News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Verdauga, 2024

Main Menu

Rose's Death - Poll

Started by Cornflower MM, January 05, 2014, 08:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rose's Death.....

Made you cry, it was so sad and you liked her.
Why does it matter? She was a sucky character
Nuetral

WildDoogyPlumm

Quote from: PluggFiretail on January 09, 2014, 05:07:33 PM
I surprised someone actually chose the second option! :o
I was neutral.

Quote from: Cornflower MM on January 09, 2014, 08:47:03 PM
Well, Shadowed One, I'm guessing you voted She's a sucky character? How anyone could vote that, I've no idea. And she had her faults - They just weren't AS obvious. She was too headstrong, for one.

'Twas me...hope I didn't offend you or anyone else.  But everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

The Skarzs

While it was tragic, I've never really been one to get too upset over stuff like that. When my grandpa died :(, I didn't cry ( <--- very stoic person here) when almost every pet we had died, i wasn't sad either. Neutral is probably my best bet here.  :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Well, like I said, she was headstrong, very stubborn, and once she's made up her mind, it's like, "I don't care! I'm doing it anyway." There's a difference between that and stubborn, just so you know.

Vilu Daskar

I didn't really care that she died
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Ungatt Trunn

Life is too short to rush through it.

Sable

This was a neutral for me. Martin the Warrior is a prequel. As soon as Rose came on the scene it was clear that something was going to happen to her, because Martin shows up in Mossflower alone. Her days were numbered right from the start.

Like Osu said, Rose's death was sad, but not in the ordinary way. It was sad because it was suddenly very clear to every reader how Martin ended up the way he was in Mossflower, not because Rose was a hugely compelling character. The really heartbreaking deaths are the ones where the reader has grown to love the character (see Cregga's death after being in three books) or where the character dies just when their life is about to get better (Urthstripe, anybody?). Rose's death was sad because of it's effects; on Brome, on Noonvale, and especially on Martin.

The real emotional punch from her death comes when you read the opening of Mossflower and see what it's done to Martin.
And this world's a fickle measure
I will painfully remind you
I'm a wise man to your red hand
You lay covered in our best sins
Three hits to the heart, love
And it's poetry in motion

Ungatt Trunn

@Sable: I never thought of it that way. Rose's death must have been more of a relization shock than something sad for BJ's readers.

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on January 24, 2014, 03:27:02 PM
@Sable: I never thought of it that way. Rose's death must have been more of a relization shock than something sad for BJ's readers.
I was the same. I wasn't SAD but I as SHOCKED. It came as such a surprise.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Tam and Martin on January 24, 2014, 03:41:47 PM
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on January 24, 2014, 03:27:02 PM
I was the same. I wasn't SAD but I as SHOCKED. It came as such a surprise.
Yea, shocked can be misunderstood as being sad sometimes.

MatthiasMan

She was my favorite character out of all the books. She was even awesome in the TV show. I wish that she and Martin could have built Redwall together.  I admit, I really like her. I dunno why. I guess it's like how my sister's best friend thought Link from Zelda was cute.  But still, I wish she hadn't died. It was the saddest out of all the books. WHY Jacques, WHYY?

Lord Stonepaw

I was neutral. She was an okay character. 
"He struck for Redwall!
He struck against evil!
He struck for Martin!
He struck for Log-a-Log and his shrews!"

Gonff the Mousethief

I was reading in class when I saw this part and my teacher had to ask me what was wrong :P
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on January 28, 2014, 03:33:38 AM
I was reading in class when I saw this part and my teacher had to ask me what was wrong :P
LOL, wow. ;D

Iamthatis

And what did you tell the teacher.
IAMTHATIS MY SWORD SHALL WEILD FOR ME
RIP BRIAN JACQUES

MatthiasMan

Yes, what did you say, I must know.