News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Lego: (non Redwall)

Started by Griffen, July 02, 2012, 05:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

what should we build first? (give me ideas so i can add them)

ship (water)
8 (28.6%)
ship (air)
5 (17.9%)
ship (space)
12 (42.9%)
car
1 (3.6%)
city
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Buzz_Bumble

The Lego Star Wars sets are still released for the original movies, as well as sets for the Clone Wars and there's now sets for vehicles and minifigs from The Old Republic online game.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 21, 2013, 08:00:11 AM
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on May 20, 2013, 11:48:19 PM
I enjoy Legos somewhat...

Aaaarrrghhh!! The dreaded "Legos" word again.  :(

Lego's is a plural form and completely legit! LEGO is the company, Lego's can be used to describe many bricks!
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

'ov aboot ve caw ze plural form Legi, or mayhapz Legae?
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on May 22, 2013, 05:45:11 PM
'ov aboot ve caw ze plural form Legi, or mayhapz Legae?

Because we don't have Northern accents.  :P  ;D

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: danflorreguba on May 22, 2013, 04:27:26 PM
Lego's is a plural form and completely legit!

Nope.

"Lego's" (with an apostrophe) is meaningless nonsense when used by itself. It only makes sense if you're talking about something owned by the Lego company, e.g. Lego's head office.

"Legos" (without an apostrophe) is also meaningless nonsense and is not the "legit" plural of anything at all - the Lego company even officially disapproves of the word "Legos" and only ever allows "Lego" to appear in things like press releases and advertising. The correct plurals for the products are "Lego bricks / blocks" and "Lego sets".

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Leatho Shellhound

I have some legos

Look at some of my lego creations here
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 23, 2013, 08:00:50 AM
Quote from: danflorreguba on May 22, 2013, 04:27:26 PM
Lego's is a plural form and completely legit!

Nope.

"Lego's" (with an apostrophe) is meaningless nonsense when used by itself. It only makes sense if you're talking about something owned by the Lego company, e.g. Lego's head office.

"Legos" (without an apostrophe) is also meaningless nonsense and is not the "legit" plural of anything at all - the Lego company even officially disapproves of the word "Legos" and only ever allows "Lego" to appear in things like press releases and advertising. The correct plurals for the products are "Lego briocks / blocks" and "Lego sets".

Except that not every LEGO is not a brick! A lot of mine aren't bricks, they are many different things, and need a way of expression without false referencing. There are some words that have different apostrophe placements to show the difference between plural and ownership, and by default Lego's would be the plural (last I checked, I could be wrong on this one) and Legos' was ownership. There are a lot of ins and outs of English, especially in different versions.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah've alvayz prefered tae zae "It'z" vhen zayin' ztuff like "The temple, it'z ceilin' iz collapzin'!" juzt like talkin' aboot ovnerzhip " My Father's chair broke.". Zat arguement zat vordz vith 'z at ze end iz "___'z. = ___ iz, zae zerefore it'z = it iz" alvayz irritatez me. Accordin' tae zat argument zen: "My Father'z chair broke. = My Father iz chair broke.", an zat doeznae make zenze na, doez it?

Buzz_Bumble

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: danflorreguba on May 23, 2013, 05:52:04 PM
Except that not every LEGO is not a brick! A lot of mine aren't bricks, they are many different things, and need a way of expression without false referencing.

"Lego parts" if you want to be picky.  ::)

QuoteThere are some words that have different apostrophe placements to show the difference between plural and ownership, and by default Lego's would be the plural (last I checked, I could be wrong on this one) and Legos' was ownership. There are a lot of ins and outs of English, especially in different versions.

For ownership the apostrophe always comes before the "s", except in words that already end in "s". So "Lego's" only ever has a meaning when used in front of another word, like Lego's headquaters, Lego's financial report, Lego's press release, Lego's new product. (A plural itself never has an apostrophe, unless you're talking about something owned by all of them.)

"Legos" is a completely non-existant word made up, as usual, by lazy Americans. It is not an official word and doesn't appear anywhere on the official Lego website (or on Lego's website if you prefer). If you're a Lego employee and you use the word "Legos" you'll be sitting in the naughty corner for a month ... if you use it a second time you'll probably be fired.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 23, 2013, 10:42:22 PM
Quote from: danflorreguba on May 23, 2013, 05:52:04 PM
Except that not every LEGO is not a brick! A lot of mine aren't bricks, they are many different things, and need a way of expression without false referencing.

"Lego parts" if you want to be picky.  ::)

QuoteThere are some words that have different apostrophe placements to show the difference between plural and ownership, and by default Lego's would be the plural (last I checked, I could be wrong on this one) and Legos' was ownership. There are a lot of ins and outs of English, especially in different versions.

For ownership the apostrophe always comes before the "s", except in words that already end in "s". So "Lego's" only ever has a meaning when used in front of another word, like Lego's headquaters, Lego's financial report, Lego's press release, Lego's new product. (A plural itself never has an apostrophe, unless you're talking about something owned by all of them.)

"Legos" is a completely non-existant word made up, as usual, by lazy Americans. It is not an official word and doesn't appear anywhere on the official Lego website (or on Lego's website if you prefer). If you're a Lego employee and you use the word "Legos" you'll be sitting in the naughty corner for a month ... if you use it a second time you'll probably be fired.

Wow, you seriously lost all respect from me. "Lazy," is THE last word I'd use to describe just about everyone that I know, and you're just being insulting now.

Leatho Shellhound

Did any one look at my creations?
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Wolfhunter333

I have a lot of LEGO stuffs, my little brother got a lot of them when he was a kid and so we have a good sized tub full of 'em. Also, in reference to this ridiculous argument about whether it's LEGOS or LEGO, I'd say you can't really blame individual Americans for saying it incorrectly because that's how they've always been referred to in the U.S. I, for example never knew until now that it was simply LEGO and that LEGOS was inappropriate, and so I've adjusted accordingly. So Buzz_Bumble, you really shouldn't get so mad about it because it's really not our fault that we don't know. And danflorreguba, you really shouldn't be defending yourself because there's nothing you've done wrong, and you shouldn't defend America's habit of butchering words. I went to a British school when I was in Elementary, or Primary, school and so I learned to spell words like favourite and behaviour with the 'u'. when I went to an American school for middle, or secondary, school I got points off my essays and spelling tests because of it, and that's simply not fair. Nevertheless, this whole thread isn't supposed to be about spelling, and has nothing to do with pro-British, or pro-American views on word spelling, because we all just want to hear about LEGO creations, because they're awesome. On another note,
Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on May 24, 2013, 02:37:14 AM
Did any one look at my creations?
I tried, however I couldn't get the videos to work, mayhaps you ought to try pictures as well as videos. However from what I could see of them from the little thumbnails of the videos they looked pretty cool  ;D