Favourite Redwall Covers?

Started by DanielofRedwall, August 10, 2011, 12:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielofRedwall

What are you favourite covers of Redwall? Any cover at all! Here are mine:

and
Received mostly negative reviews.

Gonff

I've never seen any of those! I like them so much better than the ones on the books I have read.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

DanielofRedwall

Received mostly negative reviews.

Nightfire

I love the UK version of the cover for Triss.  :) Unfortunately, I don't have a picture for it. :'(
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Log-a-Log

Well, now that i have seen the UK covers, I think they are way better than the US ones
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Nightfire

Yes, I agree. The Uk covers are WAAAY better than the US ones. I want to live in the UK! Waaah! *sob*
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Skalrag of Marshank

Oh, the UK's covers are soooooo much awesomer than ours... :'(
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

James Gryphon

I don't agree, myself, that the UK version is always better... here's my opinions.

Redwall: The US Redwall hardcover is a classic, and prominently features Redwall and its heroes, whereas the UK cover prominently features Cluny the Scourge... not properly scaled with either the cart he's standing on or the horse.

Props to the Dutch versions, which are really some interesting alternate cover designs, though I don't think they're as good. It's interesting that they so commonly feature Asmodeus, instead of Cluny; I guess the plot of Matthias going down into the Quarry appealed a lot to the Dutch cover designer.

Mossflower: The US hardcover prominently features the three primary heroes, along with a glimpse of Kotir and the surrounding countryside, a compelling picture.

The UK paperback version features Martin at the helm of Bloodwake/Wuddship, but it practically looks like a toy boat, instead of the massive galley it ought to be, it's so small. The hardcover is a little better, but it still isn't as compelling as the US version, in my mind.

Props to the Russian version, which features an unknown wildcat and the Thousand Eyes army.

Mattimeo: The US cover shows the gist of the story, with Slagar in the harlequin mask and the line of slaves, in an elegant, thematically appropriate way.

The UK hard cover... shows us a mouse. In chains. Not even a glimpse at Slagar. The paper cover is a little better, but still not as good as the US version, I think.

Mariel of Redwall: The current US version is the best, I think; the UK versions are just garish, I think, and not as visually compelling.

Props to the old US paperback, which prominently featured Gabool on the back cover, with a pistol shoved into his belt. ;) I happen to have that version.

Salamandastron: These covers are both very similar, so it depends on what colors you like better... the UK version does show Ferahgo on the back, but it also shows him as looking like a fiend with glowing blue eyes, instead of the charming, debonair weasel that he successfully masquerades as, so I'm not sure that gives them any bonus points.

Martin the Warrior: It goes without saying that Martin looks much more impressive in the US version, where he's wielding a sword, whereas in the UK version it's so short I'm not sure what it is...

The Bellmaker: Hard to say; I like the US version's colors better, but the UK one has a better premise for the cover, and it shows the infamous Foxwolf; the UK version might have a slight edge.

Outcast of Redwall: I happen to have the UK version, but I live in the US, so I was surprised to see that the US version is much more bland... the image of Sunflash with Skarlath is way better than Veil Sixclaw, no doubt about it. The colors are more vibrant and the premise of the cover is much more interesting.

Pearls of Lutra: The US version has a certain charm, but I like the premise of the UK cover better. Negative mention to one of the French versions of the cover, which shows Ublaz Mad Eyes as strongly resembling a fox -- if you didn't already know the story, you would assume that's what he was.

The Long Patrol: I've always liked the US cover, but I think both of them have some issues.

Marlfox: The US cover immediately grabs the attention, with the dark colors and the fox posed the way it is.

The UK version, not so much... it's a generic looking fox with the traveling players in the background, not as interesting a picture, I think.

Legend of Luke: The US hardcover image of Arfship up between the rocks makes for possibly the prettiest cover of any Redwall book. The colors are excellent and give everything the proper contrast.

Lord Brocktree: The UK cover shows Ungatt Trunn, but the US cover doesn't have Brocktree with the sneer on his face, and it isn't as garishly colored, so I'm inclined to give it the edge.

The Taggerung: I have the US version, but I think the UK cover is slightly more appealing; it shows an actual scene from the story, and Tagg doesn't look as much like a fiend in that one -- which I think fits the story better.

Triss: Both of these have issues, I think... they look like a toy boat in both cases, whereas the ship they're in ought to be a bit bigger than the cover art. After all, wasn't that ship supposed to be able to carry an entire group of soldiers from Riftgard?

