News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

Meat

Started by Redwaller, May 24, 2012, 11:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwallfan7

I personally think eating dogs and cats is cruel it's just my opinion
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Lily

I've eaten all the usual meat, and I even ate whale once. :( It was at my welcome party here, my new co-workers gave me something to eat and told me it would be delicious. It wasn't until after I'd eaten it that they told me it was whale.

Does jellyfish count as meat?

Flandor

Quote from: Lily on June 04, 2012, 06:10:45 AM
I've eaten all the usual meat, and I even ate whale once. :( It was at my welcome party here, my new co-workers gave me something to eat and told me it would be delicious. It wasn't until after I'd eaten it that they told me it was whale.

Does jellyfish count as meat?

I would've been pretty upset if that happened to me :(
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

DanielofRedwall

Eating dog and cat might seem weird and cruel for us, but it is normal for some cultures.

I've eaten all the usual. The most unusual thing I've eaten is kangaroo, which isn't that strange here. It tastes a bit like cow, except a bit rougher and stronger in taste. It does feel weird though, eating one of our national emblems.  :P I don't feel bad eating meat, but there are some meats I just couldn't eat because I would feel bad for doing so. Rabbit and now kangaroo for example.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Lily

I'm not really a fan of kangaroo, it has a really... I don't know how to describe it, strong taste? Rough is a good way to put it, Daniel. I've also eaten emu and crocodile, while we're talking about eating our national icons. ;)

Quote from: Flandor on June 04, 2012, 07:05:15 AM
I would've been pretty upset if that happened to me :(
Yeah, Japanese people don't really get that it's kind of a big deal to eat whale where I come from. It's still a little exotic for them, but completely normal.

Flandor

I try to be understanding about other cultures, and its part of my belief system to eat anything that is offered to me, but its still hard to contemplate eating something like a whale.  I couldn't eat dog even if I wanted to (which I don't) because its on the list of meats the Buddha forbade the eating of.

But I don't eat much meat.  Pork in particular makes me feel terrible. 
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Lily

Yeah, that's why I don't make a big deal out of it when the people I'm with do eat whale. I may not agree with it, but it's part of their culture and I'm not going to make a fuss about it.

I have to admit, I really like pork. I couldn't eat it for a while after I saw the movie Babe as a kid, though. ;)

Flandor

Oh don't get me wrong; pork and bacon taste fabulous.  I eat it sometimes, I just try to moderate my intake.  I don't abstain from eating meat because I believe it's an important part of our diet.  Just as my pet rats, who are omnivorous, need small amounts of animal protein in their diets, I believe people do as well.  I say thanks to all my food because be it vegetable or meat, it had to die so that I may live, as well as the countless insects and rodents killed by pesticides, plows, poison, pollution etc.

But it is everyone's individual choice what they consume and I would never condemn anyone for eating meat, nor for being vegetarian or vegan.  Everyone has to find their own way.

...*steps off soapbox*

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Lily on June 04, 2012, 07:16:45 AM
I'm not really a fan of kangaroo, it has a really... I don't know how to describe it, strong taste? Rough is a good way to put it, Daniel. I've also eaten emu and crocodile, while we're talking about eating our national icons. ;)
No, I'm not a fan either. It does have a pretty strong taste. I think I might have tried emu as well, but I can't remember if I have.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Tiria Wildlough

Oh, I love kangaroo meat! Frog meat is good too, it tastes like fiddly chicken. ;D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Redwaller

Hey, I forgot frog!!!!!!!!!!

Redwaller

Kangaroo must be good...

Redwaller

*Bump*

I'll bring this topic back up from the depths of the void for the new members.

And also add that I had some ostrich terrine the other day and it was quite good!

Dawnwing

I've had....

More typical things:
Beef, Pork, Chicken, Turkey, various fish, shrimp

"Fancy" things:
Cornish game hen, lobster (which I tried for the first time at age 21 this summer!)

More unusual things:
Venison (well, it's *kinda* unusual), Black bear

Kitsune

Chicken, Beef(beef, steak, etc.), Lamb, Turkey, Ham(ham, bacon, pork, etc.), Alligator(jerky), and possibly Kangaroo(jerky) I don't remember