News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Any Matrix fans out there? The Matrix could REALLY be REAL

Started by psilocybin, July 31, 2012, 04:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psilocybin

Life as we know it could really just be a super advanced computer simulation.  This is according to respected scientists who have conducted legitimate studies.  It will be interesting to see how this theory holds up as it gains steam and further scientific scrutiny.

Basically computer binary code (1's and 0's) has been discovered in the equations of superstring theory, these are the equations scientists use to describe life.

Check it out. The Matrix is real, lets go down the rabbit hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1LCVknKUJ4

MatthiasMan

Umm, well I am Catholic so I do not believe this could happen. And even if it were that would be really stupid.

psilocybin

Quote from: MatthiasMan on July 31, 2012, 04:33:46 PM
Umm, well I am Catholic so I do not believe this could happen. And even if it were that would be really stupid.

Stupid? This theory seems just as reasonable as any other theory regarding the origins of life as we know it.  Some people believe everything was created from some all-knowing being in the clouds.  Some people believe in the 'big bang' theory.  And now some people believe in this 'simulation' theory.

All these theories are just as reasonable or possible as the next and I would never call any of them STUPID.  Your closed mindedness is disheartening.

Redwallfan7

Quote from: psilocybin on July 31, 2012, 04:44:07 PM
Quote from: MatthiasMan on July 31, 2012, 04:33:46 PM

Stupid? This theory seems just as reasonable as any other theory regarding the origins of life as we know it.  Some people believe everything was created from some all-knowing being in the clouds.  Some people believe in the 'big bang' theory.  And now some people believe in this 'simulation' theory.

All these theories are just as reasonable or possible as the next and I would never call any of them STUPID.  Your closed mindedness is disheartening.
I'm christain, so I don't believe this could happen either. I have a feeling this topic is going to cause a lot of controversy, since not everyone on here has the same religion or the same beliefs of what's going to happen. Just a warning, because subjects like these tend to grow into ugly debates quickly.  Edit: I'm not trying to point any fingers here, or be a mod. I'm just pointing out that some of our members may not agree with this.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

psilocybin

This topic was never intended to be an argument about religion. This topic was intended to discuss this fascinating new theory. I don't see what's so controversial about it.  Its just a THEORY, an educated guess, nothing has been proven, and I welcome any who disagree with it. I simply took offense to the theory being called stupid.  That just seems like a dismissive reaction, there plenty of theories I do not agree with but I would never call them stupid.

Redwallfan7

Whatever  ::). okay.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Matthias720

If you don't have something positive to add to the discussion, don't post at all.

This is a warning; do not, I repeat, DO NOT bash someone else's beliefs. Being scornful never made friends, or encouraged others. Any more of this kind of talk, and there will be consequences.

psilocybin

Quote from: Matthias720 on July 31, 2012, 05:07:45 PM
If you don't have something positive to add to the discussion, don't post at all.

This is a warning; do not, I repeat, DO NOT bash someone else's beliefs. Being scornful never made friends, or encouraged others. Any more of this kind of talk, and there will be consequences.

Your implication that I've been negative or have been bashing someone's beliefs in this thread is completely false. Once again, this thread was intended for an open-minded discussion of this theory.

To further the discussion, check this out.  Here is an equation that was developed to reflect the possibility of a civilization ever reaching the point where it would be advanced enough to create such a simulation.

No civilization will reach a level of technological maturity capable of producing simulated realities.
    No civilization reaching aforementioned technological status will produce a significant number of simulated realities, for any of a number of reasons, such as diversion of computational processing power for other tasks, ethical considerations of holding entities captive in simulated realities, etc.
    Any entities with our general set of experiences are almost certainly living in a simulation.

The following is the equation which is used to quantify those three statements:[13]

f_\textrm{sim} = \frac{f_\textrm{p}NH} {(f_\textrm{p}NH)+H}

where:

f_\textrm{p} is the fraction of all human civilizations that will reach a technological capability to program reality simulators.
    N is the average number of ancestor-simulations run by the civilizations mentioned by f_\textrm{p}.
    H is the average number of individuals who have lived in a civilization before it was able to perform reality simulation.
    f_\textrm{sim} is the fraction of all humans who live in virtual realities.

Because H will be such a large value, at least one of the three proximations will be true:

f_\textrm{p} ? 0
    N ? 0
    f_\textrm{sim} ? 1

Matthias720

I was not speaking to you. I was talking to MatthiasMan and Redwallfan7.

psilocybin

My apologies, there are so many Mathiass' on this forum I got confused :)

W0NWILL

the explanation went right over my head, could you explain it in layman's terms?

psilocybin

Quote from: W0NWILL on July 31, 2012, 05:27:27 PM
the explanation went right over my head, could you explain it in layman's terms?

Basically the equation means that one of these three statements is overwhelmingly likely to be true.

1.  No civilization will reach a level of technological maturity capable of producing simulated realities.
  2.  No civilization reaching aforementioned technological status will produce a significant number of simulated realities, for any of a number of reasons, such as diversion of computational processing power for other tasks, ethical considerations of holding entities captive in simulated realities, etc.
   3. Any entities with our general set of experiences are almost certainly living in a simulation.

Flandor

This theory has always fascinated me.  The prevalence of patterns in our lives and the universe makes me definitely wonder if this isn't the case.  It makes a lot of logical sense to me.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

MatthiasMan

Well I know that I don't believe it but that is a very cool theory. It's cool to know that other think this.

Rusvul

if life is a computer simulation, who made and programmed the computer? that would be the largest missing link as far as i can see. and this theory is really really creepy. are you suggesting that i'm not real? oh and computers were recently invented, just as that might make a difference. and i dont think this is very likely.