News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Castaways of the Flying Dutchman Discussion

Started by Matthias720, July 07, 2011, 04:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Castaway5

I think she would have understood.  Ben wouldn't have stayed, he's not selfish.

Nightfire

Well, Ben was actually about to tell her the entire truth about himself, but trouble interrupted. Talk about bad timing!
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

eualaia

my personel favorite (SPOILER) was when that evil old lady got killed by seeing ben's memories
wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

redwallgurl

yeah but could you imagine having that happen to you ^
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: eualaia on February 14, 2012, 12:26:59 AM
my personel favorite (SPOILER) was when that evil old lady got killed by seeing ben's memories
Maguda wasn't killed by seeing his memories, she was killed by seeing the angel. That was my favourite part.
Aside from that, I just read The Angels' Command and it was EPIC!!
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

mattimouse20

so, that "castaways of the flying dutch man'' book. It always reminds me of "pirates of the carribean"for some reason. probably the pirates.
just wait until I make my daring escape!

Bragoon

I just started reading Castaways.  At first, I tried reading it like it was a book from another author, since it's quite a different story from Redwall, but I soon realized that Mr. Jacques style of writing and colloquialisms are inescapable.  Now I've settled into a more familiar habit of actually looking for those sorts of things in the book.  It's almost comforting to see little things like that a book that I'm still unsure about.

Also, I know Luis (the shepherd) is a Spaniard, but I can't help but imagine him as looking and sounding exactly like Lloyd Alexander.  I honestly have no idea why.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

redwallgurl

Quote from: Bragoon on February 17, 2012, 09:41:00 PM
I just started reading Castaways.  At first, I tried reading it like it was a book from another author, since it's quite a different story from Redwall, but I soon realized that Mr. Jacques style of writing and colloquialisms are inescapable.  Now I've settled into a more familiar habit of actually looking for those sorts of things in the book.  It's almost comforting to see little things like that a book that I'm still unsure about.

thats what i noticed to but i liked the book. i think what i like about Brian Jacques books is the style of witting

GeminyaTome

I didn't take the time to read through the whole topic, so this may have already been asked. What kind of dog is it? I haven't gotten to where the dog comes into play, but on the cover of my book there is a black dog that looks like a black lab. I kinda' hope it is. I had a black lab for ten, almost eleven, years!
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

redwallgurl

well how its described ii agree with you i think it is a black lab or at least thats how i imagined it. also i dont have the book for refrence so idk but i think it does say it is a black lab

Bragoon

Ned is a black Labrador Retriever.  It says so in several places throughout the series.  =)

I finished Voyage of Slaves last night, although I wish I hadn't.  Honestly truly, I think I like Castaways better than Redwall.  I never thought I'd say that about any series, but Castaways speaks to me on a more personal level than even Redwall does.  I loved the whole, sadly short, arc, and there's so much room for imagining how other adventures could have gone on. 

I think the ending of Voyage of Slaves was excellent.  One thing that I always felt a little irritated about was that Ben always just up and left (not that he had any choice, but still) and it tended to give me a hopeless feeling about the series, but his vision of Serafina was a magnificent way to point out that just like he had been provided for throughout the previous hundred years, he would still be provided for richly in the future. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Castaway5

I agree completely Bragoon.

And while Ben doesn't age, I get the feeling that he wouldn't be forced to wander the earth forever, just until the world is a place where his gifts aren't needed. In that case, Ben and Ned would would indeed be rewarded for their efforts, even if it took thousands of years.

DanielofRedwall

I must have taken the ending of Voyage of Slaves differently to everyone else. When I read it, I thought the angel meant someday Ben and Ned will be allowed to live an ordinary life in some place of their choice. They would start at the age they're at, and then they'd live a normal life until death. Although it probably isn't what Brian Jacques had in mind, I think it is a nice thought (might make a nice fanfiction story...). That's what I liked about the ending, it could be taken in many different ways.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Bragoon

I agree, and I think that's part of what makes it such a good ending, is that it can be taken in several different ways.  It's up to the person in question to decide how they would like it to end.

Nightfire

Quote from: mattimouse20 on February 17, 2012, 07:24:38 PM
so, that "castaways of the flying dutch man'' book. It always reminds me of "pirates of the carribean"for some reason. probably the pirates.

It could be because of the Flying Dutchman itself. In Pirates of the Carribean 2, Dead Man's Chest, then you see Davy Jones, captain of the Flying Dutchman, ghost ship that ferries the souls of the dead to the underworld. ;)
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.