News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

Redwall's "Gray" Characters

Started by Lutra, July 21, 2011, 01:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciaran Galedeep

Quote from: Lutra on July 21, 2011, 06:47:11 PM
I think I need to respond to an earlier question, "how much have I read" because I'm seeing characters I don't recognize.  :-\

I have NOT read: Rakkety Tam, Eulalia, Doomwyte, The Sable Queen, The Rogue Crew

I read, but hardly remember anything from: The Bellmaker, The Legend of Luke, Lord Brocktree,

The rest I remember bits and pieces here and there.

I'm very rusty on my Redwall.  Its what happens when you get out of school and work full-time.

__________________________________________________-

So if I'm reading posts right, there's another owl character somewhere who isn't so nice.  Where does that put us with owls in terms of the good/bad species?  Are we saying it depends on the owl kind of like those lizards and other secondary characters?

its the  owl on mount batpit in Mossflower

WildDoogyPlumm

I think Verdauga was a not-evil-not-good character.  He was strict but fair.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Marlfox Vanish

Just a thought, in the book "Taggerung" Tagg has never killed a beast even though he was raised by "vermin". Jacques made this clear in the first few chapters. Tagg only kills a beast at the end because the vermin are trying to harm his friend. He is considered the "Hero" in this story, he saves Redwall every one is happy.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: WildDoogyPlumm on April 02, 2012, 01:22:57 AM
Yes. Verdauga was one of the nicest vermin.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

WildDoogyPlumm

Quote from: danflorreguba on April 02, 2012, 06:24:24 PM
Quote from: WildDoogyPlumm on April 02, 2012, 01:22:57 AM
Yes. Verdauga was one of the nicest vermin.
Well, can we even really say that cats are vermin?  I mean, about half the cats seem to be good.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Dannflower Reguba

Are you kidding! there were SCORES of bad cats in The High Ruhlain!
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

WildDoogyPlumm

Maybe, but look at Gingivere and his descendent from the original book and Verdauga.

Maybe cats got worse generally as time went on.

DeathRage

Maybe the Cats That invaded Green Isle were bad and others weren't.
I am Deathrage. Leader of a horde of rats. Bow to me. If you do not... You will see.

WildDoogyPlumm

Oh yeah, I also forgot Sandingomm.  She was good.

Ungatt Trunn

Isn't Ransca from Pearls of Lutra a grey charactor? She is in my opinion, for the fact that she was on the bad side but also helped the good side (if you've read Pearls of Lutra, then you know what I mean).

Life is too short to rush through it.

Lutra

Yes, Romsca is considered a gray character.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

WildDoogyPlumm

Grubbage was also a gray character.  Good rats are interesting. :)

gorath

My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

Jetthebinturong

Also how about Folgrim in Legend of Luke? I know he was never truly evil in the book but before that he seems to have been more evil than most villains, I mean can you think of any cannibal villains apart from Gulo and Cluny? (yes cluny was a cannibal, he considered eating the voles and Plumpen's family)
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Orinoco

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on November 10, 2012, 01:02:16 PM
Also how about Folgrim in Legend of Luke? I know he was never truly evil in the book but before that he seems to have been more evil than most villains, I mean can you think of any cannibal villains apart from Gulo and Cluny? (yes cluny was a cannibal, he considered eating the voles and Plumpen's family)

Good point, but could that really be considered cannabalism? I mean, cannabalism's when you eat your own species, and Folgrim wasn't running around eating other otters (Sorry, that's just been bugging me for a while). Anyways, I also think Folgrim was grey.
"My turtleneck is irresistible."   - Adam Young