News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Redwaller, June 02, 2013, 08:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRocktree

Ah, Okay. So, ESO is different then Skyrim right? Which one would you recommend me getting first? Or should I just wait till ESO: Tamriel Unlimited? Also, Why is it rated M? Is it just for violence? Or what? Sorry for being a noob and asking all these questions. :P :D ;D.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

Rainshadow

Quote from: Delthion on August 04, 2015, 03:59:07 AM
What is your favorite species? I think mine might be the Redguard...

I'm fond of the Khajiit, but in ESO, I chose Argonian, simply 'cause at the time my brain went:  "Aldmeri Dominion?  That's the Thalmor, right?  I don't wanna join the Thalmor, so I'm not gonna play in the Aldmeri Dominion."  I remembered soon after creating my character and starting the game that the Aldmeri Dominion and the Thalmor were two different groups, but at that point I didn't really care anymore.  :P

@Rock:  Yes, ESO is different.  Skyrim focuses on the country of Skyrim, whereas I believe ESO stretches to all of Tamriel (although it could just be a few countries; Iunno, I've only owned the game for a day :P).  If you want to play a single-player game that (in my opinion) is a bit simpler to learn, go with Skyrim.  If you're a fan of MMOs and want to see much more of Tamriel, go with ESO.  Both are very good, though.

Also, what do you mean, "wait till ESO: Tamriel Unlimited"?  Do you mean wait till it's out?  'Cause it's already been released; that's the version me and my brother own.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Gonff the Mousethief

Yes, ESO is almost all of Tamriel (Excuding Morrowind and Skyrim which they already made games of). Well, ESO takes place a 1,000 years before Skyrim, but it doesn't make that much of a difference. Both are great, but if you want to do more with others and fight bigger battles and larger missions, than ESO  first. If you want to go solo and get the feel first, plus get an awesome experience with Dragons and that story, than Skyrim. Either one is good. Tamriel Unlimited is already out, and that is the one you get for consoles and the newer PC version. It released earlier this June. Yeah, just mainly for violence. It says Sexual themes, but I have a good 20 hours and have crossed 3 almost 4 major areas and have not found anything, so no reason to worry for that. There is also drinking, but go to a Chile's and you see that so  :-\. Same with Skyrim. Oh no its fine. Glad to help  ;D

I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

CaptainRocktree

Thanks for all the help! I still don't know which game I will get if I get it  :P. Anyways, Sorry for the confusion Rain! Thanks for clearing it all up! The only bad part, I pay my part in the xBox Ill be broke.. Ha ha
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

Dawnwing

Quote from: Delthion on August 04, 2015, 03:59:07 AM
What is your favorite species? I think mine might be the Redguard...

Mine is Altmer.

Quote from: CaptainRocktree on August 04, 2015, 05:10:38 AM
Ah, Okay. So, ESO is different then Skyrim right? Which one would you recommend me getting first? Or should I just wait till ESO: Tamriel Unlimited? Also, Why is it rated M? Is it just for violence? Or what? Sorry for being a noob and asking all these questions. :P :D ;D.

I'd recommend Skyrim first; it's a fantastic game and it's my favorite game of all time.  ESO is fun, but IMO it's really meant for fans of the Elder Scrolls series than anything - it doesn't have as much to do as, say, Guild Wars 2, and it's more focused on the world and lore and stuff.  And then once you've played Skyrim you can see what some of the places looked like 1000 years earlier, when ESO takes place.

As far as the M rating:

- For Skyrim, it's mostly violence, yeah - blood and so forth.  Also the fact that your character can have alcohol, and there's very infrequent swearing and infrequent sexual references.  
Part of it too is that people can make mods for the game, and that the last game, Oblivion, was rated T until someone came up with a nudity mod on the internet and it got re-rated (I think that's stupid since it wasn't actually part of the game, just something that someone randomly made...), so they don't want any trouble with that sort of thing.

- ESO honestly should be a T rating.  The violence is a lot less graphic than Skyrim.   There's still the alcohol thing, and swearing and sexual references are just as infrequent (probably even more infrequent) as in Skyrim.  I suppose that they didn't want to worry about players' behavior and stuff.

Jetthebinturong

As far as I can tell, an M rating is the equivalent of an eighteen and a t would be the equivalent of a fifteen.

This being the case, an M rating for either Skyrim or ESO is completely unjustified. The violence in Skyrim isn't graphic at all. Not in any way. Changing a rating because of alcohol in-game seems ridiculous judging by the fact that your character has to be an adult of at least twenty years-old. Swearing in Skyrim is virtually non-existant and swearing should get a t rating anyway. Sexual references should also be rated t.

If ESO is less then it's got to be really working for that M rating.

