News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Pomp and Circumstance

Started by Osu, January 08, 2014, 12:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

Um, I was wondering: If I was to"chat up the population" as you put it, Osu, what would I (or they) talk about? This RP is covering one night, not any good long while to get some chattable events going. It would be weird if everybody talked about stuff that hasn't really happened to the readers knowing. Sure, some talk of eents not seen in the RP is okay, but it would really be weird and rather unintresting if they went on like this for most of the RP. And I think that this RP needs at least some talking; it wouldn't really be alive if the characters were virtually silent. Any ideas to help with this possible problem?

Life is too short to rush through it.

Leatho Shellhound

Hmm, I'm sure some of the older hare will be talking about past battles and experiences.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Ungatt Trunn

Talking gives good development to characters. If they're virtually silent, it's hard to relate and connect with the. That's my reason for why I'm making the characters dialogue a big deal, as it seems. ;)

Osu

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on January 29, 2014, 09:44:55 AM
Haha, sounds good. How about a snark fight between Ayla and Clara and maybe some others? :D
HEY ACTUALLY having something like this play a big role in starting the pandemonium sounds like the better idea to me because it involves two players, rather than putting the burden on one player to start the party, as it were. The ending would be more interesting, too, if both Clara and Ayla have to work together cleaning the place up or something like that. XD

@Ungatt -- agreed, dialogue is really important, especially where this RP is concerned. So of course it's something I'm terrible at, myself. >.< Okay, er, ideas. How about, after the opening speech, everybody cheers and then go about the business of talking/dancing/eating/whatever, as as the hares are getting into their stride, Streampaw is standing next to/nearby some other senior officers, so they could have an exchange first off. Something like "been looking forward to this night forever colonel / haha have fun you chaps don't get into the port wine too early" or something like that. Or they could stay there gossiping. Whatever works.

If Miss pops in with our badgerlord, a short exchange between them wouldn't go amiss, either.

Then he'd go off into the crowd, and... aaaand... bump into everybody else's characters? Alternatively, other hares could be coming up to the colonel instead, so that'd spread the burden of conversation-starters to the other players a bit.

Or I can picture Streampaw having small talk with somebeast, then some other hare joins in and it turns to a real conversation, an pretty soon there's a small group of hares debating, I dunno, the merits of ale compared to wine, something suitably posh or hare-ish like that? Food? Something about food. If there's anything that'll start a conversation with hares, it's the topic of food.

I have no idea if I'm helping at all. Does anybody else have any ideas on the topic...?
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Ungatt Trunn

I like the idea of Streampaw getting into some sort of debate, starting with small talk. I think we should go with that.

Osu

Excellent. Any more commentary on the gist of the thread? Otherwise I'll start looking into getting the actual RP set up.

Oh wait, I still need a character. I'll do that asap.

Miss RainbowSocks

Okay, everybody I'm back! Did I miss anything??

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Miss RainbowSocks on February 02, 2014, 07:35:34 PM
Not much, though, we could use your opinion on some things.
Quote from: Osu on February 01, 2014, 07:46:24 PM
Excellent. Any more commentary on the gist of the thread? Otherwise I'll start looking into getting the actual RP set up.
Well, I guess we can just "go with the flow" if the RP gets started soon. But I'd like a few things a little more planned out. Like, if there is going to be some good-natured debate, what should they be debating about?

Osu

Quote from: Miss RainbowSocks on February 02, 2014, 07:35:34 PM
Start skimming from this post on and then toss in your opinions, if ya like. =3

And I now have a character!

Everard
Name: Lance Corporal Everard Leighton Chant (also known as "lancejack," "corporal Chant," "Ev," and "Evvy.")
Description: No remarkable features whatsoever. Evvy has the kind of face that blends in well with a crowd and is easily forgotten, no matter what he says or does. He's rather soft-spoken, and kind of a late bloomer as well. His height is average, though he's a little scrawny for his age and weight. Brown eyes. He'll be wearing the Long Patrol's version of a white-tie uniform, the dressiest uniform there is. I fondly imagine it to be a long, fancy tunic and white gloves.
Personality + Background: Introverted and rather shy to boot, Ev usually tries to avoid large gatherings apart from Patrol duties. Although he's quiet around others, his close friends know him to be quite cheerful. That said, he's excited to be attending this year's regimental ball and banquet. It'll be his first year allowed/invited to the ball and he's looking forward to the new experience. He's also aware he'll have the chance to have a conversation with the commanders of Salamandastron, most of whom he idolizes but has yet to meet officially. He thinks he might even work up the courage to ask somebeast to dance with him, but he isn't getting ahead of himself or anything. Whatever happens, Ev has decided he'll consider the night a success if he doesn't turn tail and run before midnight.

And he has a huge crush on Ayla, if that's okay with Rain. XD
[close]
Yay for socially awkward hares forced into extreme social situations!

#debating: how about gossiping on who's here, who didn't show up, and who wasn't allowed to show up? Actually if we're doing the 'scorned teenagers crashing the party' idea this would be a great place to foreshadow that part of the disaster. And comments like 'shame so and so couldn't make it, he was a perilous warrior, none could dance like him' 'and now that he's out of the picture *I* am the most perilous dancer!' ...or something like that?

Once the thread has been started and we all have made our introductory posts, worst case scenario I can bring my character over to yours and start some kind of small talk. Miss is possibly starting out in basically the same position as you are, so I'm sure we could work something out between the three of us one way or another. Once the ball is rolling (lololol pun) we should all be able to bounce off of each other's posts. :)

Tiria Wildlough

Er, Ayla was my character. But it's fine for him to have a crush on her. He sounds adorable. XD
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Osu

*facepalm* Yes, of course, I knew that. >.>; Haha, awesome. I'll get my rear up and started on the official thread.

Ungatt Trunn

Mind if my character refures to your character as Evvy in throughout the RP, Osu?

Osu

That's fine, Ungatt :)

Sorry it's taking me so long to get the thread started, I've been pretty busy. But! I expect to have some more time tonight and tomorrow, so it should be up then!

Ungatt Trunn

Osu

.....okay, I told a whopper. :( Sorry, guys! I haven't forgotten about this, promise!