News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Books you should read.

Started by rachel25, May 23, 2014, 05:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

Wait... you read Twilight? I heard they were lame - no offense.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

......VAMPIRES ARE VICIOUS CREATURES THAT HUNT IN THE NIGHT AND PREY ON THE INNOCENT! Couldn't she just have created a new species?
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Rusvul

From what I've heard, it's badly written. My mom read them, she said that they were somewhat compelling stories, but that the writing kinda ruins it.

Romsca

I've heard it's a stupid book about a cheesy love triangle and an abusive relationship. Not going to say any more, other than I CANNOT STAND most romance books. If they're not inappropriate (though most of them are) they make me jealous and mad because I've been friends with plenty of boys but none of them have had the goshdarn courage to ask me out! >:( So yeah, I wonder why it seems to work out for everyone else but me. I'm sorry I'm just kind of venting my frustration about those kind of books. Plus they're just way too emotional :-X :-X :-X

I prefer books about philosophy/psychology/history

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

I don't like romance for the sake of romance, romance for the sake of character development or romance for the sake of plot are fine (unless it's in a romance novel because that just counts as romance for the sake of romance)

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on May 23, 2014, 07:33:18 PM
Going to go ahead and find my time tested list

Tied for my top favourite book series of all time are The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica and The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by James A. Owen and Michael Scott respectively
Chronicles
[close]
Secrets
[close]

Then of course we have Tolkien

After Tolkien comes Terry Pratchett with the Discworld series which are too numerous to post here so I won't

After Pratchett we have The Bartimaeus Trilogy and its prequel book, The Ring of Solomon by Jonathon Stroud
Bartimaeus
[close]

After that comes the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage
Heap
[close]

Then it's The Wardstone Chronicles by Joseph Delaney. I am ashamed to say I've only read up to The Spook's Battle
Wardstone
[close]

After that my pick is Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy
Pleasant? Not really
[close]
The final book will be called The Dying of the Light. Maleficent Seven and Armageddon Outta Here are not part of the main series but I highly recommend getting Maleficent Seven if you get the rest.

Next it's Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds
Revelation
[close]

My next choice is The Books of Beginning by John Stephens
Books
[close]
Unfinished, the final book will be called The Black Reckoning

Then I say the Inkworld trilogy by Cornelia Funke
Inkworld
[close]

Next, Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan, I have not yet read the second series but I plan to.
Olympians
[close]

Then I choose The Joshua Files by M. G. Harris
files
[close]

And finally Temeraire by Naomi Novik
Temeraire
[close]

I was wondering if anyone has read any of those books or if anyone is planning to read any of the books that have been suggested in this thread

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 26, 2014, 09:22:43 PM
Emotions are overrated.
Hear, hear!

My line: Logic can solve any problem in the world except girls.

Fantasy people: Read the original Dragonlance!
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Feles

Golden Compass
Subtle Knife
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

Jetthebinturong

The Skarzs

To answer your earlier question, Jet, I am planning on reading the Percy Jackson series.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Romsca

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on May 27, 2014, 08:45:12 PM
Quote from: The Skarzs on May 26, 2014, 09:22:43 PM
Emotions are overrated.
Hear, hear!

My line: Logic can solve any problem in the world except girls.

What do you mean by that?

321tumbler

My summer reading plan revolves around reading every Newberry Medal Award winning book with a few others mixed in. Would anyone else like to join the challenge.

Feles

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 27, 2014, 09:15:21 PM
To answer your earlier question, Jet, I am planning on reading the Percy Jackson series.
ahh, the Percy Jackson seris, not bad at all

also, The Ribbajack, another book by Brian Jacques
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

Romsca

The Percy Jackson series...

I tried to get into that, but I didn't feel like reading about annoying twelve-year-olds who go on an impossible journey with fake gods. I read the first two and just got bored :-\

*sigh* Sometimes I don't have enough of an imagination to appreciate such things, sorry

The Skarzs

Quote from: 321tumbler on May 28, 2014, 12:42:52 AM
My summer reading plan revolves around reading every Newberry Medal Award winning book with a few others mixed in. Would anyone else like to join the challenge.
o_.
An impressive and ambitious resolve.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.