Martin the Warrior: The book.

Started by martins#1fan, July 02, 2011, 08:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martins#1fan

And you are right, he dose NOT look like a big weasel. ( stoat )
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

sabretache5611

Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Osu on July 04, 2011, 06:09:20 PM
Yeah! It looks just like a weasel to me, though. Here's the wikipedia page on 'em - I know, I know, never trust wikipedia, but it's something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoat
Awww... Stoats are so cute! And that is coming from a male! Also, stoat is such a weird word...
Received mostly negative reviews.

martins#1fan

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on July 05, 2011, 05:33:22 AM
Quote from: Osu on July 04, 2011, 06:09:20 PM
Yeah! It looks just like a weasel to me, though. Here's the wikipedia page on 'em - I know, I know, never trust wikipedia, but it's something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoat
Awww... Stoats are so cute! And that is coming from a male! Also, stoat is such a weird word...
You are so right!

Icefire

Quote from: sabretache5611 on July 05, 2011, 01:04:48 AM
Quote from: Osu on July 04, 2011, 04:17:26 PM
Don't hit me, anyone, but Martin the Warrior is one of my least favorite books. I have a hard time staying interested long enough to finish it for some reason. Can't imagine why.
i can't imagine why you are disinterested, but yeah i get it.  some books of Redwall i like more than others and other I find...well...not so good.  martin the warrior was the first redwall book i ever read and while i found it a little long winded at the time, i liked the plot and the action.
I LOVE Martin the Warrior...tragic as it is...but I know exactly what you mean. I have the same experience with Doomwyte. I don't know why, but I didn't like that book. The other books all got me hooked by the 3rd chapter, but Doomwyte didn't hook me until the intense battle scenes...there was also something about the end I didn't like.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Log-a-Log

Yes, Doomwyte was not one of the better books
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Log-a-Log on July 06, 2011, 01:26:28 AM
Yes, Doomwyte was not one of the better books

I'd have to say that the series did get a little repetitive for me. The same sort of thing happened over and over and over. It made the books look.... Predictable... Still, it's my favorite series but sometimes I need a break from it.... A very very small break....
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Osu

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on July 05, 2011, 01:38:10 AMMaybe because it had only one hare/rabbit in it?
Yes, perhaps that was it. XD Your guys' shock and awe is highly amusing, I must say. ;D

And just to play devil's advocate - I quite liked Doomwyte.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

sabretache5611

Quote from: Osu on July 06, 2011, 02:59:40 AM
Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on July 05, 2011, 01:38:10 AMMaybe because it had only one hare/rabbit in it?
Yes, perhaps that was it. XD Your guys' shock and awe is highly amusing, I must say. ;D

And just to play devil's advocate - I quite liked Doomwyte.

i liked Doomwyte...and i didn't like Doomwyte.  i loved the heroes (thumbs ups to laird of bowlaynee with his fiddle + metal shafts), but it seems as if the villain...well.. the villain was lacking...i mean baliss was scary dont' get me wrong, but when he was reduced to a head butting water seeking to cool his head adder...i found him pathetic.  korvus skur was my least favorite villain...i mean...he simply wasn't...evil enough.  or didn't strike me as evil enough.
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Scragg the Weasel

I liked doomwyte because it was fresh, to me anyways. I liked how Bisky took on that young bumbling mouse role most of the book, shades of early Matthias, but I also never read it. I listened to it, maybe thats why it felt fresh, the voicing of Ballis and all the ravens was realistic sounding and the songs were AMAZING! But I will admit it seemed slow, plus I hated when all those moles died.
Where do I sign?

Gonff

Martin the Warrior was the 2nd Redwall book I read. (After reading Salamandastron I realized it was a series and started from the beginning.) I can't say it was my favorite but it is probably in the top 7.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Osu

Doomwyte did strike me as being darker than all of the other books, I must admit that. But this topic isn't about Doomwyte, so I'll get off that one... actually, might have to make a new thread for it. It makes for some interesting discussion, I think.

And just because I need to say something on topic, MtW was indeed one of the first books I read. It used to be one of my favorites, actually - I was one of those scary rabid Martin fangirls back in the day, you know. Terrifying, right? My tastes seem to have changed rather a lot since then.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Tiria Wildlough

Back to topic...
I was watching the beginning of Martin the Warrior. When I saw the picture of Martin with the rose beside it, I thought 'Oh, dear.'
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Lutra

Martin is one of my all-time favorite books of the series because of the deeper conflict between all the characters.  There's lot of little sidethings going on, and you can tell characters want to be pulled in all directions.  Its a really good early example of Redwall before everything got more or less predictable. :)

As for the stoat thing, yeah its mentioned in the book, Badrang is a stoat.  If you only had the TV series to go by though, would you think he's a stoat based on the design?  Look at this:

Looks more like a wolf to me.  ;D  Can't blame the OP's confusion.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

martins#1fan