A Steampunk Redwall RP!

Started by BrookSkimmer, January 08, 2013, 08:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of this idea?

Wow, I'm joining!
Needs some work but I'd join
Not interested

Norham Waterpaw

Sweet! I am so joining. I am actually writing a new story, called Zephyr Town. It's the same idea, minus the flying ships. Still cool though!
Hey you! What? Expecting a great quote or some heart-warming poem? Too bad, my signature is just boring. Stop reading it. Stop it. Why are you still reading it?

Captain Tammo

How many are needed to start?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

W0NWILL

Well, hopefully this will be enough. Brook did say about six people.

BrookSkimmer

Ok, it seems we do have enough interest in this to do the RP! I will ask that we wait until after the tournament as I'm not planning on starting any more large RPs until I finish with the tournament. We can do some plot planning here until then. What would you guys like to see in this RP?

Captain Tammo

Here's some ideas/ questions I'm throwing around:

We should have the city named "Cog City" and it should be the largest merchant city in the world, similar to Singapore or New York!!

Do you have a specific design of both of the ships?? If not, I think we should go with a classic model of one.

What kind of characters are you looking for? Is the other ship an absolute "bad guy" vessel or is it just a disagreement between the two?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Rusvul

LOL as I see this thread, I am listening to Abney Park's song "Airship Pirates", which is 100% steampunk, so, yah, I'm in. :D steampunk is AWESOME!

I have a few ideas about a character, Nimble Morgan Quincy, (stolen name from my pirate101 character :P) a fox as always, and we could name one of the ships the Indomitable Endeavor (The best ship name EVER! at least in my  opinion.), and one crew could be pirates.

"We've got a steampunk, a-revolution, we're tired of all your so-called evolution. We've dialed it back to 1886, don't ask us why, it's how we get our kicks. Out with the new, in with the old, out with the new in with the old!"

EDIT: I thought a lot about this, let me share my thoughts.
Guns should not be powered by gunpowder, rather, by a tank of pressurized steam. Cannons, we'd have to decide on. Some guns should be a sort of almost automatic, where you turn a crank, it feeds bullets from a hopper into the barrel, and you release a valve to release the steam into the barrel.

Also, I was thinking Abney Parks style ships, there is a picture of one at the top of this page http://airshippirates.abneypark.com/index.html I like how they have the main blimp airbag, as well as a few sails on top of it, and props at the back.

W0NWILL

I`m good with most of that, except for the guns part. Realistically, for a gun to have a barrel of pressurized steam, it would have to have a flame and coals, the guns would probably be so hard to handle and use, that they wouldn't invent them at all. Though cannons would be good, as long as they are built into a ship,, and easy enough to use. The canons could tap into the stream used to power the airship, making them easy enough to use, but not so easy to overuse, as the ship has to be powered in a battle.

Rusvul

Hmm, I suppose yer right about the guns... How important are firearms to everyone else? I think they'd add to it a lot. Does anyone have ideas of how to make alternative firearms?

SPSF kodachorm otter7486

im in long as i can have NKP 765 in the pics

Rusvul

What is an NKP 765? Today, I made a steampunk revolving-rifle gunblade out of a sort of brass-colored very thick foil, leather, an old stilleto blade I had lying around, and duct tape. I concealed as much duct tape as I could. :P

KitrallStreamrippler

:o You just happened to have a stiletto blade lying around?? ...Well. *ahem* Anyway, that sounds really cool. Can you post pictures? I'd like to see it. :)
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

BrookSkimmer

I'm still paying attention to this thread. I'd like to start it after the tournament is over. It might be a few weeks but then I'll have more time to give to it! :D

Rusvul

Awesome! And, er, yes, I have weapons all over the place. Shield by my dresser, mace by the shield, fencing foil in my closet, shortsword on my desk, rapier on the counter downstairs... Things like random broken bits of knives come in handy! :P

KitrallStreamrippler

Wow. I wish I had stuff like that! I actually really want to learn fencing. Real fencing, though, not on a mat with a foil. I want to learn it how it's done in Princess Bride and 3 Musketeers. ;D (It's kind of embarrassing, actually.)
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Rusvul

Hehehe, the fencing in Princess Bride is pretty awesome. "I must admit that you are better than me. But I know something that you don't. I am not left handed!" Anyway, back on topic :P. What should we call the ships? I think we should have a pirate ship and a trading merchant ship. I think that 'Endeavor' or 'Indomitable Endeavor' is a very good name for a pirate ship. The pirates shouldn't be good or evil, just there, and the same thing with the merchant crew.
"With a crew of drunken pilots,
We're the only airship pirates!
We're full of hot air and we're starting to rise,
We're the terror of the skies but a danger to ourselves!"
Other possible names (Most of these are ship names that I sometimes use):
HMS. Jade (Trader)
Stealthwind (Pirate)
Neostar (Either)
HMS Victoria (Kinda cheesy, as this is set in Neovictorian times, so,  probably ignore this one)
Amelia (Either)
Drakeram (Pirate)
Flamesail (Either)
Stormbrave (Either)
Thundersail (Either)

May I give a description of what I think the ships should be like? A hull like a nautical vessel, but instead of sails, a large zeppelin-like airbag with a metal frame to hold it up when not inflated. Large boiler in the middle, props off to the sides. Steam-power to make the props spin, the heat from the boiler filling the airbag allowing the ship to fly. Crow's nest either beneath the ship, or on top of the airbag. Mast sticking up through the airbag. Airbag tethered to the hull in many different places by the metal frame, not the fabric. Towards the back, two long planks stuck out, with props on the end.