News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Lego: (non Redwall)

Started by Griffen, July 02, 2012, 05:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

what should we build first? (give me ideas so i can add them)

ship (water)
8 (28.6%)
ship (air)
5 (17.9%)
ship (space)
12 (42.9%)
car
1 (3.6%)
city
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Buzz_Bumble

This is what you call a Lego creation.  ;D

A life-size Lego Star Wars X-wing starfighter has been unveiled in New York (Gizmodo link) using millions of Lego blocks. There's also some Star Wars figures with it made oput of Lego blocks.

By the way, I was wrong above, it's not "Lego parts", it's "Lego pieces" ... which covers blocks, wheels, windows, minifig head, etc., etc.

Sorry if I upset anyone, but I simply find it extremely rude and annoying when people misuse words. It's like if your name is Anthony and somebody keeps calling you Tony either just to be annoying or can't be bothered to learn what it really is. I never said nor meant all Americans were lazy, just that whoever came up with the term was butchering the word for similar reasons

Companies have extremely strict rules about how their company, products, and even logo and brand colours should be used In a similar way to the non-existant "Legos", there also no such words as "iMacs", "iPod Touches", etc.  You will never see Apple product names in a plural form like that. Officially it should always be "iMac computers" and "iPod Touch devices".

WoodlandWarrior

I once saw a life size R2D2 and Darth Vader made from legoez.

Hehe legoez.  That one is for you buzz bumble. :P ;D

All kidding aside, some people are really creative when using lego sets.  They really make amazing things.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Buzz_Bumble

The people who work for the Lego company make all sorts of great displays and design many sets, some of which never go on sale. The Legoland theme parks look amazing, although I've never been there and only seen photos and video clips.

We used to have quite a lot of Lego sets. I used to make my own Lego space freighters pretending they were like the Millennium Falcon ... until my idiot brother broke the large base-board I used.

I'd have to check with the couple of people I know who used to work for Lego, but I have a vague recollection that the word is actually also meant to only ever be used in capital letters, "LEGO".

WoodlandWarrior

I think you are correct buzz bumble.  I am pretty sure lego is always spelled out LEGO.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Maudie

I think the plural form of Lego is Legoes, not Legos, for some reason. ::)
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

CrazyPug37

South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

Buzz_Bumble

Here's some more Lego creations ...

Sheepo's Garage has some great looking cars made using Lego Technic pieces (very complex models, complete with gearboxes, etc. and remote controlled).

ChrisMcVeigh.com has some nice mini-scale versions of computers, iPads, food items and Lego versions of scenes (e.g. Michael Jackson's Thriller).

Lily

I just merged this thread with an older LEGO thread to consolidate everything. Carry on!

One of my favourite LEGO creations is this Serenity. There's even a toy dinosaur for Wash!

I went to Legoland Discovery Centre in Tokyo a few weeks ago. It was obviously aimed at a younger audience, but I still enjoyed myself. My seven and nine-year-old cousins loved it. They had a section where you could build your own car and then race it down a ramp. Mine flew off the edge and smashed all over the floor. :D

And I know this seems to have blown over somewhat, but can we please not argue about American vs. British English here? Making your opinions known is fine, but there's no use getting angry at each other over something so trivial. Hopefully that's the last we'll hear on the matter. *hint hint*

Maudie

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 17, 2013, 07:57:32 AM
Quote from: CrazyPug37 on May 16, 2013, 11:43:50 PM
Actually, Americans don't leave the "u" out of color and other words with the same base, like behavior, that's just the way we spell it in America.  American English and British English are mainly the same languages, with some words spelled differently or sounded differently.  Americans don't forget to add the extra "u", it's just the way we spell our words.

Except it's called English because it was created by people in England (admittedly they stole most of it from other languages) ... why do Americans think that they have a right to go around changing the spelling and meaning of words to suit themselves, and then push their butchered version onto everytone else? If Americans wanted they own language, then they should have created they own with a new name.

It's similar to the idiocy of the current fad in Hollyweird of doing "remakes" which butcher someone else's hard work, steal the original name, but in reality create a very different show / movie that should have had a new name.  :(

Actually, the English took some American words and changed them too, for example, airplanes were created in America but the English took the word airplane and changed it to aeroplane
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Buzz_Bumble

The evidence is that the Wright Brothers were not the first to fly, which means the areoplane (like many other inventions they claim) wasn't actually created in America. Besides, "airplane" is simply a lazy American not bothering to keep the "o" in aeroplane" when pronouncing it.  :)

Quotebut there's no use getting angry at each other over something so trivial

Doing things properly and obeying the established rules and standards is never "trivial". The roads would be a huge mess if nobody obeyed the driving rules (as it is only about 10% of people bother to obey them). English is already the most difficult language for a non-native to learn, and having differing sets of spellings and meanings (not to mention measurements, date formats, etc., etc.) only adds to the difficulty.

In France they even have a committee which decides which new words will and won't be adopted into the official French language.

Maudie

Just one question, do the English spell air like aero? That's crazy.

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Wolfhunter333 on May 24, 2013, 06:57:10 AM
I tried, however I couldn't get the videos to work, mayhaps you ought to try pictures as well as videos. However from what I could see of them from the little thumbnails of the videos they looked pretty cool  ;D

Quote from: CrazyPug37 on May 25, 2013, 06:04:24 PM
Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on May 24, 2013, 02:37:14 AM
Did any one look at my creations?
Nice creations!

Thanks! Lots of them are not built any more, so I can't take pictures of them, sorry.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Obeyin' ze eztablizhed rulez iz vone zin'. Arguin' over 'ov a vord iz zpelt iz another. (An' aboot zoze traffic zingz...ze number iz really zat 'igh? Ah zought it vaz lezz zan zat.)

Quote from: Mask on May 27, 2013, 10:42:31 PM

'ov zae?
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Lily

I meant the argument itself was trivial because Americans are going to continue using American English, Australians, New Zealanders, etc., are going to continue using British English, and arguing over who is right isn't going to change that. I also think using our language correctly is important; poor English is also one of my pet peeves.

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 27, 2013, 10:27:17 PM
English is already the most difficult language for a non-native to learn, and having differing sets of spellings and meanings (not to mention measurements, date formats, etc., etc.) only adds to the difficulty.
I know. I'm an ESL teacher. ;) I'm Australian and I teach English in a country that uses American English almost exclusively. I just teach my kids that there are differences in English just like there are differences in regional Japanese and it doesn't matter which they use (at this level) as long as they use it correctly.

We're on the same page, Buzz_Bumble. I also prefer British English because it was what I was brought up with, but I accept the face that Americans are going to keep using their version. That's what they were brought up with, that's what is correct for them.

Quote from: Mask on May 27, 2013, 10:42:31 PM
No, we got aeroplane from French. The prefix aero is originally from the Greek word for air. ;)

Anyway, *puts moderator hat on* we're off topic. Let's get back to it.

LEGO.

Maudie

QuoteAnd I know this seems to have blown over somewhat, but can we please not argue about American vs. British English here? Making your opinions known is fine, but there's no use getting angry at each other over something so trivial. Hopefully that's the last we'll hear on the matter. *hint hint*

Sorry, I didn't see that post. Just defending America. ;)