5 (27.8%)
Martin's spirit
3 (16.7%)
Both
10 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: December 05, 2012, 01:28:57 PM

Skyblade

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they just added that. I don't have the book with me right now so I can't check  :P

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

W0NWILL

Yes, I don't like it.

Bragoon

Nope, it was in the book.  It had those words inscribed on the blade, just like in the T.V. series.  Mr. Jacques left it out of the other books though, because after it became a series, it no longer made sense. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Felldoh154

It was in the book? I seem to recall it being described as a "plain warriors sword" do you recall where in the book it says the words are written on the sword?

W0NWILL

Bragoon, your information is false!

Felldoh154

Soon as I find my old redwall book im looking this up :p

Flandor

Quote from: White One6193 on July 04, 2012, 05:01:31 AM
Quote from: MatthiasMan on June 23, 2012, 04:26:54 PM
Hmf. About how long does it take to make a sword though?

Hohohoho! Now that's a good question, me lad! Okay, I am literally an apprentice blacksmith, plus I've read every book on sword-making I could get my hands on, so I know what I'm talking about here...

Now, in the books, Brian says that the sword was forged from the metal of a fallen star, aka meteoritic iron.
First thing, meteoritic iron, ESPECIALLY if you found enough to forge a broadsword (what I'd give to have a meteorite fall in my yard right now.. ::)) would be very hard to forge. Meteoric metal is usually a natural alloy of metals like striated iron (which is iron wherein the There'll of atoms have allowed the metal to form crystal patterns), manganese, tungsten, alumuminum , and chromium, or any combination thereof. Metals like manganese and tungsten increase the melting point of iron, making in more resistant to heat, and better at absorbing carbon, making it really hard and easy to hold an edge. An aluminum alloy decreases density, making the steel lighter, and more flexible, and less likely to fracture. Finally, for the crowning touch, you have chromium, which when added to iron makes it resistant to corrosion (explaining why the ancient blade still looks so good after such a long time)

Now onto forging. Let us assume, for the sake of argument, that on that night so many seasons ago the "perfect" meteorite fell. This meteorite, in order to become Martin's magnificent blade, will need about equal portions of each element listed to be forged properly. Boar, having found this magnificent piece of metal, now has to melt of the slag off. Slag is the waste product that comes off the first forging. Now that that's done, Boar has to decide how to forge. This process takes about a day and a half.

Then, there's the process of turning this lump of iron into a sword. First the smith has to divide his steel into edge, haft, and tang pieces.

Brian said that Boar "folded the steel". This indicates that Boar was using a forge style called "pattern- welding". Pattern-welding is ExTREMELY difficult, requiring precise, rapid strokes of the hammer in order to weld the separate pieces together. Pattern welding can  and should only be done by a master smith. A a pattern blade is a near-perfect blade. It is resistant to fracture, holds an edge permanently, and if chromium is involved, will not rust. it can even cut through lesser blades!

This process, even with modern tools, can take weeks or months. With a sea-coal forge like that described in the books, it could easily take up to three months, or in other words: a season!

Just wanted to comment that your post was very informative and interesting.  I often hang out by the blacksmiths at civil war reenactments (I'm part of the engineer corps for the events though).  They never work with swords though obviously so your information was really interesting.  Thanks for taking the time to write that out.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: W0NWILL on July 05, 2012, 04:02:26 AM
Bragoon, your information is false!

Mind giving Proof for that statement?
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Felldoh154

So was mr. J trying to make the sword kinda magic or not, I can never tell. Sometimes his characters say its just a normal sword than the sword itself later will make the main character a great warrior all of a sudden.

Dannflower Reguba

It's more the spirit of Martin the warrior that gives them a boost. Make sense?
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Felldoh154

Ya that definetly makes sense. After all his spirit is active in the dreams of practically all the swords weilders so why not active In them themselves; giving them a boost? Thanks :)

Redwallfan7

Quote from: danflorreguba on July 05, 2012, 06:52:09 PM
yep
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

phoenixfoden

i think the vermin should have a sword of the same metal to make things interesing

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

It's like in Star Wars when Luke Skywalker'z zpirit had been pulled from hiz body an' only little Jacen and Jaina Solo could zee hiz zpirit an' hear him, an' Exar Kun waz uzin' theze creaturez tae attack hiz body, and Luke'z zpirit joined with Jacen momentarily tae fight off the creatures while weilding Luke'z lightzabre. In thiz way for tha' brief amount o' time Jacen waz able tae wield the blade az well az the jedi mazter himzelf.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

White One6193

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on September 20, 2012, 09:17:49 PM

It's like in Star Wars when Luke Skywalker'z zpirit had been pulled from hiz body an' only little Jacen and Jaina Solo could zee hiz zpirit an' hear him, an' Exar Kun waz uzin' theze creaturez tae attack hiz body, and Luke'z zpirit joined with Jacen momentarily tae fight off the creatures while weilding Luke'z lightzabre. In thiz way for tha' brief amount o' time Jacen waz able tae wield the blade az well az the jedi mazter himzelf.

Sad thing is, I understand that reference.
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!