News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

when did martin write all of the riddles?

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, December 07, 2013, 05:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonff the Mousethief

how did he know that Matthias would come along?
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Ungatt Trunn

An intresting question...he probably had dreams of visions of what would happen later to Redwall, and he saw Matthias's destiny, and how he could help it be fufilled by writting those riddles to guide him.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Gonff the Mousethief

I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Iamthatis

IAMTHATIS MY SWORD SHALL WEILD FOR ME
RIP BRIAN JACQUES

Kitsune

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on December 07, 2013, 06:11:08 AM
An intresting question...he probably had dreams of visions of what would happen later to Redwall, and he saw Matthias's destiny, and how he could help it be fufilled by writting those riddles to guide him.
Aw, you stole my answer! :D

Captain Tammo

I think that partially true, but I also think that he did this over the course of several generations by talking to other creatures in spirit. I don't think he could've predicted all of the stuff that happened over the course of 22 books!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Captain Tammo on January 19, 2014, 02:51:40 AM
I think that partially true, but I also think that he did this over the course of several generations by talking to other creatures in spirit. I don't think he could've predicted all of the stuff that happened over the course of 22 books!
Who says he predicted what would happen over 22 books? He (or his spirit) just helped out the Redwallers when they needed help; the series never said that he could predict the future.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Tam and Martin

I Agree with Ungatt here:

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on December 07, 2013, 06:11:08 AM

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Nadaz, voice of the host

I always thought that Martin could see the future but I never thought that he had written them mybe he told the future to one of his friends like Gnoff who turned his words into a riddle.
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Eila Wanderstream

We also have to consider the fact that in all of the books he is in, Martin is never mentioned as being particularly sensitive to dreams or fortune-telling. He's a warrior, a worker, a leader. Mayhap, in whatever afterlife awaits Redwall saints, he was chosen to guide the abbey on. I think it quite possible that he worked through creatures like Gonff or even Abbess Germaine after he passed on to carve and secret the riddles around. Time has little meaning for a spirit......

Ashleg

As for later riddles, I think he had living creatures write them and not remember it.

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Ashleg on April 17, 2018, 07:04:59 PM
As for later riddles, I think he had living creatures write them and not remember it.
That's what I think.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques <br /><br />"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly." <br /><br />"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."<br /><br />~JRR Tolkien<br /><br />Long live the RRR!

Nadaz, voice of the host

He must have had latter generations write them and forget doing it, it would have been funny to have a scene when Martin tells someone that they wrote the clues that they had been trying to find.
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

The Skarzs

Let's not forget that Rufe Brush was the one who put Martin's sword on the weathervane generations before Matthias's time. And there was a riddle that went with that. (I think maybe in Samkin brought it back up there after the events in his book- It was struck off by lightning.) It's possible that Rufe or Samkin were led to scatter all the pieces of that puzzle by Martin, like they were to hide the sword. Though why it wasn't kept or remembered in the records is another mystery.

"Rufe/Samkin has gone mad. He took the sword- Martin's sword- and brought it all the way up to the top of the abbey tower to attach it to the weathervane! When asked why he did such a thing, he shrugged, saying that it seemed like the right thing to do. Next, he has gone around with a chisel and a hammer, in the middle of the night no less, and doing all manner of chipping and tapping and hammering. It sounded like he was right above me; I couldn't sleep all night. But not only does he deny ever having done such things, he calls us crazy, and that we're all imagining it."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: The Skarzs on April 27, 2019, 04:35:57 PM
Let's not forget that Rufe Brush was the one who put Martin's sword on the weathervane generations before Matthias's time. And there was a riddle that went with that. (I think maybe in Samkin brought it back up there after the events in his book- It was struck off by lightning.) It's possible that Rufe or Samkin were led to scatter all the pieces of that puzzle by Martin, like they were to hide the sword. Though why it wasn't kept or remembered in the records is another mystery.

"Rufe/Samkin has gone mad. He took the sword- Martin's sword- and brought it all the way up to the top of the abbey tower to attach it to the weathervane! When asked why he did such a thing, he shrugged, saying that it seemed like the right thing to do. Next, he has gone around with a chisel and a hammer, in the middle of the night no less, and doing all manner of chipping and tapping and hammering. It sounded like he was right above me; I couldn't sleep all night. But not only does he deny ever having done such things, he calls us crazy, and that we're all imagining it."
Maybe they did, but they just couldn't find the book.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques <br /><br />"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly." <br /><br />"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."<br /><br />~JRR Tolkien<br /><br />Long live the RRR!