Movie: The Hobbit

Started by Redwaller, May 16, 2012, 12:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did you read The Hobbit

Yes
No
What's that

MatthiasMan

I don't know but I love quoting the trailer.

Bilbo:"Can you promise that I will come back?"

Gandolf:". . .No. . .But if you do, you will not be the same."

*Scene change*

Bilbo:"My name is Bilbo Baggins."

Golem:"Bagginses, wot is a Bagginses?"

Hahaha. I love that trailer and the music with Golem is so weird. It's all like:

Hmm.           Hmh.
Hmm..          Hmmh        Hmm.            Hmmm.  
                                                Hmm              Hmm,
                                                                               Hmmm..

AbbotAlf0805

I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.

Primrosewarrior

I wonder if shelob could talk. ungoliant could. I dont think it could just skip a generation

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Peter Jackson has just confirmed that the Hobbit will be a trilogy now.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Rainshadow

Wait!  Three movies that we have to watch?  Not one 9 hour long movie?  Awww.  Darn.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

psilocybin

I know that lots of people here are fans of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings books and movies but did you guys realize that hobbits may have actually been REAL???

In 2003 on the island of Flores in Indonesia nine partial skeletons were discovered resulting in the discovery of a new species of human which was subsequently named 'Homo Floresiensis'

While there is still ongoing debate whether or not this species is more akin to apes rather than humans, the discovery is still fascinating.

Lots of information about these real hobbits can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_floresiensis

Felldoh154

I'm doubtful on that one

Redwaller

Rumors, rumors...

I'm reading The Hobbit for the second time, but this time I read it in English.

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 30, 2012, 04:58:56 PM
Peter Jackson has just confirmed that the Hobbit will be a trilogy now.
I bet Peter Jackson was seeing dollar signs when he made that announcement.

Seriously though, I think that whole idea is stupid. Two films was bad enough (I hated the gap between the two Harry Potters), but now three?! "The Lord of the Rings" is different, because there are three volumes in it. But "The Hobbit" is only one, and much shorter than any of the LOTR books! I know he said he'd include things from the Appendices, but isn't the movie called "The Hobbit" and not "The Hobbit + The Appendices"?

I think it seems like an obvious plot to make more money. People pay to see movies, so if they make three movies they'll get even more money! Besides, Peter Jackson's films are already long enough by average to include all the detail from "The Hobbit". According to IMDB all three of the LOTR movies makes it to the list of the longest films to play in a cinema. They were all long enough to include all the main detail from the books, and even more. As mentioned, "The Hobbit" is shorter than those, so it would be easier to squeeze it in to one film.

Just my two cents there. Not trying to disrespect Peter Jackson because I loved his work on the LOTR films and a few of his other movies, I just really don't agree with this move.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

The main switch is from the more, laid-back adventure of the Hobbit to a far-more, connected to LotR stance. For instance, the extra filming to be created to flesh out three films will be of Dol Guldor, the dwarves of Erebor, the White Council and Gandalf and Radagast. This will greater connect the universes.
My personal bet will be the third film's name will be The Hobbit: Ian McKellen Sneaking Around for Three Hours, but I could be wrong.

Shellhound

I must say that Peter Jackson is kind of going George Lucas on us, which I never thought would happen.  It is a bit of a cash grab, and to quote the LOTR, it feels thin, like butter scraped over too much bread.  But on the upside, we'll soon have 24 hours of Middle Earth!  (assuming he does extended editions)
Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right.
The law of Badger Lords
Lord Brocktree

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I'd wait until at least 2014 to do a Lucas comparison.

Felldoh154

3 movies= 3 times the fun :D

Redwallfan7

I can't wait to read it, I still need to get it from my library.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Firehawke

I'm so glad that they are doing a third movie so that they can tell more of the story.  I hate it when things have to be cut out!
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!