Or maybe we just have higher standards for each rating over here.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Dawnwing

I dunno, I think it's justified for Skyrim. Blood spatter, (rare) decapitations, Reachman camps with goat heads on spikes and stuff like that, stuff like the Molag Bal quest... I think that's M-worthy.
The other stuff - the alcohol and the other infrequent stuff - I don't think is bad at all, but I think an M is fair for Skyrim.

ESO should definitely be a T, though.

Rusvul

A T rating in the US is rated for 13+, not 15+.

I've always thought age ratings were kind of arbitrary- I mean, it's a good guideline for making sure a child/adolescent doesn't accidentally get in to something they would find disturbing or uncomfortable, but other than that, I'm not sure why people decide certain things are 'not for kids.'

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on August 10, 2015, 02:47:19 AM
   I've always thought age ratings were kind of arbitrary- I mean, it's a good guideline for making sure a child/adolescent doesn't accidentally get in to something they would find disturbing or uncomfortable, but other than that, I'm not sure why people decide certain things are 'not for kids.'

I would think to "preserve their innocence" or something like that, which is ridiculous.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Matthias720

Recently picked Skyrim back up for a 5th playthrough (or was that sixth?) and I have spent WAY too much time playing it this past week. I suppose it may have something to do with my desire to do as many quest as possible before touching the main quest, or perhaps the 200+ mods I'm using, or maybe it's the strange RP I'm running my character against. Whichever it is, I am having too much fun for my own good. I'm getting backlogged on so many other things, it's not even funny (feel free to laugh anyway).

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on August 10, 2015, 03:53:36 AM
Quote from: rusvulthesaber on August 10, 2015, 02:47:19 AM

I would think to "preserve their innocence" or something like that, which is ridiculous.
I don't even play this game, but I'd like to say that I think kids' innocence should be preserved, and that the movies, books, shows, and video games they play should be monitored.  Although I'm "old enough" for a lot of things, I choose not to deal with many of them.  I don't read smutty fanfics even though many people younger than me do (I don't think people should allow mature stuff of that ilk into their mind.  I know this girl at my AHG troop who's only twelve, but she has read The Fault in Our Stars.  She told me that her mom didn't care much what she read.  I was horrified.), and I try to stay away from stories with a lot of swearing and/or suggestive content.  (I don't want a whole lot of dirty stuff in my mind.)  A lot of people would probably think I'm old enough to read this stuff, though.  Can you imagine what they'd do to a younger person who (although they might not seem to be affected), aren't as psychologically able to handle it as older people would?  (Especially the smut.  Honestly, I can't see what would possess someone to write/read that bad stuff.)

Anyway.  Yeah.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

Oh no, it's talking about sex!
I'm pretty sure there's only implied sex in The Fault in Our Stars (I haven't read it so I can't say for sure) which, is realistic. If one or both of you is likely to die soon and you know what sex is and how to do it, you're going to have sex, no two ways about it.

I find it pretty shocking when kids under fourteen know all about sex and stuff but then I realise that they have nigh-unlimited access to the internet that I didn't as a kid. However, finding it shocking is not the same as me disapproving. I think most kids are a lot more emotionally mature than most adults give them credit for and I don't see how one can be "corrupted" by finding out about a biological necessity of species propagation that is ingrained into their brains. Also there's no sex in Skyrim.
[close]

Swearing I've shared my thoughts on before but to sum up: words are words, denying people the usage of certain ones because they're "bad" is ridiculous.

Alcohol: most teens drink. They aren't supposed to but they do. And the ones I know drink responsibly. (I don't drink by the way, I don't like the taste.) And even if they don't drink it's not going to corrupt their minds and make them believe that drinking alcohol at their age is okay. Parents/guardians will have told them that already.

Oh no, sex again!
I don't usually read smut as I find it the most boring sort of fiction. I don't think it's inappropriate or anything like that, it's purely the boredom factor. I will however read fanfiction which has smut within it, because the relationships of the characters have been developed and you understand them which means that it's no longer just about sex, it's an act of love. That's the point, that's why the reasonable people write it, because they love the idea of the relationships between the characters and they want to show how that can translate into other places and situations. Pure smutfics are hormone driven travesties of literature.
[close]

Delthion

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on August 27, 2015, 10:50:41 PM
I'm pretty sure there's only implied sex in The Fault in Our Stars (I haven't read it so I can't say for sure) which, is realistic. If one or both of you is likely to die soon and you know what sex is and how to do it, you're going to have sex, no two ways about it.
[close]

Not necessarily.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jetthebinturong

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on August 27, 2015, 10:50:41 PM
[close]
Yes, I think it was mostly implied, but I wasn't really happy that that twelve-year-old had read it.  And like Del said, you aren't necessarily gonna do that.  If you're a Christian, you'd get married first.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien