News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Books you should read.

Started by rachel25, May 23, 2014, 05:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rachel25

Quote from: Romsca on May 30, 2014, 05:39:15 PM
Well, I can understand, because even though I'm a girl, after having three brothers I find 95% of other girls confusing. But the way guys act makes a heck of a lot more sense. Maybe I just act more like a guy ???
I know what you mean. I have four brothers, and I don't understand other girls at all.

Thanks Jett, and Rusvul, its nice to see some guys who are.......thoughtful shall I say. I can't think of any other word, but your right. People should be judged as people, not as boys or girls. If you do, then you end up being sexist.

Quote from: Cornflower MM on May 30, 2014, 08:45:04 PM
Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on May 30, 2014, 05:41:24 PM
In general, to girls, logic is inferior (as in in, more imperfect) to emotion.

At least as far as we can see.

Which is not very far.

We just know that we do not, never have, and never will understand the incomprehensibilities of the opposite gender.

Hey, guys act strange. Now, we girls understand logic! You guys just make things far too complicated! For Example:

MY DAD WALKS OVER TO MY MOTHER AND I: "You could plant those carrot seeds in a ,mound. (A row) At least, that's what I would do. But I'm leaving all this up to you so that when I'm gone ((Does he not understand that when he talks about when he's dead makes all extremely uncomfortable?)) You won't be completely helpless."
MY DAD WALKS AWAY.
MY MOTHER AND I LOOK AT EACH OTHER, SIGH, MUTTER TO OURSELVES< AND GO GET THE THREE PRONGED THINGY.

See? The carrots would have grown JUST FINE in the ground. WITHOUT us doing so much work. Now, I've spat out lots of twisted logic in my time, but that's mainly to make others laugh, and feel better....Never mind. I'm going to go make a topic so we can argue about this in the right place, and more logically.
My Dad does things like that..........

Cornflower MM

Oh, really? Nice to know there';s other dads like that around. Hmm.....You guys should read The Kane Chronicles. They're by Rick Riordan, the trilogy's finshed, and it has a lot about Egypt. Plus, it's a really cool trilogy.

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: rachel25 on June 01, 2014, 05:54:48 PM
Quote from: Romsca on May 30, 2014, 05:39:15 PM
Well, I can understand, because even though I'm a girl, after having three brothers I find 95% of other girls confusing. But the way guys act makes a heck of a lot more sense. Maybe I just act more like a guy ???
I know what you mean. I have four brothers, and I don't understand other girls at all.

Thanks Jett, and Rusvul, its nice to see some guys who are.......thoughtful shall I say. I can't think of any other word, but your right. People should be judged as people, not as boys or girls. If you do, then you end up being sexist.

Quote from: Cornflower MM on May 30, 2014, 08:45:04 PM
Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on May 30, 2014, 05:41:24 PM
In general, to girls, logic is inferior (as in in, more imperfect) to emotion.

At least as far as we can see.

Which is not very far.

We just know that we do not, never have, and never will understand the incomprehensibilities of the opposite gender.

Hey, guys act strange. Now, we girls understand logic! You guys just make things far too complicated! For Example:

MY DAD WALKS OVER TO MY MOTHER AND I: "You could plant those carrot seeds in a ,mound. (A row) At least, that's what I would do. But I'm leaving all this up to you so that when I'm gone ((Does he not understand that when he talks about when he's dead makes all extremely uncomfortable?)) You won't be completely helpless."
MY DAD WALKS AWAY.
MY MOTHER AND I LOOK AT EACH OTHER, SIGH, MUTTER TO OURSELVES< AND GO GET THE THREE PRONGED THINGY.

See? The carrots would have grown JUST FINE in the ground. WITHOUT us doing so much work. Now, I've spat out lots of twisted logic in my time, but that's mainly to make others laugh, and feel better....Never mind. I'm going to go make a topic so we can argue about this in the right place, and more logically.
My Dad does things like that..........

I fear the world has become too preoccupied with equality. It is rediculous to state that boys and girls think alike, because they don't, just as it is silly to say that boys should talk about their emotions as much as girls (because we can't).

Anyways, I'm stating generalities here, in that, as a rule, boys don't understand girls.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

rachel25

The last part is true, and I personally will never understand guys.  ::)
Has anyone read the Roman Mysteries? I actually have only read one or two of them, but their really good.

Rusvul

You're partially correct, Wylder, without a doubt. Males and females do honk differently. That's a fact. But what's also a fact- people of different generations , walks of life, and upbringings think differently as well. Gender is just a variable, one of quite a few. A large one, certainly, but one of multiple nonetheless.

