News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Star Wars discussion

Started by blindsimeonjtp, October 07, 2012, 03:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

Spoiler
I thought it was fine, but I wish it wasn't there, and the CGI they used for him was awful. And he ignites his lightsaber for no apparent reason. But Maul does have a history of being a crime boss, so it makes a little sense.
[close]
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jukka the Sling

Solo spoiler

I saw a blurry clip of Maul online, and he did look a lot more... haggard.  But was it really CGI?  From what I can gather, he was played by Ray Park, just like in TPM (although he was voiced this time by Sam Witwer, his voice actor from Clone Wars).  Whether or not they replaced his performance with CGI, I don't know.
[close]
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Hickory

Spoiler
I agree with Jet. We know what happens to him in Rebels, and unless he is to show up in another movie, which I highly doubt, it's useless. Besides, there's lots of genuinely interesting criminal factions, like the Black Sun, that they could talk about (granted, the Shadow Collective was an interesting faction, but they were wiped out earlier. Unless they were rebuilt by Maul later... hm, this could work, perhaps).

Otherwise, it was an all around good movie. I didn't like L3-37 (and I will always make a point of typing her name out like that, because of what a stupid name it is). It was quite visually stunning. And I enjoyed most everything about it. Paul Bettany's character was a highlight, I must say.
[close]
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Søren

I thought Solo was a 9/10, 8.5/10 at worst. Personally, I really liked it.

I'm retired from the forum

Jukka the Sling

@Hickory Yeah, you're right that there'll be no real payoff for reintroducing Maul in this movie.  I'm just extremely pleased and excited that the movies are finally acknowledging the shows' existence (Saw Gerrera doesn't really count).  This opens up a whole world of possibilities and gives me hope that Ahsoka could actually make a live-action appearance at some point.

@Søren  What did you think when Maul appeared?  I know I would've been freaking out. ;D
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

I'd give it a 7.5/8. There were too many problems for it to be higher for me.
Spoiler

I hate the Kessel Run scene - one, it's a rip off of Guardians of the Galaxy. Two, that monster does not belong in Star Wars, and nor does the Maw. And three, THE KESSEL RUN LINE WAS ALWAYS MEANT TO BE A LIE! It's in the script of A New Hope that Obi Wan is unimpressed by Han's attempt to big himself up. It was meant to make Han look like a cocky idiot. It was a brilliant piece of his character and now it's ruined forever.

Too much telling about Kira having changed, not enough showing.

L3 was annoying.

Maul's cameo was really poorly done.
[close]

I did love Paul Bettany's character though.

Also let's rank the Star Wars movies.

11. TLJ
10. RotS
9. TFA
8. AotC
7. The Clone Wars movie
6. TPM
5. Solo
4. A New Hope
3. Rogue One
2. Jedi
1. Empire
0. The Clone Wars TV series (like ten billion times better than any other SW media)

Hickory

Spoiler
Jet: If you're referring to the idea of a giant, anomalous gravity well, then yeah, it probably doesn't belong in Star Wars, but the Maw is a well-established Legends location with a fair amount of lore and a significant place in the Star Wars canon (before the decanonization). Of course, how much relevance it will still hold is in question, but I don't think Disney will completely ignore how much happened there in Legends, and since they do like taking Legends material and putting it in canon, who knows what will make it in.

As far as my take on the Kessel Run line goes, I think it would be something like this: Han Solo says that he made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. Han did it in twelve parsecs, not anything less, so perhaps Obi-Wan sees it as more of an exaggeration than fabrication.
[close]

Jetthebinturong

People need to stop retconning the parsec line. It was a lie - Han thought a parsec was a unit of time. Han was trying to hype himself up. That's the canon. The real canon. No amount of retroactive explaining will change what was actually a good character-showing line.

Hickory

I appreciate the value of the line building character, but I think that it can still show who Han is without meaning that he was lying. Han Solo was a great pilot, sure, and he'd probably use hyperbole whenever he could, inflating the truth instead of fabricating it completely.

And yes, I've read the script, and "obvious misinformation" doesn't have to mean that he's lying outright. If he is, than that takes away his crowning achievement (and perhaps his only real achievement at all): after all, as far as the new canon goes, the Kessel Run is really the only actually good piece of piloting he'd done before A New Hope (drifting on Corellia and managing to keep a transport aloft aren't that impressive, all things considered), and if you take it away, then he's just another smuggler. Sure, you can argue that not being a good pilot doesn't make Han any less of a good character, but leaving that detail in there isn't detrimental either.

Of course, the interpretation of the line is totally up to you, and I don't intend to force my interpretation onto you (although I'm sure Disney means otherwise).

Jukka the Sling

Okay, this is somewhat random, but I just saw this on Twitter and remembered the Lando discussion that happened here a few days back.  It's a quote from Lando that appeared in his canon comic, and it seems pretty straightforward.

Spoiler

It would seem he's into women.
[close]

Jetthebinturong

Spoiler

I'm not any happier about it than you. In fact I'm pretty livid that Disney thinks that continually doing this (LeFou anyone?) is actually going to work. They're not interested in representation, they're too scared of being banned in China or Russia or Indonesia, or various other places. This isn't a good-natured attempt to introduce diversity to their movies, it's a calculated business move intended to pander to queer audiences with absolutely no intention of following through.

I just meant that your objection to it was not solely based on being a canon purist, as you have said many times that you don't really care about the original trilogy.
[close]

Jukka the Sling

Spoiler

Well, I may prefer the shows to the main movies these days (because the world within the movies feels so much smaller, and I've seen them so many times already), but I still care about the story.  Canon discrepancies always bother me, especially when they're extremely blatant (like the Holdo maneuver... which I've decided to explain away with the handwavy idea that the Raddus happened to have some experimental Mon Calamari tech that enabled so much damage to occur XD).  You're right that that isn't the only reason.  But honestly, Kasdan's statements are so ridiculous in light of the actual canon, and it annoyed me terribly that he said this when there was evidence to the contrary.  Guess it's a textbook example of queerbaiting.
[close]

The Skarzs

Jet vs Jukka

Flame Wars: Return of the Salt
[close]
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Wat.

...I didn't even think we were being crazy. xD

The Skarzs

You weren't. I just really wanted to do it anyway.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.