News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie Willowwater

I felt it was appropriate for this thread

The Skarzs

Quote from: Cornflower MM on July 01, 2016, 03:19:39 PM
It appears I've lost my voice. Yaaaaaay.
Well, at least on here you can be as loud as you want with no worries. :P

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rosie Willowwater

Cornflower MM

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

The Skarzs

FOR ASGARD.

Redwall-esque
[close]
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Jetthebinturong

Cats are cute.

D'you know what I don't get? Genderbending. I'm not sure how prominent it is in you(r) guys (??????) lives but in a lot of the fandoms I'm part of, genderbending is a pretty common thing. Now there are two basic forms of genderbending. The first is where the character has the exact same personality, they're just the other gender. This is generally an excuse to dress them up in different outfits which just doesn't make any sense. Why, if their personality is the same, would they dress differently than they already do? Like people are so fond of putting genderbent Dave (Dove or Dani or whatever they want to call his GB form) Strider in short shorts when that doesn't work with "Her" character at all. Dave is incredibly self-conscious and self-loathing with a deep-seated inferiority complex; he (she) wouldn't show off a body that he (she) wasn't happy with. People don't do that.
The other kind of genderbending is to alter the personality to "fit" the other gender, but that doesn't work either. A personality adjustment makes them a different character, so there's no point to genderbending them.

TL;DR: Genderbending is illogical.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jet the binturong on July 02, 2016, 11:52:50 AM
Cats are cute.

Goes without saying. :P

I'm not sure how prominent it is in you(r) guys (??????) lives

To my brain, 'you guys' would work fine and sounds better, but then, my brain is Southern, and we all know how lazy Southern speech can get. ('Y'all' 'Mater' 'Yeller' 'Tater' 'Whaddaya' 'whadija' so on and so forth y'know what I mean)

D'you know what I don't get? Genderbending. I'm not sure how prominent it is in you(r) guys (??????) lives but in a lot of the fandoms I'm part of, genderbending is a pretty common thing. Now there are two basic forms of genderbending. The first is where the character has the exact same personality, they're just the other gender. This is generally an excuse to dress them up in different outfits which just doesn't make any sense. Why, if their personality is the same, would they dress differently than they already do? Like people are so fond of putting genderbent Dave (Dove or Dani or whatever they want to call his GB form) Strider in short shorts when that doesn't work with "Her" character at all. Dave is incredibly self-conscious and self-loathing with a deep-seated inferiority complex; he (she) wouldn't show off a body that he (she) wasn't happy with. People don't do that.
The other kind of genderbending is to alter the personality to "fit" the other gender, but that doesn't work either. A personality adjustment makes them a different character, so there's no point to genderbending them.

TL;DR: Genderbending is illogical.

The only good reason I can come up with for genderbending is because people don't like same sex couples. Why they'd be fine being in the fandom and liking the books enough to write fanfiction in the first then I have no idea. I don't often read GB stuff because it just makes no sense to me either.

Lady Ashenwyte

I just found the Tomb Kings chariot kit at a friendly local gaming store for quite a reasonable price! That was awesome, and I love the chariot models too!

:D
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rainshadow

My brother bought me Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion with all the DLCs (including the lame horse armour one :P) on Monday because it was on sale on Steam, and other than schoolwork, chores, and the occasional session of Life is Strange with my bro, I've been playing Oblivion non-stop.  Every waking moment I get, I've been playing that game.  It's so unbelievably fun, which is weird, because I really hated most of the game mechanics from the get go (especially the stupid lockpicking mini-game.  The lockpicking is so stupid in Oblivion), simply because it felt so different and old compared to Skyrim.  It's really started to grow on me, though, although I did sadly have to turn the difficulty way down from its default setting (it was in the middle of the sliding bar, which I'd guess to be medium, and I had to move it down a quarter) because with the default setting, it was taking ages to kill the simplest of enemies and I was having a really bad time.

I really enjoy the class I picked, too.  I wasn't expecting that you'd have to choose a class, so while going through the tutorial (that literally took an hour and was immensely boring because it took place in a dank, dark sewer), I was just roleplaying myself and picking the weapons I'd use if I lived in Cyrodiil (a sword and shield, with a bow as my secondary weapon because bows are so OP in Oblivion in my opinion.  Literally all you do is run backwards while shooting at the enemy and they can't touch you).  Then when I was at the end, Baurus (who I accidentally let die later, which was sad because he's by far my favourite character in the game; he's such a sweetie) was like, "Oh, you're a Scout, aren't you?"  And then it showed me the classes and I was really surprised because, yeah, the scout class was exactly what I was going for with my play style.  Light armour, shortswords, bows, and extremely high speed (seriously, my speed is about thirty points ahead of all my other stats :P).  The only things I don't have going for me are that I'm a failure at sneaking, and my lockpicking skills are terrible.

So, yeah, if I'm not on a lot for the next few weeks, it's safe to assume it's because I'm getting really stressed from school and the fact that I'm finally gonna try to write a book this summer, so a lot of my downtime will be spent playing Oblivion because that game is so fun.  Not quite as fun as Skyrim (which I'm holding off on replaying again till the remastered version comes out), but it's definitely fun.  And there's a unicorn in it!  ;D

TL;DR:  My life has been consumed by The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Rainshadow on July 03, 2016, 06:52:28 AM
  My brother bought me Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion with all the DLCs (including the lame horse armour one :P) on Monday because it was on sale on Steam, and other than schoolwork, chores, and the occasional session of Life is Strange with my bro, I've been playing Oblivion non-stop.  Every waking moment I get, I've been playing that game.  It's so unbelievably fun, which is weird, because I really hated most of the game mechanics from the get go (especially the stupid lockpicking mini-game.  The lockpicking is so stupid in Oblivion), simply because it felt so different and old compared to Skyrim.  It's really started to grow on me, though, although I did sadly have to turn the difficulty way down from its default setting (it was in the middle of the sliding bar, which I'd guess to be medium, and I had to move it down a quarter) because with the default setting, it was taking ages to kill the simplest of enemies and I was having a really bad time.

I really enjoy the class I picked, too.  I wasn't expecting that you'd have to choose a class, so while going through the tutorial (that literally took an hour and was immensely boring because it took place in a dank, dark sewer), I was just roleplaying myself and picking the weapons I'd use if I lived in Cyrodiil (a sword and shield, with a bow as my secondary weapon because bows are so OP in Oblivion in my opinion.  Literally all you do is run backwards while shooting at the enemy and they can't touch you).  Then when I was at the end, Baurus (who I accidentally let die later, which was sad because he's by far my favourite character in the game; he's such a sweetie) was like, "Oh, you're a Scout, aren't you?"  And then it showed me the classes and I was really surprised because, yeah, the scout class was exactly what I was going for with my play style.  Light armour, shortswords, bows, and extremely high speed (seriously, my speed is about thirty points ahead of all my other stats :P).  The only things I don't have going for me are that I'm a failure at sneaking, and my lockpicking skills are terrible.

So, yeah, if I'm not on a lot for the next few weeks, it's safe to assume it's because I'm getting really stressed from school and the fact that I'm finally gonna try to write a book this summer, so a lot of my downtime will be spent playing Oblivion because that game is so fun.  Not quite as fun as Skyrim (which I'm holding off on replaying again till the remastered version comes out), but it's definitely fun.  And there's a unicorn in it!  ;D

TL;DR:  My life has been consumed by The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Major Spoiler for Oblivion
 Seriously, don't read if you don't want spoilers.
The Sheogorath you meet in Skyrim is actually the player character from Oblivion.
[close]
[close]

Hickory

@Rainshadow: Funny, I just started my third Fallout 4 play through a few days ago. Playing a secret agent type.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.