And there will always be people who think (At least partially) in ways not exactly stereotyped to their gender. Myself, being raised by two mothers, am more communicative about my emotions than others might be. For better or worse, that's the way I am.

Romsca

I think we've gotten a little off-topic. Maybe we could move this conversation about gender somewhere else?

The Skarzs

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 30, 2014, 08:08:42 PM
Quote from: The Skarzs on May 24, 2014, 03:38:28 AM

Oooh, does anyone like G. K. Chesterton? Do you like steampunk? Do you like spinoffs? Well, feast your eyes on these:   

HA HARR!

These books are a lot of fun, mixed with suspense, mystery, humor, and mind-bending moments. I will not spoil anything, but you may recognize some characters and objects from other books and popular topics. . .
So. . . any takers?
Hello?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Shadowed One

Quote from: Cornflower MM on June 01, 2014, 10:49:30 PM
Oh, really? Nice to know there';s other dads like that around. Hmm.....You guys should read The Kane Chronicles. They're by Rick Riordan, the trilogy's finshed, and it has a lot about Egypt. Plus, it's a really cool trilogy.
I read those! They are very good. Definitely read Lord of the Rings, don't just watch the movies. The books are much, much better. Also, read the Silmarillian.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Romsca

Quote from: The Skarzs on June 03, 2014, 12:10:38 AM
Quote from: The Skarzs on May 30, 2014, 08:08:42 PM
Quote from: The Skarzs on May 24, 2014, 03:38:28 AM

Oooh, does anyone like G. K. Chesterton? Do you like steampunk? Do you like spinoffs? Well, feast your eyes on these:   

HA HARR!

These books are a lot of fun, mixed with suspense, mystery, humor, and mind-bending moments. I will not spoil anything, but you may recognize some characters and objects from other books and popular topics. . .
So. . . any takers?
Hello?

I'm sorry, I'm not a G.K. Chesterton fan

The Skarzs

It's not actually written by him; it's a spin-off of his younger life.

Whatever. I hadn't read any of his works before I read the first of that series, if that gives you any idea.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Mask

Quote from: rachel25 on June 02, 2014, 08:49:09 PM
Has anyone read the Roman Mysteries? I actually have only read one or two of them, but their really good.
Aye, I've read them all. In fact my best friend's grandmother lives next door to the author's mother so he gets lots of free stuff.
You guys should read The Kane Chronicles. They're by Rick Riordan, the trilogy's finshed, and it has a lot about Egypt. Plus, it's a really cool trilogy.
Again, read them all. The main trilogy IS finished but there are gonna be more stories about Sadie and Carter. There were some unfinished ideas. Not to mention that Riordan has said there will a cross-over between Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus and the Kane Chronicles. There was a short one, Son of Sobek but it was satisfyingly short
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Cornflower MM

Quote from: The Mask on June 03, 2014, 06:20:06 AM
Quote from: rachel25 on June 02, 2014, 08:49:09 PM
Aye, I've read them all. In fact my best friend's grandmother lives next door to the author's mother so he gets lots of free stuff.
You guys should read The Kane Chronicles. They're by Rick Riordan, the trilogy's finshed, and it has a lot about Egypt. Plus, it's a really cool trilogy.
Again, read them all. The main trilogy IS finished but there are gonna be more stories about Sadie and Carter. There were some unfinished ideas. Not to mention that Riordan has said there will a cross-over between Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus and the Kane Chronicles. There was a short one, Son of Sobek but it was satisfyingly short

REally? And what do you mean by "satisfyingly short"?

Quote from: Shadowed One on June 03, 2014, 01:09:10 AM
I read those! They are very good. Definitely read Lord of the Rings, don't just watch the movies. The books are much, much better. Also, read the Silmarillian.

I tried to read the Silmarillian, but I ended up falling asleep reading it.

Romsca

I tried reading that once... after the first half of the first paragraph I was like, nope! Not reading this. It looks just a little too dry. But big LoTR fans would probably still really, really enjoy reading it.

Should I start a new topic about the previous conversation? Or have we already finished talking about that?

rachel25

Quote from: Romsca on June 03, 2014, 06:51:36 PM
I tried reading that once... after the first half of the first paragraph I was like, nope! Not reading this. It looks just a little too dry. But big LoTR fans would probably still really, really enjoy reading it.

Should I start a new topic about the previous conversation? Or have we already finished talking about that?
Um, probably not. It could just turn nasty. But if you want to, go ahead.

Has anyone read the Narnia books? I much prefer the films, but the books are good.

Leatho Shellhound

The Narnian books are super! My sister is like, the biggest narnian fan ever.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner