News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Redwaller, June 02, 2013, 08:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyblade

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on July 15, 2015, 02:22:32 AM
Quote from: Skyblade on July 15, 2015, 02:17:46 AM
I've heard of these games, and I am actually slightly interested.

Problem is I don't like to get into video games - or fandoms in general - because they cost me not only money but, more importantly, time. All this stuff I'm hearing about spending hours on this is worrying me. So I really don't know. I mean, is it worth it?

It IS worth it just for the amusement factor, but if you don't like to waste time then you shouldn't get into video games at all. A simple "look" can easily become an addiction (for this game specially).

Snap. Maybe not then. Addictions are so NOT what I need.

Yes, amusement is nice, but I need to do things that are productive. So much easier said than done :( Belive it or not, I try... but it's hard to do studying and work for my academic life when I would rather do other things :-\

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Skyblade on July 15, 2015, 02:27:30 AM
Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on July 15, 2015, 02:22:32 AM
Quote from: Skyblade on July 15, 2015, 02:17:46 AM
I've heard of these games, and I am actually slightly interested.

Problem is I don't like to get into video games - or fandoms in general - because they cost me not only money but, more importantly, time. All this stuff I'm hearing about spending hours on this is worrying me. So I really don't know. I mean, is it worth it?

It IS worth it just for the amusement factor, but if you don't like to waste time then you shouldn't get into video games at all. A simple "look" can easily become an addiction (for this game specially).

Snap. Maybe not then. Addictions are so NOT what I need.

Yes, amusement is nice, but I need to do things that are productive. So much easier said than done :( Belive it or not, I try... but it's hard to do studying and work for my academic life when I would rather do other things :-\

I know how you feel and you DEFINITELY need to take a break (or at least slow down a little bit) from all that routine. That said, you can be very proud of the results you are getting as a reward for your perseverance :)
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Skyblade

I'm sorry you are going through that, then. It really sucks.

Thank you, though. I've been rather tired lately, which is horrible because it's summer! I need to rest. However, I have a hard time sleeping. And then I don't want to work and study (or do anything, to put it simply) when I'm tired.

I will try harder in everything. I'll find a solution to my "insomnia" and study habits.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Cornflower MM on July 15, 2015, 02:23:14 AM
What are they about? I've never heard of these two IRL.

Right. I have never played a single ES game except Skyrim which is the fifth one (obviously). The Elder Scrolls in general is about the continent of Tamriel (on the planet of Nirn in the realm of Mndus) and it's history as well as the Elder Scrolls, which I understand to be a key plot point of each game/DLC (one per game/DLC). Skyrim is about the return of the dragons in the country of Skyrim which were a species hailing from the continent of Akavir and were wiped out long ago. In it, you play the Dragonborn or, in the dragon language, Dovahkiin. A person with the soul of a dragon who can consume and use the souls of other dragons in special shouts. You must find out why the dragons are returning and re-vanquish them all along with their god-king Alduin. You must also pick a side in the Skyrim civil war, fight in battles and get distracted by thousands of sidequests and DLC content.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Skyblade on July 15, 2015, 02:39:56 AM

Thank you, though. I've been rather tired lately, which is horrible because it's summer! I need to rest. However, I have a hard time sleeping. And then I don't want to work and study (or do anything, to put it simply) when I'm tired.

I will try harder in everything. I'll find a solution to my "insomnia" and study habits.

I'm not going thru anything -I was just saying that I know how it feels- but I wholeheartedly thank you for caring about that :)

Yeah, you do sound tired and I'm sincerely worried about that. Sadly, I don't know what kind of advise to give for fighting off the insomnia thing (but I will look up some solutions).

And no, trying harder won't help this time... you need to slow down.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

The Skarzs

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on July 15, 2015, 02:44:12 AM
Quote from: Cornflower MM on July 15, 2015, 02:23:14 AM
What are they about? I've never heard of these two IRL.

