News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

Discuss! Which books to movie projects do you like? Which don't you like?

Started by Redwallfan7, April 03, 2012, 03:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coobreedan

Quote from: MatthiasMan on April 05, 2012, 07:41:49 PM
I think they ruined Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs. The book as a kid was so good.

I love the film. I used to know it word for word. "When it rains, put on a coat...OF SPRAY ON SHOES!"
I might read the book if I can find it.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

MatthiasMan

I LOVE that quote. It is so funny.

White One6193

Quote from: Bragoon on April 05, 2012, 05:23:00 PM
WhiteOne says it was in the books, but I don't remember it.  I haven't read them in a long time though, so I defer to his reference. 

Still, whether it was there or not, I think it would have been better to deliberately shy away from it instead of drawing attention to it, due to Susan's impending fall.   

Jahwohl, mein Herr. Edmund stayed the same, though. The scene I'm referring to is on the last three pages of "Caspian", when Aslan created the Door.

"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Nightfire

Quote from: Lutra on April 06, 2012, 10:55:57 AM
Quote from: Nightfire on April 05, 2012, 08:25:08 PM
I hate the movies that they made out of the Rats of NIMH books. They called Mr.s Frisby "Mrs. Brisby" in the movie, made Mr. Ages a grumpy old hermit instead of a lovable doctor, and they made the rats use swords. And Jenner is NOT supposed to show up in Mrs. Frisby's story!!!!

Rats of NIMH is never a book I picked up to read, only watched Don Bluth's movie, which I actually do enjoy and consider it one of my favorite animated films because it goes back to the darker Disney days in style and character.  Yes, Mr. Ages is grumpy, but he does help Mrs Brisby (named such to avoid a legal dispute).  I said it in the Guardians topic, movies can not be a straight up rendition of the book and work in most cases because you can't read emotion like you can read a book.  Things have to change to bring things out visually, and make a story work visually.

Yeah, but they made it a little too weird. They made it seem like the rats' technology was 'magical' and for some reason, the animals had SWORDS!!! To me, it seemed like they were trying to turn it into Redwall, which was unacceptable to me. I know if you only ever saw the movie, and never read the book, then it would seem fine. But I suggest you read the book, then you'll see why I get so riled up about the movie.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

MatthiasMan

Quote from: Coobreedan on April 12, 2012, 08:27:07 PM
Quote from: MatthiasMan on April 05, 2012, 07:41:49 PM
I think they ruined Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs. The book as a kid was so good.

I love the film. I used to know it word for word. "When it rains, put on a coat...OF SPRAY ON SHOES!"
I might read the book if I can find it.

Wait, isn't it," YOU put on a coat?

Nightfire

Who knows. Notice he said
QuoteI used to know it word for word.
The emphasis is mine.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Gears

The lightning thief. 'Nuff said. If i hadn't have read the book first, i wouldn't have known what i was watching!
Yeah, I do stuff sometimes.

Nightfire

The Eragon movie DEFINITELY ruined the books! It didn't correspond with the books AT ALL!!!! The graphics on Saphira and the Urgals were about the only thing that was cool; the rest was atrocious, and I wanted to scream, cry, and throw a book at the TV all at once when I saw it.

Bragoon

How could I have forgotten the tragedy that was Doctor Dolittle. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Icefire

AAHHH!!!! That would be every movie ever made based off of a book (with the exeption of Meet the Robinsons....it's hard to be annoyed when the book is a plotless picture book...)!!!!!!!
I will be back....there is nothing I enjoy more than tearing apart movies based off of books! ;D
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Bragoon

I thought the Hunger Games was done well.  Not too much that strayed, and those seemed to be minor details, like President Snow's extra involvement, which was really just preliminary work for the second book/movie.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Icefire

Quote from: Bragoon on April 24, 2012, 03:10:32 AM
I thought the Hunger Games was done well.  Not too much that strayed, and those seemed to be minor details, like President Snow's extra involvement, which was really just preliminary work for the second book/movie.
Yeah, I'd be willing to give that one a 7 or 8 out of 10, but it still could have been better.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Nightfire

Twilight movies ruined the books completely. I hated the movies. The books are okay, but Bella still strikes me as self-absorbed, and Edward is all self-pitying. But I do agree that the moveis ruined the books, although Breaking Dawn Part 1 did pretty good. They drew out the whole honeymoon scene a bit too much, though.

Firehawke

Quote from: Bragoon on April 24, 2012, 03:06:47 AM
How could I have forgotten the tragedy that was Doctor Dolittle. 

The original with Rex Harrison, or the movies with Eddie Murphy?
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

psybox

the one with 'enry 'iggins was good.