The US version looks a little more dynamic, though, with the splashing water, and I like the coloring better.

Loamhedge: Because of the coloring, I think the US version is probably better in this case as well.

Rakkety Tam: The US version is definitely a recognizable and more interesting scene; the only weak point is that it shows who I assume to be Rakkety Tam with a look of outright terror on his face, before fighting Gulo, which isn't quite what happened in the story.

High Rhulain: I can't fairly judge this one... they're both all right covers; the UK version has some advantages, but the problem is that it depicts a scene I absolutely detest, where Tiria effortlessly kills the main villain, so I can't like it.

Eulalia: I have to say I think the UK version is better here... plus that shrew on the right is just adorable. ;)
« Subject to editing »

Folgrimeo

As always, the Redwall Wiki has done a tremendous service by having nearly every book cover ever made.

I agree that UK has better covers than US does, but there's been stunners in other languages too. The Russian covers, modern ones anyway, are by and far the best. Here's all of my favorites:

1. Audiobook Taggerung - Not much to look at, but it brought a surge of emotion in me once I realized what it depicted, and what it was about to depict.
2. UK (Swedish used) Outcast of Redwall - Golden rays of sunlight shining through a forest during winter. So peaceful.
3. UK Rakkety Tam - Unbelievable. The full art for this nearly takes my breath away.
4. German Redwall vol.1 - Admit it, this is how everyone imagines Cluny. He's the most iconic of Redwall villains and you can't ask for a better rendition than this.
5. Russian Loamhedge - We used to joke that Badredd looked drunk or high, making this ten times better. All of Loamhedge's covers are great, but this one stands out for how bizarre it is.
6. UK (Norwegian used) Martin the Warrior - Martin deserves a great cover, and you can't ask for much better than this vivid battle scene.
7. French Salamandastron vol.2 - Love it, gives a nice sense of adventure with Thrugg carrying Dumble.
8. US Redwall 20th Anniversary - Matthias looks so majestic.
9. US Taggerung - After all, when I was first introduced to Redwall, I almost picked this up first because I loved the cover so much.
10. UK Legend of Luke - I like both the US and UK versions, but the UK version has more vivid color.
11. German Mariel of Redwall - The sweet pic of Mariel and Tarquin, plus the dreamlike Abbey on the right.
12. Russian Mattimeo original - Gotta love that sunset.
13. UK Mattimeo alternate - *sigh* Look at that vista.

Special mention:
1. Russian Rakkety Tam - I didn't think the Rakkety Tam covers could get any better, and then I see this nice one of a younger-looking Tam. Didn't vote this above the UK version though, because the UK's scenery is breathtaking.
2. Russian Martin the Warrior modern - Assuming that's Clogg, that's how I originally imagined him, showing why I went wild for both Badrang and Clogg as good-looking villains.
3. UK Taggerung modern - These modern covers always had beautiful realistic landscapes, and this is my favorite of the bunch.
4. French Martin the Warrior vol.3 - Just because this is the only time I've seen the Gawtrybe squirrels on a cover.
5. French Mattimeo vol.1 - That's a nice-looking Slagar.

Gonff

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on August 10, 2011, 02:11:26 PM
They're UK versions.

I know and I think overall I like the UK ones better. Although, as Folgrimeo mentioned, there are some really cool ones from other countries too.

Oh, I love the Swedish Outcast of Redwall cover! The US one has Sunflash on the back and Veil on the front and I always wanted it the other way around.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Coobreedan

I like this one 'cos it's how I picture Cluny.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Matthias720

The 2010 Redwall cover is my favorite. It's just plain epic. 8)

Osu

I like a lot of the audiobook covers and the Italian covers.  :D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Skalrag of Marshank

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060612230539/redwall/images/thumb/8/85/Frmtwpb.jpg/205px-Frmtwpb.jpg

I like the French Hardcover of Martin the Warrior, cuz it has Skalrag on the front. ;D

It looks really cool!

Oh my goodness, I didn't mean to double post! Sorry!!
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

James Gryphon

Quote from: Skalrag of Marshank on August 12, 2011, 12:57:40 AM
Oh my goodness, I didn't mean to double post! Sorry!!
It's no problem; I can easily remove the extra post with no trouble.

I do agree with Folgrimeo, looking over the Russian covers, that they're some of the prettiest ones you can find -- possibly because they're typically drawn in a more realistic style, for the animals, which really seems to fit the covers well.
« Subject to editing »