News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Quiz Bowl

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, January 11, 2014, 12:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonff the Mousethief

I was in a quiz bowl match today. I scored 15 correct answers and we won 3 of our 4 games.
does anybody else know what quiz bowl is?
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Blazemane

I wasn't in quiz bowl for school, but my old church was in a league where we studied parts of the Bible.

It's nerve-wracking, but fun.

Gonff the Mousethief

yes, I am in a private school so there are many Bible realated questions.

I agree it is nerve-whaking, but fun
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

The Skarzs

What was one of the questions: see if I can answer it.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

here are 2:

How many women are in the painting The Last Supper?

What city produces the most cars in America?

also, next Friday I will go to the big compition!!! ;D
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

Dawnwing

I loved Quiz Bowl in high school.  Our conference had 2 teams for each school: A-team ("varsity") and B-team ("junior varsity").  During my sophomore year we won conference champs for B-team, and during my senior year we won conference champs for A-team.  During my senior year, I wrote two articles about it for the village newspaper - one describing what it is, listing our team members, and describing how the season was going, and a follow-up describing the end of the season and our conference victory.

I'm not sure what you mean by 3 out of 4 games, unless you mean they weren't all in one day.  For mine, the A-team and B-team would each play one per week.

Memorable moments:
- "What key is the concert flute in?"  I led the flute section in band and the question-reader was my band teacher.  She looked at me expectantly when I hit the buzzer.... and I got it wrong, had gotten confused on what exactly it was asking.  I got teasingly scolded for that one afterward.  xD
- We were trying to make it to the conference match during my senior year.  It was our last match and we were undefeated - however, we were almost out of time and we were down by just a couple points (less than one question's worth of points).  There was just time enough for one question, and the other team buzzed in early, and we were sure we'd lose.  However, they got it wrong, and since it was early, they lost points.  We won by about three points.
- One randomly easy question during the A-team championship, of all times: "Which of the following animals is not a carnivore?"
- When we went to the championship for the B-team, we were watching two other schools compete for the A-team championship.  The question began, "What country..." but one of the guys hit his buzzer on accident. The rule is that if someone buzzes in early, they do not repeat or finish the question.  The guy shook his head, clearly embarrassed and feeling bad, but figured he'd just give it a random guess.  He shrugged and said, "Italy".  The judge looked at the answer, gasped, and laughed, "That's.... correct!"

The Skarzs

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on January 17, 2014, 12:47:44 AM
here are 2:

How many women are in the painting The Last Supper?

What city produces the most cars in America?

also, next Friday I will go to the big compition!!! ;D
Well, I failed  :( What a great person I am  :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

that's really cool!
well we had a practice round with all of the schools.
we played 4 quick games.
also the awesers for the questions are...
Detroit, MI
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

I have the big tournament tomorrow!!!! im scared!!!!
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

The Skarzs

Hope you do alright!
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Skyblade

What's quiz bowl?  ??? I'm guessing from these posts that it's a challenge in which you answer a bunch of random questions, maybe in a time limit, but I don't know exactly.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Gonff the Mousethief

I'm on my way there!
Wish me luck!!! ;D
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

Dawnwing

Good luck, Gonff! :)

Quote from: Skyblade on January 23, 2014, 09:50:01 PM
What's quiz bowl?  ??? I'm guessing from these posts that it's a challenge in which you answer a bunch of random questions, maybe in a time limit, but I don't know exactly.
Yeah, pretty much.  Two teams of students are read a question (can be anything - history, science, current events, drama/musicals, spelling, literature, random trivia, etc), and they press a buzzer to get a chance to answer the question and earn points.

The rules probably vary by region, but in mine here's how it works.  There's two teams with 4 playing at a time.  The question is read, and whoever buzzes in gets the chance to answer.  If they get it right, they earn 12 points and get 2-4 bonus questions for a total of up to 12 more points (and the entire team can work together on those but the captain has to be the one to say the answer).  The match is 20 minutes long if I remember correctly.  If someone buzzes in before the question is finished being read, they stop reading at that point and cannot repeat it or finish and the person has to just answer.  If they get it wrong after buzzing in early, the team will get double points if they get it right.

Gonff the Mousethief

WE GOT 3RD PLACE YAAAAA!!!!!
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.