News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Lost Worlds

Started by WoodlandWarrior, May 25, 2013, 12:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlandWarrior

Being a fan of many pulp fiction authors and stories, I naturally have a love of the lost/counter worlds that are featured within.  I was wondering if anyone has a favorite? 

Classic examples would be Atlantis (Kull the Conquerer), Lemuria (Thongor), Pellucidar (At the Eath's Core), Mars (A Princess of Mars), Lost Worlds/Hollow Earth (Lost World, Land that Time Forgot, Journey to the Center of the Earth), Hyboria (Conan), Gor (Tarnsman of Gor), etc. 

I think my favorite would be Hyboria, since it has such a wild feel to it.  Many of the cultures are similar to our own but are so different at the same time.  Cimmerians and Picts are just downright awesome!

I think my second would be Pellucidar.  Beast men, intelligent flying reptillians, what is not to love!?
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ziz includez ztuff like Journey Tae Ze Centre O' Ze Earth, right?
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Buzz_Bumble

There's also the future worlds of HG Wells' The Time Machine and the one in Planet of the Apes.

The "Star" franchises (Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate) visit numerous different worlds.  :)

WoodlandWarrior

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on May 25, 2013, 12:11:03 AM
Ziz includez ztuff like Journey Tae Ze Centre O' Ze Earth, right?

Sure does! :)

Yes indeed!  I forgot about the future worlds! Doh!  Morlocks freak me out.  I love Star Wars and Star Trek, which is, I've heard, an oddity.  I guess in general, most love one or the other?

I must have read the old Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and Tales from Jabba's Palace countless times.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Buzz_Bumble

There's also Tales From the Empire and Tales From the New Republic (plus nearing 200 other Star Wars novels).

I like both Star Wars and Star Trek too (and Stargate and Buck Rogers) ... the proper Star Trek, not the rebooted Enterprise TV series or the silly rebooted new movies. JJ Abrams finally did what Berman and Braga started - he killed real Star Trek and it looks like he's now moving on to kill Star Wars as well.  :(

Another series with other worlds is Flash Gordon.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Nay, nae Ztar Varz! Quick, blazt ze movie chapz vith ze Death Ztar!

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

WoodlandWarrior

I love the old Flash Gordon serials.  And...being a product of the time, I love the Flash Gordon movie even though it is really cheesy.  :) 

JJ Abrams...I'm not a fan at all.  I think he is too hyped.

I'm curious, do you have particular era in Star Wars you enjoy?  I love the Rebellion Era and the Old Republic.  I also love the comics with Exar Kun.

Buzz_Bumble

If it has a Star Wars logo on - I like it, even the rather unpopular Droids and Ewoks animated shows.  :) The only exception really is the best forgotten, Holiday Special - even that wouldn't have been too bad, but it's mostly unintelligble Wookiee grunts with a badly animated section and even worse Bea Arthur "musical" piece.

I haven't played most of the Star Wars games (I'm noy very good and quickly get motion sick with the 3D first/third-person type ones) nor read most of the comics and novels (although I do have all the books). I also haven't yet seen most of The Clone Wars animated show (I do have them on DVD).

Unfortunately, with greedy Disney and JJ Abrams now in charge, it could easily be all downhill from now.  :(

Of course, George Lucas originally wanted to make a Flash Gordon movie, but couldn't get the rights to do it, so he made up his own space saga instead, Star Wars:)

Dune is another one with other worlds ... but I gave up trying to read the books when after 50 pages (note: that's an exaggeration - just!) they were STILL warbling on describing the sand planet ... it felt like they were describing each grain of sand separately.  :(

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah like aw o' it, but ah prefer ze Old Republic, Rize o' ze Empire, an' Yuuzhan Vong an' Darth Krayt era'z.

WoodlandWarrior

I've never read much of the Yuuzhan Vong...how is it?

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Great! Alzough ah've only read ze firzt book an' ave ze lazt an' vone other at ze moment...But ah 'ave read a lot aboot zem!

WoodlandWarrior

You ever read any of the comics with Cade Skywalker?  He's from the Legacy era.  It isn't bad...some interesting story lines.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah've read aboot zem. It zoundz like an' intereztin' ztory. Ah've read aboot a lot o' zem, but ah've yet tae actually read ze comicz.

WoodlandWarrior

There are some excellent Star Wars comics.  As I said before, I love the Exar Kun and old Sith Empire lines.

Speaking of lost worlds....anyone planning to see After Earth with Will Smith?

Buzz_Bumble

Many of the Dark Horse Star Wars comic books later get made into proper novels.

The only movies I pay to see are the Star Wars ones (I have won tickets to see a couple of other movies in the cinema a couple of times though - Planet 51 was one). Anything else I just wait until it arrives on normal TV channels for free.  :)