News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Lost Worlds

Started by WoodlandWarrior, May 25, 2013, 12:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlandWarrior

Generally I am the same way...but I really like Will Smith.  He is one of the few actors/entertainers who have not let Hollywood spoil him.  His films are usually family friendly romps or decent action movies.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Buzz_Bumble

Last I read they were still planning a sequel movie to Independence Day.

Two more sci-fi shows with other worlds: Starship Troopers and Space: Above & Beyond. The second season of Seaquest DSV stupidly somehow managed to visit other worlds (some nonsense about the submarine suddenly becoming a starship ::)).

WoodlandWarrior

Heh I remember Space Above and Beyond :)

I love Starship Troopers.  Heinlein is an author who was a genius at science fiction.  As much as the movie got poor reviews, I thought its message was very in tune with the books.  Paul Verhoeven is great the way he did all the news and media coverage in the film.  I loved his Robocop as well.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Buzz_Bumble

Robocop is in the process of being "rebooted".  :(

Sliders visited many different Earths, although most of them were basically the same. Primeval (another UK show with an apparently awful Americanised version - a sequel series, but I haven't seen it) also visited a few Earths, mostly in the past, but towards the end they also visited the near future.

WoodlandWarrior

I heard about the Robocop reboot.  From what I've read they are already trouncing it.

I enjoyed Sliders...it was generally underrated and could have used more funding, but JRD is the best!

Primeval from what I saw of the UK version was pretty good.  I'll be honest I've only seen a few episodes though.

Buzz_Bumble

Sliders was fine until they brought in the bimbo "Army Barbie" and most of the original cast left, then it quickly went downhill. Primeval is quite good, but, as is often the case, both shows suffered from the writers quickly running out of ideas.

WoodlandWarrior

The original cast in Sliders was great.  I was always a bit bummed it received such a terrible dvd release.

Buzz_Bumble

I think all the seasons of Sliders were released on DVD down here in Australia and New Zealand. Unfortunately it's one of the many old shows I would like to buy, but simply haven't won Lotto yet (a bit difficult when I don't even buy tickets).  :)

WoodlandWarrior

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 03, 2013, 04:49:15 AM
I think all the seasons of Sliders were released on DVD down here in Australia and New Zealand. Unfortunately it's one of the many old shows I would like to buy, but simply haven't won Lotto yet (a bit difficult when I don't even buy tickets).  :)

No kidding :(  My wish list is huge!  That is the problem with being a collector of multiple things. :)

Buzz_Bumble

It can even be a problem when you collect one thing - for example, there's SO much Star Wars or Star Trek stuff out there that's it's impossible to collect it all.  :(

WoodlandWarrior

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 10, 2013, 08:28:17 AM
It can even be a problem when you collect one thing - for example, there's SO much Star Wars or Star Trek stuff out there that's it's impossible to collect it all.  :(

That's true.  My father is a big Star Trek fan and has more memorabilia of so many different types.  It goes from mugs, figures, cards, clothes to really odd ball stuff like marshmallow dispensers.

Buzz_Bumble

Sounds similar to my Star Wars collection.  :)

The Japanese make some really weird Star Wars items - mostly based on R2-D2, including an R2-D2 laundry basket.

The American ThinkGeek.com webstore created an April Fools joke product a few years ago whoch was a Tauntaun Sleeping bag. The product was so hugely popular that they actually made it a reality (a fully licensed product by LucasFilm). You can now buy a the sleeping bag, unzip it's stomach and spend the night sleeping inside a tauntaun ... without the nasty smell Han Solo mentioned in the movie.  :)

WoodlandWarrior

I want that sleeping bag!  Have you ever seen the Millennium Falcon bed?  It is really awesome.

Speaking of Space Operas and Lost Worlds, there was a good series of books called Deathstalker.  They were similar to Star Wars in the space opera theme (political intrigue, space pirates, etc)...great science fantasy.

Buzz_Bumble

Forget that tiny bed ... there's some guy trying to build a life-size Millennium Falcon (FullScaleFalcon.com).  :)

I don't think I've ever heard of Deathstalker ... then again, not liking zombies, etc. I may well have ignored it just because of the title.

WoodlandWarrior

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 13, 2013, 08:39:15 AM
Forget that tiny bed ... there's some guy trying to build a life-size Millennium Falcon (FullScaleFalcon.com).  :)

I don't think I've ever heard of Deathstalker ... then again, not liking zombies, etc. I may well have ignored it just because of the title.

Wow....!  That guy sure is dedicated.  He is even constructing the instrument panels and such.  That's impressive.

Deathstalker is a good sci-fantasy series, though it is quite obvious to see its influences.  But I don't mind that...to me some cliches are like warm mittens. :)