Right. I have never played a single ES game except Skyrim which is the fifth one (obviously). The Elder Scrolls in general is about the continent of Tamriel (on the planet of Nirn in the realm of Mndus) and it's history as well as the Elder Scrolls, which I understand to be a key plot point of each game/DLC (one per game/DLC). Skyrim is about the return of the dragons in the country of Skyrim which were a species hailing from the continent of Akavir and were wiped out long ago. In it, you play the Dragonborn or, in the dragon language, Dovahkiin. A person with the soul of a dragon who can consume and use the souls of other dragons in special shouts. You must find out why the dragons are returning and re-vanquish them all along with their god-king Alduin. You must also pick a side in the Skyrim civil war, fight in battles and get distracted by thousands of sidequests and DLC content.
As well as deal with the numerous glitches that pop up, sometimes hilarious, sometimes mind-skeweringly annoying.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Skyblade

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on July 15, 2015, 02:45:09 AM
Quote from: Skyblade on July 15, 2015, 02:39:56 AM

I'm not going thru anything -I was just saying that I know how it feels- but I wholeheartedly thank you for caring about that :)

Yeah, you do sound tired and I'm sincerely worried about that. Sadly, I don't know what kind of advise to give for fighting off the insomnia thing (but I will look up some solutions).

And no, trying harder won't help this time... you need to slow down.

Okay, I am glad you're not going through anything like this ^^

Thank you so much, Sierra.

Anyway, to be on topic... this saga sounds quite epic, but it's not for me. Maybe it would be in an alternate universe where I had more time. But not here.

James Gryphon

Whether you get addicted to something also depends on your interests and personality. I think I have a rather addictive personality, but even so there are things that simply don't interest me like they do other people.

I think a way to figure whether you're likely to become addicted to something is to gauge your current interests. In my case, for example, I tend to like open-world games, especially ones set in space. If I know that a game meets this criteria, and I don't want to spend a lot of time on it, I might consider avoiding it. If it's something else completely (like a puzzle game), then even if I like it, I won't necessarily spend too much time on it.

If you're not big on video games as it is, even though you've had an opportunity to play some, then I'm guessing that even if you like it, you probably won't spend all your time on this one. That's just my guess, of course; it might be totally off.
« Subject to editing »

Skyblade

Hmm, that's interesting.

I do sometimes get addicted, though lately I've been fine. I keep myself from getting too attached to most things. I just don't like it. Anyway, I'm too busy being addicted with this book series I'm writing ;)

I don't think I'll pick this up... now isn't the time for me to play video games.

Thank you for the advice, though, James :)

Luftwaffles

QuoteAs well as deal with the numerous glitches that pop up, sometimes hilarious, sometimes mind-skeweringly annoying.

The good thing is that there are some mods that take full advantage of those glitches (plenty of videos too) ;D

Gonff the Mousethief

Sky, I long for the day where you are just completely free from obligations and studies, so you can sit down and take a long, deep breath, exhaling with all past troubles and tribulations. Until then, I hope everything goes smoothly and you can find good quality time to relax and enjoy all the ways to relieve yourself from stress.

As for video games and getting addicted, anything that can let me go to another world, like Books, Art, Movies, Games, I am into. I find much pleasure in all sorts of things, but I have one love for video games (Especially Shadow of Mordor right now, that game is so much fun!). As for addictions, if I am reading a good book or series, I will keep reading and reading until there is no more (Hasn't been the case of late): Same with writing. I wouldn't call it an addiction, but getting into it I suppose.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Skyblade

Gonff, you are truly kind and selfless. I appreciate you. Your words were a cool drink on a hot summer's day (cheesy metaphor, but it fits this situation so well).

Thank you :)

Oh, and being taken to another world can indeed by addicting!

Delthion

I would not have pegged you Gonff for liking Shadow of Mordor. I've never played it, but I read a review and t was...interesting...
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Gonff the Mousethief

@Sky: Thank you for what you said Sky. You and truly kind and selfless. And the metaphor fits the situation perfectly in a literal stance (Its 104 here. A cold drink would be great, especially now).

@Del: It  is honestly my favorite Lord of the Rings game, with the mechanics and gameplay, plus it looks stunning and is one for good storyline.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Skyblade

Thank you ^^ And haha, it's summer ;D