News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Verdauga, 2024

Main Menu

Archery

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, May 08, 2014, 04:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonff the Mousethief

Has anyone here ever shot a bow or own one? I dont mean those crazy compound bows, I mean regular recurve or long. Kinda like in Redwall! :D

I own two bows (About to be 3). One is two small, the other is my size.
I am a fairly good archer. I go to camp every year, and they have a small place for archery. It is soooo fun there! Anyway, i was just wonderin' if anybody else has done this.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

The Mask

I've fired a Longbow a fare bit. I know the technique and I guess I'm pretty good but don't expect me to know any techniqual stuff.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Norham Waterpaw

Our Phys. Ed. Class had an entire unit on archery. It was fun. We used Recurves. I've managed to get a bullseye from 35 feet. It was loads of fun.  ;D
Hey you! What? Expecting a great quote or some heart-warming poem? Too bad, my signature is just boring. Stop reading it. Stop it. Why are you still reading it?

Rusvul

I have a fiberglass compound bow. Recurve was my preference, but hey, it was free. I'm not a very good shot... But I do occasionally enjoy archery.

Rainshadow

I took archery when I was nine, and I still have a fiberglass recurve bow, a quiver of arrows, and the correct gear (arm guard and the finger glove... thingy.  Never learned their actual names.), but none of them are the correct size.  The arrows were cut to the length of my arm, but my arm has grown since I was nine, so now I have to borrow my older brother's arrows (and other gear) if I want to try doing archery.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

MeadowR

I only tried Archery for the first time last year and I definitely got a taste of it - helped that I hit a good target. :D That was a kinda 'starters' archery though, so I haven't tried from a distance with a target board yet, but hopefully I will get a chance to try again.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

The Skarzs

I've never been able to use a longbow, unfortunately.
I do have a small compound bow and can use one of my dad's compound bows. (90 Pound drawback).
I've used recurve quite a bit.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rainshadow

It's weird: I have a friend who recently got a compound bow, and I'm used to the recurve where you pull the arrow all the way back to your cheek before firing, yet I can barely pull the string to my elbow with her compound  Not sure if she just has a really small bow, or if I have no idea how that specific type works.  As I'm not familiar with many different kind of bows, I'd like to ask this: when you draw a compound bowstring, is it supposed to go all the way back to your cheek, or does it not reach that far?
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

The Skarzs

It goes that far, yes.
It is harder to pull back at the beginning, but after about a foot of draw, it eases up and goes to your cheek.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rainshadow

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 10, 2014, 12:45:56 AM
It goes that far, yes.
It is harder to pull back at the beginning, but after about a foot of draw, it eases up and goes to your cheek.

Ah, then it must be that the bow is too small for me, because I was pulling pretty darn hard (even though it's been years since I've done archery, I still haven't lost the ability to draw a string.  ;)), and that's as far as it went.  I didn't dare try and pull it back further for fear that I'd damage it.

Leatho Shellhound

I've pulled back a compound bow before.....but the arrow flew in the wrong direction (to say the least)...I think I need to work at it a bit more.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Tam and Martin

Never really did much archery..... :-\

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

The Shade

I have a carbon fibre bow, about the most simple bow in the world. There's a bow, a string, and an arrow.  :P
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Cornflower MM

I'd like to learn, but with my rather poor eyesight, I don't think I'll ever ask for a bow and arrows.... :-\

BlueRose

I shot a bow a couple of times at a Renaissance Fair... I'm horrible aim, though. I prefer short-range weapons.
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Bitterly jittery, and not very glittery.