News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Are log boats or sail ships better

Started by rachel25, February 12, 2013, 08:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutra

The best has to be the vessel from Rogue Crew that has wheels on it. :D  That thing goes anywhere!

Hard to compare a shrew longboat with a ship--longboats aren't made for the sea, and ships aren't made for tiny rivers.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

CrazyPug37

Quote from: Lutra on May 20, 2013, 02:28:35 AM
The best has to be the vessel from Rogue Crew that has wheels on it. :D  That thing goes anywhere!
Definitely!
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: Lutra on May 20, 2013, 02:28:35 AM
Hard to compare a shrew longboat with a ship--longboats aren't made for the sea, and ships aren't made for tiny rivers.

There has been at least one sea ship that was taken up the River Moss. I also vaguely seem to recall some shrew log boats going out onto the ocean, but I may be misremembering that - it's been a long time since I've read the older books.

Leatho Shellhound

The river moss was large enough for ships. Remember the ship in the book Mossflower?
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Shadowed One

Yes, but it wasn't large enough for anything other than flat-bottomed ships.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: cregga rose eyes on February 12, 2013, 08:41:01 PM
I think it depends where you are. A log boat would do better on River Moss than a Ship, but the other way around a ship would do much better at sea than a log boat.
So I would say I am neutral on the two.
Ditto.

Life is too short to rush through it.

rachel25

I think more than one sea going vassal has gone up the River Moss but I may be mistaken  ;D

Tam and Martin

The ship that Martin was in (in the book Mossflower) was a sea ship. Also Greypatch's ship was able to go up the River Moss but he had some trouble doing it.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

CrazyPug37

Quote from: Tam and Martin on May 23, 2013, 11:47:29 PM
The ship that Martin was in (in the book Mossflower) was a sea ship. Also Greypatch's ship was able to go up the River Moss but he had some trouble doing it.
Yes, I vaguely remember that.
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Buzz_Bumble

My own preference for boats would be big ones ... mainly because I find having to wear a life-jacket / bouancy-jacket on small boats make me seasick quickly (I don't like things tight around my neck and refuse to wear ties or high-neck jumpers / shirts).

rachel25

log boats are good too  8) but I like sail ships  :-*

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Log boatz vould be great on a river, an' zail shipz vould be great on ze ocean...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Rusvul

I vote airships. No limitations about water.

Buzz_Bumble

Yep, no "limitations" ... except that they can't travel in storms, they can be difficult to steer accurately, and the old ones had a tendency to explode (the Hindenberg being the most famous example).  ;)