Are log boats or sail ships better

Started by rachel25, February 12, 2013, 08:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rachel25

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 11, 2013, 08:54:21 AM
Yep, no "limitations" ... except that they can't travel in storms, they can be difficult to steer accurately, and the old ones had a tendency to explode (the Hindenberg being the most famous example).  ;)
I watched a show on why the Hindenberg exploded  :)

Kitsune

Wasn't it a material they made the balloon with?

rachel25

I can't remember but they said they think it was not an accident  :o

Kitsune

Really? Like someone blew it up on purpose?

Buzz_Bumble

There's all sorts of rumours and conspiracy theories ... the most believable reason is that it simply hit the mooring mast which caused a spark, which ignited the gas inside the balloon (which stupidly was highly flammable).

Rusvul

What do you mean, difficult to steer? If you have an experienced helmsbeast like Leneat, it's not a problem. And, as for your storm question, you're pretty much not in trouble unless part of the ship breaks,  assuming you have a very thick airback. There is even a story of an airship called the Ophelia, she survived getting struck by lightning. Airbags burst, yes, fell a long way onto the ocean, yes, but not a single casualty to her crew, and after being fixed up, she was ready to fly again.

And as for the Hindenburg, yeah, I don't know that this is why it burned so quickly, but they painted the Hindenburg's airbag with the materials used to make thermite, which is used as a rocket fuel. However, the components were not in the right mixture for it to be thermite, so it's unlikely that was the entire reason, though it could have been a contributing factor.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

May'apz tvaz martianz; but anyvay, back tae ze topic o' Log Boatz an' Zail Zhipz...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

RoseKB58

A seafaring ship or boat would have a difficult time indeed going up river, unless the River Moss was swollen from heavy rain and it was high tide and a fairly windy day. To successfully do this, the owner of the ship would need an able bodied crew. A logboat on the other hand can easily be manned by one to several creatures, depending on it's length.

A logboat, like a canoe would fare better on the river than out at sea, however there have been stories of Native American tribes who lived on the western coast and used their canoes in the sea all the time. However, their canoes were made for the sea. I think a shrew's logboat would fare fine in the ocean, so long as it was a calm day and the pilot kept the shore in sight.

The two vessels have their pros and cons. To ask which one is better would be like asking if a ruler is better than a measuring tape, or if an apple tree is better than a cherry tree. I like both of them, and like others before me, I must remain neutral.

However, if I had to choose, I would probably feel safer on a larger vessel (provided it wasn't filled with villains, then I'd choose the smaller one).

Mariel

I live in a desert and like it here, the only time I ever was on a ship I enjoyed it; but not enough to favor one ship type over another.

rachel25

I live in a country town and love it here and there's a cannel in driving distance and my brother has a kayak and a raft so we sometimes go to the cannel and I've never fallen in......yet  :-X 

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: Mariel on June 23, 2013, 03:16:54 AM
I live in a desert and like it here ...

With Global Climate Change you might find yourself living on a beach coast in a few years time.  ;)

rachel25

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 30, 2013, 03:19:17 AM
Quote from: Mariel on June 23, 2013, 03:16:54 AM
I live in a desert and like it here ...

With Global Climate Change you might find yourself living on a beach coast in a few years time.  ;)
*sighs*

Buzz_Bumble

You can sigh all you want, but unfortunately the reality is that Global Climate Change is a provable, undeniable, and unavoidable fact ... BUT whether it's caused by humans or is a natural cycle (or more likely a mixture) is a different and unprovable question though.