News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

Redwall (Book)-Should it be revised?

Started by Ungatt Trunn, June 03, 2013, 07:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: rachel25 on June 07, 2013, 05:35:53 PM
No I like it as it is because it was the first Redwall book ever I think it should stay the way B.J. first wrote it  ;)
It could be released as a Special Edition. If it is revised, they don't need to get rid of the original version.

Life is too short to rush through it.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Ungatt Trunn

I just think it would be interesting to see it revised by somebody...one of BJ's sons, perhaps?

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on June 07, 2013, 05:55:13 PM
Zey could dae a FanFic on it!
I don't know if it would be a Fanfiction. It would just be a Revised Edition of the original book. But, say, if a fan revised it, then it would probably be considered a Fanfiction.

Vilu Daskar

I think he made it like that because he didn't know he would be writing more than one.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Vilu Daskar on June 14, 2013, 12:44:01 AM
I think he made it like that because he didn't know he would be writing more than one.
That is a real fact. BJ said so himself.

Lutra

I wouldn't rewrite it even though the book does stick out now that there are many stories.  Why mess with the story that made the series what it is?  We don't need another situation like where in Star Wars, now Greedo shoots first because it would "fit" better because more of the story has been told. ;)  (and Greedo is a lousy shot for a bounty hunter too!)  The original should not be touched for the sake of sequels, no matter the medium.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Lutra on June 15, 2013, 01:24:42 AM
I wouldn't rewrite it even though the book does stick out now that there are many stories.  Why mess with the story that made the series what it is?  We don't need another situation like where in Star Wars, now Greedo shoots first because it would "fit" better because more of the story has been told. ;)  (and Greedo is a lousy shot for a bounty hunter too!)  The original should not be touched for the sake of sequels, no matter the medium.
But it doesn't fit in with the rest of the Redwall books. And they wouldn't really change the story; Just change the spelling of a few words, make the foods fit in, stuff like that. That wouldn't ruin anything, would it?
BTW, I heard some about that whole Greedo thing from Star Wars, but I don't know much about it. What exactly  happened?

Buzz_Bumble

The only person who should be allowed to "revise" anything is the person who originally created it. Anone else mucking about with someone else's hard work is simply a lazy, talentless idiot who can't come upwith their own ideas ... which is about 95% of the people currently in Hollyweird.  :(

Quote from: Lutra on June 15, 2013, 01:24:42 AM
... We don't need another situation like where in Star Wars, now Greedo shoots first because it would "fit" better because more of the story has been told. ;)  (and Greedo is a lousy shot for a bounty hunter too!)

Greedo always shot first ... George Lucas' changes for the Special Edition release simply made it clearer.  ;)

Technically Greedo isn't a bounty hunter. He's a wannabe bounty hunter ... he wants to be like his father who was a real bounty hunter, but unfortunately Greedo didn't iherit his father's talents and is just a clumsy oaf.  :)

There was a scene filmed for Episode I with Greedo fighting young Anakin Skywalker, but it got chopped from the released movie ... I think it's on the DVDs as an extra, but I haven't seen it.

MeadowR

Quote from: VedCassib on June 04, 2013, 02:54:12 AM
While I agree that there are things that seem out of place with the rest of the Redwall universe. I don't think it should be revised. It's the first book. After it was published Brian Jacques learned what the majority of people preferred and thought that some things should be slightly different in the future. Revising it would be like an artist painting over the top of his original painting years later because he it wasn't as good as the ones he is now painting after he has perfected his technique. Without the original the rest would never have existed. Why alter the first work? It shows where he began.

What they said. :) Don't mess with the first, even if it's to change 'what' to 'wot' it would be changing the history and truth of the original book. :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Tam and Martin

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on June 16, 2013, 01:43:07 PM
Quote from: VedCassib on June 04, 2013, 02:54:12 AM
While I agree that there are things that seem out of place with the rest of the Redwall universe. I don't think it should be revised. It's the first book. After it was published Brian Jacques learned what the majority of people preferred and thought that some things should be slightly different in the future. Revising it would be like an artist painting over the top of his original painting years later because he it wasn't as good as the ones he is now painting after he has perfected his technique. Without the original the rest would never have existed. Why alter the first work? It shows where he began.

What they said. :) Don't mess with the first, even if it's to change 'what' to 'wot' it would be changing the history and truth of the original book. :)
Agreed.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Lutra

Buzz, if you find some comparison videos on youtube, you'll see that its practically impossible to determine on the original video if Greedo shot at all....the only thing we know is Han clearly hit his target and made quite an explosion!  Showing that Greedo shoots first kind of cheapens the whole thing.

Anyway, that's a thread hijack....we can continue this elsewhere. :)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwaller

You should not touch one of the Redwall books. If Brian had thought it innapropriate to the rest of the Series, he would have changed it himself.

1. I see no wrong in using Biblical names.(They're just names!)

2. Nothing wrong with Basil suddenly changing is way of speach.

3. It doesn't really matter.

4. They got extinct!  ::)

Mariel

I admit that Redwall does have some "problems" and I don't like it as much as the ohter books, but it can't be revised by someone other thanBJ, it wouldn't be the same. :-\