What kinds of clothing do you picture some characters as wearing?

Started by General Ironbeak, December 24, 2013, 02:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Ironbeak

Brian Jacques doesn't always specify what his characters are wearing. If this were set in a modern day world, it wouldn't matter, seeing as we'd know from our life what they'd be wearing. But Redwall is set in medival times, so it's a bit more vague.

We know the mice of the abbey wear green habits. I always loved that fashion statement. It's cause of Redwall that I know what a habit is!

Starla1431

I sometimes picture females wearing short dresses and Skipper otters wearing kilts.

Romsca

Starla1431

No, just some. Though I don't think I know who Romsca is :/.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Starla1431 on December 24, 2013, 10:24:06 PM
No, just some. Though I don't think I know who Romsca is :/.
Romsca's a "gray" female ferret from Pearls of Lutra.

Anyway, it seems like most characters wear tunics.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

General Ironbeak

And should Ironbeak wear a helmet?

Ferrousferret

I always saw the wild otters wearing something a lot closer to Native American type clothing. I figure they were more so meant to be more like medieval English dockmen, or pirates, but I always kind of picture it more like what I stated above.

Which is really weird, since I see everyone else in typical medieval dress.

321tumbler

I see a lot of people in just a tunic, but the Slamandastron hares in uniforms.

General Ironbeak

Do you see the birds or lizards wearing tunics? (Scurl droptail actually wore one in the series)

Ferrousferret

I forgot about them. No, I never pictured any of them wearing clothes. The birds were always bare and I only ever pictured lizards & toads having mud/ paint designs.

321tumbler

I never thought of birds wearing clothes only maybe a sack or in Ironbeaks case, a helmet. As for lizards I usually think of them wearing either a vest, paint, or nothing.

i am that is (Matthias)

General Ironbeak

The Skarzs

Historically, tunics, dresses, cloaks, and kilts were the main articles of clothing usually worn, so I have always imagined them to be clad in such garb.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.