News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Oddities in book 1

Started by Emperor Ublaz, August 16, 2013, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeadowR

There is quite the style change in writing between more recent books like The Sable Quean and Redwall. Obviously this was known already, but reading it again it's all the more pronounced. All this talk of an 'order' of elder mice, well things definitely toned down in time at the abbey! I think the writing style was more solely directed at younger readers - though I can still enjoy it now. :)

Mice eating fish! Do they do this in any other book? They even mention specifically cheddar cheese. :D
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah like cheeze. Anyvay, na' zat zat iz oot o' ze vay...
Ah believe ze milk zat zey uzed vaz zome zort o' tree zap or zummat made oot o' ze leavez. Ah believe Brian anzvered thiz in vone o' ze queztionz on ze zite vhere people could send in queztionz aboot Redwall.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Faiyloe

The first book was written to read to blind children he would visit them and read to them but he didn't like the things he was reading so he wrote Redwall. He never intended for it to be published.       
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

An' it zeemz tae me zat ze kind o' literature vritten for reazonz like zat often endz up bein' ze bezt vonez. Written tae 'elp an' entertain zoze zat ze author vrote zem for. Care, love, compazzion; never mind 'ov zappy it zoundz, it makez for vone major book!

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Maudie

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on August 18, 2013, 11:20:35 AM
Mice eating fish! Do they do this in any other book?

Yes, several. And remember, there is shrimp and hotfoot soup, which is in basically all the books. I'm trying to think of all the other books where they eat fish. I know that in Taggerung shrews eat eels.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

MeadowR

~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Mask on August 20, 2013, 05:59:33 AM

Yes, several. And remember, there is shrimp and hotfoot soup, which is in basically all the books. I'm trying to think of all the other books where they eat fish. I know that in Taggerung shrews eat eels.
That's "Hotroot" :)

Life is too short to rush through it.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Hotfoot? Ach...zat zoundz like it vid 'urt!

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Maudie

Lol! Sounds like poison to me! :D
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Emperor Ublaz

There was also some size problems. In Redwall, Squire Gingivere is big enough for Matthias to ride him with ease, whereas Tsarmina, Verdauga, and Ungatt Trunn are about the height of a weasel. At least, that's how I picture them.

:-X
Myst is the best puzzle game EVER!!!

You can win by losing. Jesus did.

Why are you looking
So intently at the beans
While they are sleeping?
               --haiku by me

Linux is GREAT!!!

MeadowR

Yeah. The animals are more their actual sizes. Also that cat walks on all fours which is odd enough!

So Gingivere is the cat in Redwall... so on the 'favourite wildcat' thread I voted the wrong cat - I thought Gingivere was the nice/grey wildcat from Mossflower. Is that Verdauga then? Confused!

Anyway, wildcats are always certainly bigger than weasels!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Emperor Ublaz

There are two Gingiveres. The first is the nice one from Mossflower. The second is Squire Julian Gingivere from Redwall. I think the two might be related.
Myst is the best puzzle game EVER!!!

You can win by losing. Jesus did.

Why are you looking
So intently at the beans
While they are sleeping?
               --haiku by me

Linux is GREAT!!!

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Emperor Ublaz on August 21, 2013, 08:55:53 PM
There are two Gingiveres. The first is the nice one from Mossflower. The second is Squire Julian Gingivere from Redwall. I think the two might be related.

Aye, ah believe 'e zaid 'e vaz ze lazt o' ze "Gingivere" family line? Eizer vay, boz o' zem vere pretty nice.

Tam and Martin

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on August 21, 2013, 11:49:41 PM
Quote from: Emperor Ublaz on August 21, 2013, 08:55:53 PM

Aye, ah believe 'e zaid 'e vaz ze lazt o' ze "Gingivere" family line? Eizer vay, boz o' zem vere pretty nice.
I don't remeber when he said that? WHen was that?

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000