News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Chapter Length?

Started by Wydran Riverpaw, July 03, 2011, 09:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wydran Riverpaw

I've been reading The Sable Quean recently, and I noticed something. Compared to some of the earlier books, there are less chapters in the book, but the chapters are longer. For example, there are I think 36 chapters in The Sable Quean, and 55 in The Long Patrol, but the ones in The Long Patrol are shorter.

Which do you prefer? Personally I like shorter chapters better, I think.

Trigoma

i like short chapters. cause i hate cutting between them to get a snack lol i like finishing them first before i stop.
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Trigoma on July 03, 2011, 10:06:51 PM
i like short chapters. cause i hate cutting between them to get a snack lol i like finishing them first before i stop.

I agree. Shorter chapters are also better cuz its easier to pick up where you left off
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Tiria Wildlough

I like long chapters. That way, if Mum is telling me to go to bed, I can just say, 'Please let me finish this chapter!'  ;) Still, short chapters are better for adding suspense.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Osu

Tiria, that's genius. XD

I don't have a preference either way. I think the earlier books switched chapters with POV for the most part and the later books don't. I suppose with the shorter chapters I felt like I was reading more, somehow... like at school, for example, when they had those reading assignments with length requirements. Uhh what was that called...? AR? I can't remember.

BUT I DIGRESS. :D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Wydran Riverpaw

I thought of another reason I like short chapters better. More awesome illustrations! :D

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Quote from: Wydran Riverpaw on July 04, 2011, 05:02:09 PM
I thought of another reason I like short chapters better. More awesome illustrations! :D

True.

As for earlier books switching POV, that would be true for the most part throughout the whole series. The real major deviant is Redwall itself.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Osu

Quote from: Wydran Riverpaw on July 04, 2011, 05:02:09 PM
Ahaha, yes, this! This just made up my mind. Shorter chapters are much better!

Taggerung: Yeah, Redwall is special like that. <3 I want to re-read it again, now. Le sigh.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

martins#1fan

I like lots of chapters and I like them long!
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Galedeep

Quote from: martins#1fan on July 04, 2011, 05:56:51 PM
I like lots of chapters and I like them long!
Well said! I agree!

AbbotPlumble

I myself love short to medium length chapters as long as there are lots of them!  That style, seems to set a very good pacing.  Brian, always had wonderful pacing, which is why I often lost track of time and got lost in his books!

DanielofRedwall

I guess I prefer shorter chapters. That way if I'm really tired I can still read a full chapter.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Redwall Musician

I want them however long BJ wants them to be. As long as there is Redwall books it does not matter.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

martins#1fan

LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Ungatt Trunn

Life is too short to rush through it.