News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

University!!!!

Started by Tsarmina, March 11, 2014, 06:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsarmina

Hey all! So I've recently started university, into my second week now, and I was wondering who else here goes to uni or has been or even would like to!

Everyone I've spoken to has said that they loved uni. I'd love to know how you guys feel!  :D

~Tsarmi xx
I am Sherlocked <3
OUAT *SwanQueen* forever

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved', the pig was 'committed'." ~Unknown

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action." ~Ian L Fleming

Leatho Shellhound

Great! My older sister is in one.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

MeadowR

I went to university. It was a good experience and opened my eyes to the wider world a bit, having always lived at home before. Personally the way my course ended has left a sour taste in my mouth - but generally uni is a good experience. You can make it more how you want it to be - it certainly isn't all about having a lot to drink, eating cold baked beans or pot noodles for dinner (I, for the record, never did this. But did try pot noodle once to see what it was all about!). What are you studying? :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

321tumbler

My neighbor is in university. I want to go. She home for spring break right now.

Tsarmina

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on March 11, 2014, 03:35:13 PM
I went to university. It was a good experience and opened my eyes to the wider world a bit, having always lived at home before. Personally the way my course ended has left a sour taste in my mouth - but generally uni is a good experience. You can make it more how you want it to be - it certainly isn't all about having a lot to drink, eating cold baked beans or pot noodles for dinner (I, for the record, never did this. But did try pot noodle once to see what it was all about!). What are you studying? :)

Did you go primarily to continue studying to enter a career you wanted?
I'm studying International Studies and Creative Writing.
I am Sherlocked <3
OUAT *SwanQueen* forever

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved', the pig was 'committed'." ~Unknown

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action." ~Ian L Fleming

Tsarmina

Quote from: 321tumbler on March 12, 2014, 01:06:02 AM
My neighbor is in university. I want to go. She home for spring break right now.

What do you want to do at uni?
I am Sherlocked <3
OUAT *SwanQueen* forever

MeadowR

Sounds like an interesting and varied course there! :)

At the time I thought I was doing a subject (Animation) that I might get in to further, but it didn't go quite like that...
Are you in Australia? Do you get loans and all that? Any money towards it given free?
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Vilu Daskar

Do you mean like collage
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Skyblade

Sounds cool! Have a great time  :)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Tsarmina

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on March 12, 2014, 11:35:30 AM
Sounds like an interesting and varied course there! :)

At the time I thought I was doing a subject (Animation) that I might get in to further, but it didn't go quite like that...
Are you in Australia? Do you get loans and all that? Any money towards it given free?

Yeah, I've heard that many people change their degrees at least twice if not more!
Yes, I'm in Australia. I can apply for loans but at the moment I am in a secure financial position so I don't need to. There is this thing called HECS that allows you to pay however much you want and the government pays the rest and then when you start earning $50,000 a year you start paying that difference back.
I'm in a program called Dean Scholars which is for high achievers so I get bonuses like $250 a semester for books and stationary, reading material, USBs, food, basically anything you can buy from the university shop. I also get $50 worth of printing credit that I can use in the uni library.
I am Sherlocked <3
OUAT *SwanQueen* forever

Tsarmina

Quote from: Vilu Daskar on March 12, 2014, 11:49:36 AM
Do you mean like collage

Err well I'm not really sure what the American system is like (You're from America right?) but in Australia college is like high school or a training institution for a particular field; near Sydney in New South Wales we have a college of Nursing. There is also a college for Business. A friend of mine goes to a college which is just another high school.
University is tertiary education where you go to study a special course or courses in order to get a degree, PhD, Masters or Doctorate which enables you to work fully qualified in those fields. University is where Australians go to become teachers, doctors, scientists, engineers, etc. There are also specific unis, like the Australian colleges, that are for specific areas of study, such as nursing, animal care, architecture, etc.
Hope this helps.
I am Sherlocked <3
OUAT *SwanQueen* forever

Vilu Daskar

Here collage comes after High School but you do study a certain thing to get a degree in it.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Tsarmina

Quote from: Vilu Daskar on March 14, 2014, 06:56:48 PM
Here collage comes after High School but you do study a certain thing to get a degree in it.

Oh ok, so yeah it's probably what we'd call university
I am Sherlocked <3
OUAT *SwanQueen* forever

Dawnwing

In December I've just graduated from college.  I double-majored in two computer majors; one was more about programming, while the other was about web design.  I managed both majors in three and a half years.

Blazemane

I'm in college, which, as you've figured out (and I... think is true) is roughly equivalent to university by the American definition of college. Actually, my "college" is called Grand Valley State University, but it's college, anyhow.

I hope you enjoy yourself; creative writing sounds like a great program!