News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Doctor Who Thread (Rebooted Series or Doctors 9+)

Started by AxeHound, October 15, 2012, 04:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudie

sorry guys, you havent succeeded in converting me or even making me interested in doctor who.  :P ;D
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Firehawke

Quote from: Rainshadow on April 22, 2013, 08:13:58 PM
  I can't wait for Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS!!!  I've been wondering what all the different rooms of the TARDIS look like.  The only time you really get to see it (from my little knowledge ;)) is when

That episode with Idris that I can't remember the name of
Rory and Amy are being chased through it.
[close]

That's "The Doctor's Wife" from Series 6.  Very creepy episode!
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: Mask on April 23, 2013, 01:09:51 AM
sorry guys, you havent succeeded in converting me or even making me interested in doctor who.  :P ;D

The show is part sci-fi, part horror, part drama, part comedy, ...   :)

It's really a kids' show (roughly 8-14 years old), but many adults watch it too because it's been going for so many years. This year is the 50th anniversary, although it had a break from TV for many years, which makes it the longest running sci-fi show in the world.

The main character, The Doctor, is an alien from the race of Time Lords. He can regenerate when killed (which allows for a a new actor to take over the role). He travels through time and space in his time machine called the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space) which on the outside looks like a 1960's police phone box, but is bigger on the inside - infinitely big, although we've only once or twice seen more than the control room. He usually has a companion, msotly a young human female, or two with him on his travels. He visits the past, the present, the future, as well as alien worlds, although in some of the older seasons he was stuck on Earth. He battles against various baddies.

Unfortunately, due to laziness and penny-pinching at the BBC in the 1960s, many of the early episodes have been lost, although some have been recoevered from copies found in other countries.  :(

Firehawke

From hints given on official site about the end of the current series/season...should be really, really good!!!

Buzz_Bumble

I haven't seen it or saw it so long ago I've forgotten it, but apparently in an old episode they already...
Spoiler
revealed The Doctors' name.
[close]
... which would make Steven Moffat's final episode this season a bit pointless and misleading.

Rainshadow

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on April 30, 2013, 10:34:45 PM
I haven't seen it or saw it so long ago I've forgotten it, but apparently in an old episode they already...
Spoiler
revealed The Doctors' name.
[close]
... which would make Steven Moffat's final episode this season a bit pointless and misleading.

Wait, what?  Which episode?
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Buzz_Bumble

The 9th Doctor is a prat. Christopher Ecclestone is the worst actor to ever play the role (in fact having seen in in a couple of other things, he's probably the worst actor fullstop), but he wasn't helped by idiotic stories about farting aliens and man-eating wheelie bins.  :(

Thankfully things got back to normal when he left and David Tennant (10th) took over the role.

Other hopeless actors in teh role include Syvlester McCoy (7th, too much like a poor Poirot) and Paul McGann (8th, where they tried to Americanise it for a movie).

The best actors to have played the role are usually considered to be (in no particular order) Tom Baker, Jon Pertwee, David Tennant, and Matt Smith.

QuoteWait, what?  Which episode?

Supposedly Armageddon Factor.

Firehawke

There's talk that "Theta Sigma" was just a nickname. 

Check out the continuity section on this wikipedia page for the storyline...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Armageddon_Factor

Planning on watching some classic Doctor Who episodes this Saturday, including "Survival," which is the very first episode I remember seeing...which is funny since it's the last of classic stuff!

Firehawke

Is anybody else looking forward to the Series 7 finale tomorrow night???

Rainshadow

Quote from: Firehawke on May 17, 2013, 06:44:11 PM
Is anybody else looking forward to the Series 7 finale tomorrow night???

I'm looking forward to it, but at the same time, I'm dreading it.  Not that I don't wanna know the name of the Doctor, it's just that after that episode, I'll have to wait until what, November?  GAH!  I'll have to watch reruns all summer!  D:
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Buzz_Bumble

Apparently Americans who ordered the DVD box set accidently received them too early and the Doctor Who makers have been asking them not to post spoilers on the internet.

There's also interviews on the Internet where one of the writers states that Clara was meant to stay as a Victorian governess, but Steven Moffat changed his mind and made the character into one with a more complexstory. (link)

Here in New Zealand we're a couple of episodes behind - the episode we saw on Thursday was the Mr Sweet one back in Victorian England.

Firehawke

We have to wait until November so that the 50th anniversary special can air on the actual 50th anniversary, which I think is pretty cool.  Mean, but cool!

I can't wait for the 50th anniversary special...

last ep
I personally thing John Hurst's Doctor is the Doctor as he was during the Time War.  Anybody else think that?  And does anybody else think that Clara could be the woman from End of Time???  I love how they worked in all of the classic Doctors!!!
[close]

PrimroseWarrior

GAH!! STEVEN MOFFAT WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?!!??! DOCTOR WHO IS RUINED!!!!!
Fire steven moffat!!!
"Every fairytale needs a good old-fashioned villain. You need me, or you're nothing."
    ~Moriarty

"People have died."
"Thats what people DO!"

"Did u miss me?"
      ~Moriarty & Sherlock

Rainshadow

Quote from: PrimroseWarrior on May 22, 2013, 02:51:01 PM
GAH!! STEVEN MOFFAT WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?!!??! DOCTOR WHO IS RUINED!!!!!
Fire steven moffat!!!

Well, if they fired Moffat, then the show wouldn't be the same.  ::)  I know, though.  I watched the finale right before heading about 45 minutes (in the car) to go see Star Trek in theatres, and I was just steaming for most of the trip.  :P  I was seriously thinking of punching the car a few times.  Or biting something.  But I don't think that would've ended well.  ;)

Firehawke