News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

The Rogue Crew- Did BJ wright the ending?

Started by Ungatt Trunn, April 17, 2013, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

here's something that I noticed when I first finished The Rogue Crew: The ending didn't seem to be done by Brian Jacques. It ends with a letter from the Abbot Thibb. It doesn't tell much about how the characters are fairing, exept that the Shrews are helping to rebuild the Abbey gate, which was knocked down by Razzid Wearat's ship. But that's all. It doesn't tell about how those two young hedgehogs (cant remember there names) are doing, how The Rogue Crew is doing, or anybody else for that matter. It just seems like the ending was rushed through, something that BJ never does in his Redwall books.
Now, I see that it is reasonable to believe that BJ didn't wright the ending, since he died before the book was published, but I don't now if this is true. Did he or did he not wright the ending? If he didn't, then who did? Why did it seem like they rushed through it purposely?

Life is too short to rush through it.

Orinoco

From what I understand, not a whole lot of revising was done to The Rogue Crew, as Mr. Jacques was already gone by the time they published it. The book was probably still in rough draft form, so little details like that weren't added yet. The publishers also probably didn't want to change anything, so they left it as it was.
"My turtleneck is irresistible."   - Adam Young

Romsca

Free Thought

Interesting theory.

It's quite possible that they used a separate writer to finish the ending, or that they just published what notes he had on it with minor editorial interference.

Tam and Martin

T=They probably added a few minor things to it

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Ungatt Trunn

The only thing in the book that seemed out of place was the end of the end of the book. Everything else was fine.
Quote from: Romsca on April 17, 2013, 11:03:22 PM
So they published the rough draft?
Was it? It seemed too good to be that!

Lutra

It didn't read like a rough draft so my guess is it was largely finished before Mr. Jacques' passing.  I didn't find the ending unusual or out of place.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

LordTBT

Yes he wrote it. The book was complete by the time he passed. He was often done writing books many, many months prior to publication. 

Captain Tammo

Quote from: LordTBT on April 21, 2013, 07:15:36 PM
Yes he wrote it. The book was complete by the time he passed. He was often done writing books many, many months prior to publication. 

Yeah the when a release date is set (like it was before his death) that means the book is all finished and is just being distributed to stores or something. He wrote the whole thing
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ungatt Trunn

Yes he wrote it. The book was complete by the time he passed.
Then why did the ending seemed so "rushed"?

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on April 22, 2013, 11:55:12 PM

it didn't seem rushed to me.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Shadowed One

Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on April 23, 2013, 02:55:27 AM
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on April 22, 2013, 11:55:12 PM

it didn't seem rished to me.
You mean rushed?
I dont know. It might just be me, but I really think that the ending seemed kind of rushed, as I have said before.

rachel25

either way I LOVE Rogue Crew it is my most prized position and is almost my favourite book but Taggerung is and always will be my favourite  ;D   

Dawnwing

It's been quite some time since I read it, so I don't remember the ending, but I'm sure that it was already complete.  The release date was only about 4 months after his death, and books are usually done long in advance.  For example, with the Warriors series by Erin Hunter, I know that they write the books roughly a year in advance, and we've seen evidence that they're already printed at least 3 months before the release date.