News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Martin the Warrior-Most well-written Redwall book?

Started by Ungatt Trunn, February 26, 2013, 01:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think that Martin the Warrior is one of the most well-written Redwall book?

Yes! Definautly!
7 (22.6%)
No, I don't.
6 (19.4%)
Not shure....
18 (58.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Ungatt Trunn

I read somewere that Martin the Warrior is considered the most well-written Redwall book in the series. Personally, I find this true. Even for thoughts who don't like the book that much, its writting and plot type differs significantly from all other Redwall books. What do you guys think?

Life is too short to rush through it.

Dannflower Reguba

I hate that book, it's plot type, and every thing to do with it! (except Redwall of course!)
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: danflorreguba on February 26, 2013, 01:46:19 AM
I hate that book, it's plot type, and every thing to do with it! (except Redwall of course!)

You just don't like that LateRose died, Look beyond that bro for the rest of the book. And didn't you like Rose in most of the book, alive? I mean even Cregga badgermum died in a book...do I hate that book now? NO, it was a very good book even though she died.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

W0NWILL

Ungatt, you misspelled 'definitely' and 'sure', in case you wanted to know.

Anyway, the topic, I liked Martin the Warrior, but it isn't my favourite Redwall. It has interesting plot, yes, but there's better ones out there.

Romsca

I think it's pretty good...but Mossflower is the most well written IMO

321tumbler

It's very good and I consider it pretty high on the list, but it's not the best.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on February 26, 2013, 01:56:14 AM

You just don't like that LateRose died, Look beyond that bro for the rest of the book. And didn't you like Rose in most of the book, alive? I mean even Cregga badgermum died in a book...do I hate that book now? NO, it was a very good book even though she died.

Completely wrong, you're just stereotyping because of my continuous fight against synics. I hated the story for what it was, Rose's "death" as everyone calls it, just makes it worse. Every beast in the story was just plain out too cooperative and companionable. Martin was practically useless until he suddenly had enough smarts to fell a tree that an entire village couldn't figure out between them? Oh please. Seriously, that book was probably his worst, with the Sable Queen, and The Rogue Crew not far off. Besides, if you've ever cared to notice, I don't believe in Rose's "death," so it makes no difference to me.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Leatho Shellhound

Fine, think what you want about it, but I am with Ungatt Trunn on this one.

click the banner

rachel25

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on February 26, 2013, 03:56:55 PM
Fine, think what you want about it, but I am with Ungatt Trunn on this one.
I don't think it's the worst but not the best but I too belaeive that this is not a bad written book  ;) infact it is one of the reasons that I started to read the Redwall's  :-* one other thing how can anyone hate a book with such brave warriors espeshelly a warrior like Felldon in fact He is my second faveriote charactar EVER  ;D    FUR AND FREDOM FIGHTERS       FREDOOOMMM !!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D 

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: danflorreguba on February 26, 2013, 02:27:41 PM
Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on February 26, 2013, 01:56:14 AM

Completely wrong, you're just stereotyping because of my continuous fight against synics. I hated the story for what it was, Rose's "death" as everyone calls it, just makes it worse. Every beast in the story was just plain out too cooperative and companionable. Martin was practically useless until he suddenly had enough smarts to fell a tree that an entire village couldn't figure out between them? Oh please. Seriously, that book was probably his worst, with the Sable Queen, and The Rogue Crew not far off. Besides, if you've ever cared to notice, I don't believe in Rose's "death," so it makes no difference to me.
So what would you have them do, fight with each other all the time? Its only with corporation that they were able to bring down Marshank. I'm just trying to say that's what you say about them being cooperative and companionable is just silly, danforreguba. Oh, and to every one else (besides Letho Shellhound, who has been with me from the beginning), I'm not trying to say that Martin the Warrior is the best book; I'm saying that I think that it's the most well-written Redwall book.

Tam and Martin

Maybe. I think the storyline was a little boring and I like some books better but it is a good book.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Dannflower Reguba

Ungatt, did you even read the post? I didn't get specific but it doesn't take much thinking to notice. The pygmy shrews, the squirrels on the mountain, every beast was just too easy to deal with. Shrews are incredibly stubborn, I just plain out don't see them 1.) letting Martin go, and 2.) helping with Marshank. I find much of the story to be unbelievable. The bees vs. Martin, Rose, and Grumm. Whatever that monster thing was that the rabbits made. I can't believe that the stinkin vole lasted as long as he did (side note).

All in all, I was not happy with the book. The loss of Felldoh, and the hedgehog slave made it all the worse.

Leatho Shellhound

click the banner

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: danflorreguba on February 27, 2013, 02:16:33 PM
Ungatt, did you even read the post? I didn't get specific but it doesn't take much thinking to notice. The pygmy shrews, the squirrels on the mountain, every beast was just too easy to deal with. Shrews are incredibly stubborn, I just plain out don't see them 1.) letting Martin go, and 2.) helping with Marshank. I find much of the story to be unbelievable. The bees vs. Martin, Rose, and Grumm. Whatever that monster thing was that the rabbits made. I can't believe that the stinkin vole lasted as long as he did (side note).

All in all, I was not happy with the book. The loss of Felldoh, and the hedgehog slave made it all the worse.
It can be pointed out that the shrews that appear in Martin the Warrior are Not the Gousim shrews, who appear quite a few times later one; they were pigmy shrews. Since they were different tribes, there were bound to be some differences in cooroporation. Also, all shrews that appear throuout the Redwall series arn't really that stubborn. And with the time of death with "the stinking vole", not every character can die at the beginning. And the hedghog slave, why, he sacrificed up his life to help others! I don't see how you can't not like him the least bit, or any other character in Martin the Warrior! Oh, and I did read your post, just to say.

KitrallStreamrippler

Martin the Warrior isn't my absolute favorite book, but it's a good one, definitely. As to the death of Rose, it makes me cry every time, but I accept it. I actually like that Mr.Jacques kills off good characters too, because he does it in a way that actually means something. I hate reading those adventure series where the main protagonist(s) get into one 'certain death' situation after another and escape without a scratch. However, I don't like the other extreme either, when characters are killed for no reason. I think Mr. Jacques has acheived a good happy medium.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!