News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Redwall: The Graphic Novel

Started by Matthias720, July 22, 2011, 06:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthias720

Since James Gryphon mentioned this in another topic, I thought is was worth discussing.

How many of you have seen/read the Redwall graphic novel, and what do you think about it?

Personally, I flipped through it at the bookstore; didn't buy it though. Graphic novels aren't exactly my thing, but I think they're a great way to introduce Redwall to a younger audience, and a good incentive for non-readers to check out the series.

Captain Tammo

On mr. Jacques's Doomwyte tour, i went to where Brian was speaking and watched. Afterwords, there was a little bookstore with some of his books and the graphic novel. I flipped through it but decided not to get it. I felt the original was better
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Nightfire

I read it. Once. The graphic novel is interesting, a little. I mean, like mentioned above, it helps introduce younger kids to the series.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Lutra

Seen pieces of it online to get a feel what it was like, and have passed on it.  It reminds me too much of comic books, and Redwall is far more detailed and worthy of being read in the novel form.  ;D
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Well, for me, I need to get it...
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Osu

The trend here seems to be "flipped through it, passed!" :D I read it a while ago at a library, didn't even need to check it out. I like art and graphic novels, and I also like Redwall, so it was a triple win for me. I haven't run across it at my local bookstores or I'd buy it. I gotta say, it condenses the story even more than the TV series does, but it's not a bad read. Provided you like that sort of thing, of course. ;)
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Lily

I bought it because it was Redwall. I enjoyed reading it, but for me one of the best things about Redwall is the language - the descriptions of the seasons, the food, and everything else. The graphic novel obviously doesn't have any of that.

Having said that, I really liked the art. I thought it was cute.

Dawnwing

I read it once, but I wasn't a big fan of the art style.

sabretache5611

I thought the art was quite detailed enough to tell the story.  The only thing I didn't like about the graphic novel was that it condensed the plot quite a bit. 
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

DanielofRedwall

I have it. I think it is pretty good, but there are a few things I thought about in the book which was different to how the illustrator thought of it. For example, Constance pulling the cart. I didn't think she would walk on all fours like a horse, I thought she would pull it with her paws while walking standing up. Most of it is just small things like that though. The drawings are pretty darn good if you ask me.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Dannflower Reguba

They included that fact in the book (the original). It said Constance was on all fours!
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Wolfstar

The first time I saw it was when I was going through the Graphic Novel section of the library and I saw it and read it.  I thought it was good that I read it again.
Happy and kind.

WildDoogyPlumm

I loved it!  I think it would have been interesting to see more of the books in graphic-novel form.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Redwallfan7

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

RedwallForever12

I read it, and it didnt have the potential that the book has. I enjoyed it, though.
Not worth buying  ;D
"Friendship is something that th blind can see and the deaf can hear"

RP Description:
  Creature: Ferret
  Color: Sable
Attitude: Sly, suspicious, natural mother
Extra: Loves to poison enemies, is nice to good creatures.
           HATES Wildcat