Who is your favorite female character? (Up to Loamhedge)

Started by Moss the Warriormaid, July 29, 2012, 07:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is your fav female charcter?

Laterose (Also known as Rose)
Cregga Rose Eyes
Arula
Trisscar (Also known as Triss)
Mariel (Also known as Storm Gullwhacker)
Martha
Songbreeze (Also known as Song)
Honorable Rose (Also known as Hon Rose)
Jess Squirrel
Cornflower
Kurda
Sarobando (Also known as Saro)
Piknim
Craklyn
Tansy
Grath Longfletch
Abbess Germaine
Bella
Fwirl
Mhera
Fortunata
Winifred

Skipper

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Capn Greypatch on August 03, 2012, 02:39:19 AM
Quote from: danflorreguba on August 02, 2012, 08:32:21 PM
First off, she nearly killed Gabool the Wild without breaking a sweat, and with NO experience what so ever... This is far worse than Matthias over Cluny in many ways, Matthias had had at least SLIGHT experience, he had a grueling battle beforehand, and he won because of Clunys' stupidity. that's one, two, she is ALWAYS the biggest and baddest (to use the term lightly) she is ALWAYS right, is ALWAYS the most important factor (usually by a long shot), and Never makes a bad decision... THAT is a Mary Sue!

Interesting point of view...

I'd say she had lots of experience - she got thrown into the sea and landed on shore, stranded, having to survive by herself...that takes talent. :P
And hey, she's not always the most important factor...for instance, Lord Rawnblade played a pretty big role too..
As for never making a bad decision, I'm sure we could pick out other characters who didn't make mistakes either.

Although, maybe the effectiveness of her gullwhacker was exaggerated a bit...

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :P

Precisely why I hate her, and you only proved my point further... Which is that Mariel is a Mary Sue... And a rather annoying one at that.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Flandor

Some people liked Mariel, danflorreguba ;) A lot of people like a certain Laterose of Noonvale, who I found Sueish and personally don't like, but I can understand that other people liked her character.  Different strokes for different folks.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Redwallfan7

Quote from: Flandor on August 06, 2012, 06:20:35 AM
Some people liked Mariel, danflorreguba ;) A lot of people like a certain Laterose of Noonvale, who I found Sueish and personally don't like, but I can understand that other people liked her character.  Different strokes for different folks.
why don't you like her? Not trying to be rude, I'm just wondering
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Flandor

I don't want to open up the "who is a Sue, who isn't a Sue" can of worms, because that never ends nicely, but I will give a few reasons I don't care for her character.

Mostly, I just find her to be a plot device.  Rather than feeling like a round character to me, she feels more like a prop, whose only purpose is to make Martin happy and then sad.  She is designed to be his perfect match, so that they can have a lovely romance that ends tragically.  I find that a bit boring.  I wish Mr. Jacques had made her have a few more faults and be a bit more real I suppose. 

Mariel, on the other hand, drove the other characters nuts at quite a few points.  She was brash, headstrong, and rude, but also had admirable qualities like bravery and a strong spirit.  This may not have made her the most traditionally likeable, but it made her feel like a round character, which I always prefer. 

Those are my opinions.  I don't wish to start a huge debate about them.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Redwallfan7

Quote from: Flandor on August 06, 2012, 08:00:35 AM
I don't want to open up the "who is a Sue, who isn't a Sue" can of worms, because that never ends nicely, but I will give a few reasons I don't care for her character.

Mostly, I just find her to be a plot device.  Rather than feeling like a round character to me, she feels more like a prop, whose only purpose is to make Martin happy and then sad.  She is designed to be his perfect match, so that they can have a lovely romance that ends tragically.  I find that a bit boring.  I wish Mr. Jacques had made her have a few more faults and be a bit more real I suppose. 

Mariel, on the other hand, drove the other characters nuts at quite a few points.  She was brash, headstrong, and rude, but also had admirable qualities like bravery and a strong spirit.  This may not have made her the most traditionally likeable, but it made her feel like a round character, which I always prefer. 

No worries, I respect others opinions on here.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Dannflor

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Redwaller

Did I already post on this topic? Ho well, here's my favorite: Laterose of Noonvale!

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Flandor on August 06, 2012, 08:00:35 AM

To be honest, I found that Infuriating.

And I'd still have to say that Mariel is way over-powered.

Quote from: Redwaller on August 09, 2012, 06:43:14 PM
Did I already post on this topic? Ho well, here's my favorite: Laterose of Noonvale!

Why didn't you vote?
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Flandor

I'm not sure how someone else's opinion of a fictional character should infuriate you.  I didn't say "People who like Rose are dumb and should change their opinion," I said I didn't care for her character and gave reasons why.  People interpret literature in very different ways, and what is appealing to one person can be boring or unlikeable to another.  It doesn't mean anyone is in the wrong, it is simply a differing perspective.  

Unless of course you meant Mariel's behavior that was infuriating, in which case I understand.  I could certainly see how many people wouldn't like her.

Redwallfan7

I personally didn't care for Mariel's weapon. I think sabres, daggers, and slings are cooler.

Tiria Wildlough

Well, I have to say that her Gullwhacker was kind of cool, but I don't know how deadly it would be. :P
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

W0NWILL

Put it this way, how would you feel if you were struck by something slightly softer and lighter than a rock? And it would be about fist sized. Enjoy your concussion.

Tiria Wildlough

Yeah, it would probably hurt, but it would never kill you.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

W0NWILL

There's no need for it to kill you if it knocks you out for long enough for the person to run away, if they choose. Though you never know if it might kill you, especially in the head and neck area.