News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

becoming a redwall nerd.....

Started by phoenixfoden, June 03, 2013, 12:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Tam and Martin on July 03, 2013, 08:12:53 PM
Quote from: Redwaller on July 03, 2013, 01:10:56 PM
Here's my boring copy of Redwall:

THAT IS AWESOME!!! :o :o :o
Aye, ye've got tae love ze Abbey in ze background!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

phoenixfoden

Quote from: Redwaller on July 03, 2013, 01:10:56 PM
Here's my boring copy of Redwall:

they sell those at the bookshop i go to

Ferrousferret

I have to say, I haven't, but I'm thinking about trying to collect all the different covers of my favorite books one day, Redwall included. But, that IS a lot.

There's 23 books with slightly different designs from Hardcover to paperback & there have been 4 different releases of Redwall, 3 of Mossflower-Mariel of Redwall & 2 of everything else. And, that's just North America. I know that there are different covers still for both East & West Europe, maybe more that I'm unfamiliar with...

Just nothing now. I don't have money to blow & my lists are long enough without buying extra things I don't have room for just for display. ::)

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Ferrousferret on July 04, 2013, 03:18:05 AM
I have to say, I haven't, but I'm thinking about trying to collect all the different covers of my favorite books one day, Redwall included. But, that IS a lot.

There's 23 books with slightly different designs from Hardcover to paperback & there have been 4 different releases of Redwall, 3 of Mossflower-Mariel of Redwall & 2 of everything else. And, that's just North America. I know that there are different covers still for both East & West Europe, maybe more that I'm unfamiliar with...

Just nothing now. I don't have money to blow & my lists are long enough without buying extra things I don't have room for just for display. ::)

I wish I could do the same, but just look at this list! http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/Book_Cover_Gallery
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Ferrousferret

Ho...ly...shhhh...

Although, I find myself oddly disappointed that there isn't a Japanese original cover. Don't mind me, I'm currently learning Japanese & having a book I know really well in that language would be very helpful...

I still love most of those covers. The original English ones & the Firebird releases are especially beautiful.

Leatho Shellhound

I know, right? There are a lot of good covers.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on July 03, 2013, 03:21:12 PM
Anyway - I have no special copies of the books myself. Someone mentioned earlier about publishers keep changing how the books look over the years. SO annoying! I'm quite a perfectionist with things like that and so it bothers me when they aren't all the same. Not to mention it messes around with the ordering of my book shelves. My copies are mostly the small and nicely designed UK Red Fox versions. Then I've got the same size yet differently styled Triss. And then the newer books get larger and different looking then on. Then I also have an even smaller than the old UK edition US edition of The Sable Quean (though I did tell my bf to get me UK editions only... though in fairness, I prefer the smaller writing of that US book), which messes my collection up further!

That was me. My Redwall books come in about eight different sizes and cover designs. It's the same with most other long-running series of books too. :(

It's not just books either. They change the style of DVDs too - if, for example, you bought each Harry Potter movie as it was released, they won't match becasue they kept changing the style. Another example is Hasbro keep changing the card style  and shape for the Star Wars figures.

WoodlandWarrior

@buzzbumble

That's true.  I do like sets to match for things.  I do have multiple copies of many certain books because I am a collector.  However, there is nothing better than having a row all match.  It bothers me that certain series I have are not matching...perhaps because I am a tad obsessive compulsive too. :P
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

MeadowR

^ Haha, yeah. I don't mind quite so much with DVDs as at least they stay the same size. DVDs to Blu-Rays, now that will cause more problems!

Also can't say I'm the biggest fan of the modern UK paperbacks with the silhouettes, as shown above. Prefer the ones with more detailed images of the characters. :)

It's odd seeing the US cover of Mattimeo with Slagar as a quadruped!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ferrousferret

The sillhouettes are in the US too. Although, I'm also not a fan of the newest releases. Basically, just the previous US paperback covers without the cool borders, with the "Redwall" logo & title style from the hardcover of the last two books, on the newer, thicker, glossy paperboard covers that they use to only use for Paperback textbooks & the like. Also, they made them taller to give the illusion that the books are shorter than they really are. Now, those I don't like. I actually enjoy the sillhouettes.

And, yeah, I've got that problem with "The Sword of Truth" too. The majority of the books are designed with these beautiful, masterful landscape paintings of scenes from the books that fade to super thick black borders on top to bottom. Then, you have the black spine with a tiny cropped image of the pic. Each book switches back & forth between a person & a landscape, so when all the books are together, you're SUPPOSED to have this long line of black spines with a giant banner image of different scenes of the series... Except, at book 9, they started changing the pictures to backlit sillhouettes, which continue to this day. At book 11, they began increasing the height of the paperbacks, so the last book in the series is wildly out of proportion with the others. Book 12, they began using the glossy paperboard covers. That, and I have the special edition of book 1 with the cover inspired by the TV series and, while looking really cool, doesn't match up with the other covers whatsoever. Plus, the hardcover of book 12 & I'm probably going to end up getting the hardcover for book 13. I'm not waiting a whole friggin year to add it to my collection in some capacity!

On the whole- nice to have the books, but definitely annoying when they don't match up. :'(

Buzz_Bumble

I'm not a great fan of the sihouette style (I don't think any of my Redwall books are in that style), but it was released a couple of years ago. They have changed it again since then with the release of The Rogue Crew and The Sable Quean to this style with a slightly embossed "Redwall" logo at the top.

It is a nice design, but there's no way I'm going to waste piles of money re-buying the older books simply because the fools can't keep them the same style for the entire series.  :(

Lutra

Mine aren't even close to matching up.  Can't say I'm a collector of cover art....could get quite expensive very quick.  Amazon raised their shipping prices.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra