News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Books you should read.

Started by rachel25, May 23, 2014, 05:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

321tumbler

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 28, 2014, 02:18:13 AM
Quote from: 321tumbler on May 28, 2014, 12:42:52 AM
My summer reading plan revolves around reading every Newberry Medal Award winning book with a few others mixed in. Would anyone else like to join the challenge.
o_.
An impressive and ambitious resolve.
There are 92 books. One a year since 1922. However, there are the Newberr Honor books which are the nominees that didn't win. I'm only reading the 92. I hope I make it.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: rachel25 on May 28, 2014, 08:41:11 PM
Quote from: Cornflower MM on May 26, 2014, 05:23:06 PM
@JEt: I was going to suggest The Bartimaeus Trilogy, too! And Percy Jackson....And The Inkworl Trilogy..We read a lot of the sma ebooks! Oh, here's something that you guys should read:
Not gonna tell you what it is - You're going to have to look! >:D
TWILIGHT SERIES!!!! They're by Stephe/anie Meyer. Here's some pictures of the covers:
Here's the first one, called Twilight.
The second one, called New Moon:
The third, called Eclipse:
?And, the final one, Breaking Dawn: They've got movies, too! Now, while the movies don't follow the storyline at that well, it's followed pretty good.
[close]
*looks horror stricken* No! Please no! Please say you don't like those badly written, cliché books! *breaks down sobbing* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not to mention that there's some inappropriate stuff in the books, and the movies. Of course, I haven't seen them, but I've read the backs of a few of the movies and saw what they're rated PG-13 for.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Romsca

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on May 29, 2014, 02:54:47 AM
I believe what he means is that romantic attraction cannot be dealt with in a logical way

That makes a bit more sense

Cornflower MM

*Looks crestfallen* I suppose there's no use in trying to defend the Twilight series? They're one of my favourites......*Breaks down crying* Why do none of you like it?
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on May 29, 2014, 06:17:18 PM
Quote from: rachel25 on May 28, 2014, 08:41:11 PM
Quote from: Cornflower MM on May 26, 2014, 05:23:06 PM
@JEt: I was going to suggest The Bartimaeus Trilogy, too! And Percy Jackson....And The Inkworl Trilogy..We read a lot of the sma ebooks! Oh, here's something that you guys should read:
Not gonna tell you what it is - You're going to have to look! >:D
TWILIGHT SERIES!!!! They're by Stephe/anie Meyer. Here's some pictures of the covers:
Here's the first one, called Twilight.
The second one, called New Moon:
The third, called Eclipse:
?And, the final one, Breaking Dawn: They've got movies, too! Now, while the movies don't follow the storyline at that well, it's followed pretty good.
[close]
*looks horror stricken* No! Please no! Please say you don't like those badly written, cliché books! *breaks down sobbing* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not to mention that there's some inappropriate stuff in the books, and the movies. Of course, I haven't seen them, but I've read the backs of a few of the movies and saw what they're rated PG-13 for.
If you skip over those parts, and fast-forward in the movie (Which actually isn'; that bad....The producers took care to reveal any....revealing)  Not you too, Rachy? WHY DOES NO ONE ELSE LIKE TWILLIGHT?!?!?!?!?!? *Leaves topic, and comes back twenty minutes later, with clean face* Percy Jackson's good. Also another one of my favourite series - My mom got me the boxed set for Christmas! Hmm....Unless you're racist, The Other Half Of My Heart is good! Forgot who wrote it. :P

Wylder Treejumper

I believe what he means is that romantic attraction cannot be dealt with in a logical way
Not neccesarily. It's just that, those of the female persuasion tend to be in general incomprehensible to those of us males, who see logic as the solution to everything (except girls).
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

rachel25

Sorry, Corny. Actually, those films, and books are banned in my house, and I'm not complaining. And it's not because of the inappropriate bits, I've seen fifteens, and other films much worse.  ::)
My brother has listened to all the Percy Jackson books on audio, and he's says their good.

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on May 30, 2014, 05:12:14 PM
Not necessarily. It's just that, those of the female persuasion tend to be in general incomprehensible to those of us males, who see logic as the solution to everything (except girls).
*raises eyebrow* Oh, yeah. Are we going on the multitude, or individuals? How many girls do you actually know well? And what girls, in what country? It all depends.

Romsca

Well, I can understand, because even though I'm a girl, after having three brothers I find 95% of other girls confusing. But the way guys act makes a heck of a lot more sense. Maybe I just act more like a guy ???

Wylder Treejumper

In general, to girls, logic is inferior (as in in, more imperfect) to emotion.

At least as far as we can see.

Which is not very far.

We just know that we do not, never have, and never will understand the incomprehensibilities of the opposite gender.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

Wylder, I don't have a clue where you're coming from, the girls I know are all individuals as should be expected, if anything more of them are logical than emotional and most of the guys I know are more driven by emotion (myself excluded unless it's anger)
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 24, 2014, 03:38:28 AM

Oooh, does anyone like G. K. Chesterton? Do you like steampunk? Do you like spinoffs? Well, feast your eyes on these:   

HA HARR!

These books are a lot of fun, mixed with suspense, mystery, humor, and mind-bending moments. I will not spoil anything, but you may recognize some characters and objects from other books and popular topics. . .
So. . . any takers?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on May 30, 2014, 05:41:24 PM

At least as far as we can see.

Which is not very far.

We just know that we do not, never have, and never will understand the incomprehensibilities of the opposite gender.

Hey, guys act strange. Now, we girls understand logic! You guys just make things far too complicated! For Example:

MY DAD WALKS OVER TO MY MOTHER AND I: "You could plant those carrot seeds in a ,mound. (A row) At least, that's what I would do. But I'm leavoing all this up to you so that when I'm gone ((Does he not understand that when he talks about when he's dead makes all extremely uncomfortable?)) You won't be completely helpless."
MY DAD WALKS AWAY.
MY MOTHER AND I LOOK AT EACH OTHER, SIGH, MUTTER TO OURSELVES< AND GO GET THE THREE PRONGED THINGY.

See? The carrots would have grown JUST FINE in the ground. WITHOUT us doing so much work. Now, I've spat out lots of twisted logic in my time, but that's mainly to make others laugh, and feel better....Never mind. I'm going to go make a topic so we can argue about this in the right place, and more logically.

Quote from: rachel25 on May 30, 2014, 05:14:21 PM
Sorry, Corny. Actually, those films, and books are banned in my house, and I'm not complaining. And it's not because of the inappropriate bits, I've seen fifteens, and other films much worse.  ::)
My brother has listened to all the Percy Jackson books on audio, and he's says their good.

I've never heard the audios (Mainly because I have BAD luck with things that will play tapes or CDs. They don't like me, and so break down when I use them....And it's not because I beat them, or anything, either.) but I DO have the two movies. They're good, if they don't stick to the storyline as much as I'd wish. And, as stated before, it's one of my favorite series!

Rusvul

Wylder, what kind of incomprehensibilities do you mean? Some others don't think the same way I do- I don't find that incomprehensible. Regardless of gender, humans are still humans, and we're more similar then you might think. Humanity > Gender.

Romsca

Where the fudge did you hear that?

Anyway, back on topic. I really liked the Nick of Time series by Ted Bell. The protaganists are quite Mary Sue-ish, but I really enjoyed the plot and the time travel... and the action. It's one of the few books I've read where the fighting isn't dry and cliché

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Romsca on May 31, 2014, 04:42:17 AM

Where the fudge did you hear that?

Anyway, back on topic. I really liked the Nick of Time series by Ted Bell. The protaganists are quite Mary Sue-ish, but I really enjoyed the plot and the time travel... and the action. It's one of the few books I've read where the fighting isn't dry and cliché

I saw that in the library, maybe I'll pick it up some time.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner