Autism Awareness: How do you feel about it?

Started by Redwallfan7, April 04, 2013, 10:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This question is about the day that focuses on those affected with autism and related disorders

It's great. It raises awareness and reminds those with autism to be stronger
24 (80%)
I hate it, it's stupid
2 (6.7%)
It's ok
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Ungatt Trunn

I saw a video once were somewon said that Autism dosn't make you weird, it makes you special. The same person also said that it gives you a special imagenation unlike most people. Now, I'm not saying that having Autism is a good thing; I'm just saying that isn't something to be ashaimed of.
Nobody in my family, including myself, have Autism, though we do know somebody at my Church who has it.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Maudie

Quote from: Tam and Martin on May 13, 2013, 10:33:34 PM
We know a few people that have autism.

Ditto.

EDIT: well, I have known 2 people who have very childlike autism (almost wrote awesome there :D) They both functioned at about a 2-3 year old level. I have known two people who have very mild autism, one just a few years behind in his function level and another an adult who was more like someone in their early teens. they are all very nice.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Film Reel

When you're rife with devastation, there's a simple explanation.
You're a toymaker's creation, trapped inside a crystal ball.

And whichever way he tilts it, know that we must be resilient.
We won't let them break our spirits, as we sing our silly song.

PrimroseWarrior

Quote from: phoenixfoden on May 13, 2013, 02:29:35 AM
i have aspergers and i have several obsessive intrests that i can talk all day about  :o
dude, you sound like me.

My older brother(NOT axe) has autism. hes a fanTAStic artist!
"Every fairytale needs a good old-fashioned villain. You need me, or you're nothing."
    ~Moriarty

"People have died."
"Thats what people DO!"

"Did u miss me?"
      ~Moriarty & Sherlock

AnnaofRedwall

I can go  on... and on... and on.. about my favorite things (chickens, REDWALL, lotr,) causes i have aspies! ASPIES PEEPs ROCK! :) :D :D :D :D
I hate it when a package says 'easy open' and you need a scissors, a knife, a crowbar, a gun, and a light-saber to open it.

phoenixfoden

we should make a topic just for aspies to talk about things they like!  :)

Lutra

Quote from: phoenixfoden on May 17, 2013, 02:48:55 AM
we should make a topic just for aspies to talk about things they like!  :)

Why not just make topics anyone can reply to? ;)  That is far more productive in the accepting of autism or any differences in needs.  A lot of the students I work with (students on the spectrum are just some of them) don't want to be seen as different, and don't like being called "autistic" or anything else for that matter.  Setting up things just for them doesn't necessarily make it any better if the goal is not to treat them any differently than any other human being out there.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

phoenixfoden

can i make a thread for intrests in general then.

Lutra

Well of course. :)  How would that be different than any thread on this forum?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

phoenixfoden

Duxwing

Why do we need autism awareness, exactly?  Aren't we all already aware of it?

-Duxwing

Skyblade

A pain and a bane, but...it is what it is.

I know someone who I believe has autism (even though my parents say otherwise). It's worse than it seems, including if you're the one dealing with it from the outside.

Awareness seems like a good idea. Spread knowledge. Of course, there are so many other problems in the world we need to worry about as well.

This post comes off as depressing and hopeless but it's my honest take on things. I want to say "Keep calm and battle one", but it sounds cheesy.

Whatever, I guess. Keep calm and battle on, no matter what you face :) The world will continue to be harsh, but there's little we can do besides do all the good we can. We can make a difference, but the most we can do is do our best.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Lady Ashenwyte

I have mentioned earlier that my brother has autism, and that has affected our family in ways both positive and negative. Yes, autism is something people should know about. (And to some extent they do.)
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Skyblade

I'm sure it has, Ash.

There's the good and the bad in every situation.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!