News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Redwall for school???

Started by Firehawke, June 14, 2011, 06:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firehawke

I got my Master's of Arts in English a few years ago and I wrote my thesis on what kids can learn from reading the Redwall series.  Before that, I used the series as the topic for an informative speech for one of my undergraduate classes.
I'm just wondering...has anyone else used Redwall for school???
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Superdreuzel

Other than reading Mossflower in class, no.
Oh wait, I wrote a book report about Mossflower in the first year of high school!
Hmm ... Dolohov ...

Mariel

I have written essays about Redwall and Mossflower for school, but because I was in 6th grade at the time it's certainly not as impressive as an undergraduate degree!  I know of a Redwall fan who compared Redwall to Macbeth for her 12th grade english class.  

Wydran Riverpaw

In elementary school, I did a book report on Mariel of Redwall, but that's it, except for reading the books at school sometimes. :P

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

I would as soon they switch the people in my school with people who wouldn't ruin a good story with rude and inappropiate remarks and jokes.

Sigh... :(
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Osu

No, but now I really, really want to!
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Astrognash

I've done book reports on Mossflower and Eulalia. I got A's on both of them. Also, I know that 12th grade English in my school has a focus on British literature, so depending on my teacher, I might be able to do something on another Redwall book in a few years.
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
"How great in number are the little minded men." - Titus Maccius Plautus
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Hi. I like Marching Band, Redwall, and Latin.

Matthias720

Being homeschooled for 7 years, I was able to incorporate Redwall into my studies on many occasions. At one point, I was even able to do a unit study on the first book. 8)

martins#1fan

Redwall, for school? Sounds odd :o
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Firehawke

It can be a bit odd at times, but mainly because it's not a traditional book and because not everyone knows the series (what's wrong with them  :P )
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Redwall Musician

Sounds cool. Reading the books taught me a lot.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Matthias720

Quote from: Redwall Musician on June 17, 2011, 08:12:41 PM
Sounds cool. Reading the books taught me a lot.
Ditto. I have found my knowledge base has increased due to reading the series over and over again. I can now solve crosswords 15% better! XD

Wot Wot!

Firehawke,
That is really amazing.  I am just about to embark on my master's in English Lit.  How cool you were able to write on Redwall!  I have some trepidation, because I'm wondering how fans of these types of books are received in the academic world: are the books given a perfunctory deconstructive critique and then tossed aside for the latest Joyce Carol Oates text or are they taken seriously? :-)
All you cowards of the land and flotsam of the sea
Who murder, pillage, loot whene'er  you please
There's a Long Patrol a waitin', we'll greet you cheerfully,
You'll hear us cry 'Eulalia' on the breeze.

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Storm

Quote from: Wydran Riverpaw on June 14, 2011, 08:28:51 PM
In elementary school, I did a book report on Mariel of Redwall, but that's it, except for reading the books at school sometimes. :P
How did they manage that?
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears.
I have come to bury Caesar, not praise him.
"Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare