Old ROC members here?

Started by Flandor, July 28, 2012, 12:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flandor

I wasn't sure just what section this belonged in, so forgive me if it would be better suited in Websites or somewhere else.

I was wondering if there were any members here who have been a part of the Redwall Online community for longer than this forum has been online.  You can list sites you were on, and who knows, maybe you'll reconnect with people you met under different user names and didn't even know they were here as well.

I was a long time member of Corsairs of the Black flag, and then Adael after COtBF closed down.  After that I got into other fandoms besides Redwall though.  I also participated in the ROCwide RP tournament that was held but I forget which year.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

DanielofRedwall

There were stacks of Redwallers on YouTube at one point and I was one of them. I didn't make any vids, but I chatted with people on their channels, commented on videos and made requests and did things like that. My name was Footywizz (I'm a huge fan of Aussie Rules football). Then we got attacked by a huge group of trolls and, like many others, I gave up after that. I've been planning on making a Redwall channel for a while now, so we'll see how that goes.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I joined the Redwall Wiki as Mattimeo of Redwall back sometime in '07. I never joined any other ROC site, and remained a lurker beyond from the wiki.
The oldies as I reckon them would be ROCers from the mid to late 90s.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Flandor

For me,  the "old days" were the late nineties- early 2000's.  I wasn't old enough to read before then.  At that time it felt like the ROC was booming.  Terrouge was still active, DAB was in it's earlier years, etc. 

I was just curious how many of the older member had participated in sites long since closed down or inactive.

I didn't even know there was much of a YouTube community at one time, Daniel, that's interesting.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Flandor on July 29, 2012, 03:59:19 AM.
I didn't even know there was much of a YouTube community at one time, Daniel, that's interesting.
Yeah, it was pretty strong from around 2007-2009ish. There was fan dubs, fan art, AMVs etc. You can still find some videos on YouTube by people like matthiasofredwall, VipertoothProductions, Felldohfansquirrel, Hethrin and Hethrinlives (he did some great parodies), skipperofotterfolk etc, but I think most people have since deleted their accounts and videos. It's a shame, some where really clever and well made.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Tiria Wildlough

I wish I could have been part of it. It seems like all the best ROC stuff happened around the time I was born. :P Now when you look at all the old websites, it feels like you're in a ghost town. :(
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Calaron

Yeah, early 2000's for me too.  Loved it.

Flandor

What sites were you part of, Cal?

Redwallfan7

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Redwallfan7

Oh *slaps forehead* Okay, I feel dumb  ::)
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Lily

I was a member of DAB in the early days back when Arven was the ringleader. Good times. :) I couldn't remember exactly when that was, but I do remember entering a (horrible) song for the DAB song contest... and I found out that was in February 1999. Ha... I was also a member of Holt Freewater. I made so many Redwall friends in that time. Not many of my school friends read the series, so it was really great to go online and be able to chat about Redwall without people looking at me funny!

Flandor

I used to lurk about DAB quite a bit but was too busy with other sites to justify joining in.  I also have very fond memories of friends I made online at that time, a lot of whom were significantly older than me and helped me grow as a writer and thinker.  But it's also wonderful to make all these new friends here on these forums, and I always hope I can help the younger members in some of the same ways those older members used to help me.

BrookSkimmer

I've been part of the ROC for about 13 years now I guess. My first site was Holt Otterwake and my first character was a squirrel named Skiptree Brushdog.

After this I joined INSU where my most infamous character, Zilaco Wyndshard was created. He became captain of the Verminkeel. He's been my "go to" character ever since. I was a part of INSU until Ublaz moved on. I hear there's still a skeleton crew there, but I'm not a part of it. (Zilaco is the fox in my avatar BTW)

After this moved on to Fort Ruddler where my other oldest character was created. Good old Teltoli Riverbuck! Love that hare  :) Loved my time at Ruddler, couldn't have asked for a better RP site!

Was also on Corsairs of the Black Flag (Flandor, who were you on there?) where I played Rapsydeo Taung the Captain of the Wasp if I remember correctly. Good times!

These all died down and I RPed but not as much until I found the Vulpine Imperium. I brought Zilaco back and created some other great characters that are dear to me. Zilaco became Captain of the Blackship and I'm a Minister there now (a moderator).

I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the sites I was on but those are the main ones. I've so loved my time in the ROC and it has been defining not only for my creativity and writing but has also been a big part of my growing up.

Thanks to all who made the ROC great! May it's golden years been long remembered and may this site help to usher in a new era!!

Flandor

You were Rapsydeo?? That's awesome :) I played Kronos Bloodfur on the Blood-Tide.  He was a searat.  That was my very first RP site ever.  I was still quite young and a pretty poor RPer but that site had a lot to do with improving my skills :)