News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Christmas as a Religious Celebration.

Started by The Mask, June 12, 2014, 08:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can anyone celebrate Christmas?

Yes! Only Christians should be allowed to celebrate Christmas
0 (0%)
No! Anyone can celebrate Christmas
15 (88.2%)
Kinda! Anyone can celebrate it but only Christians can call it Christians
2 (11.8%)
No! Only _________ can celebrate Christmas
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

The Mask

I know quite a number of you are Christian, or branches of it. So I wanted to ask you about the religious aspect of Christmas.  In particular whether non-christian can celebrate it. This first came into my mind when I was told in history that I couldn't celebrate Christmas because I'm not Christian. This didn't bother me much as he is very opinionated without knowing much. So anyway, vote and discuss!
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Rusvul

Christmas has two main aspects, no? The sort of 'most wonderful time of the year,' where there's presents and things, and lots of happiness and such. I absolutely celebrate that- Giving and receiving presents is great. Despite the fact that the whole practice is rooted in religion and I'm athiest, I think that sort of Christmas celebration is something that anyone who wants to should participate in, religious or not.

And then there's the 'birth of Christ' bit of it, which is, of course, the reason that Christmas exists. Again, I suppose, participate if you like, but I don't think it's necessary to be religious to enjoy Christmas.

Saying you must be Christian to enjoy Christmas is like saying that you need a console/handheld to be a gamer. Sure, you used to, but you don't anymore, and there's no reason to stick to that.

Faiyloe

I am a Christian and I think that any one should be able to celebrate Christmas religiously or not (Though religiously is preferred).  Though I do feel sorry for though's who don't truly understand the really reason for Christmas. Personally I think they are missing out on something wonderful and amazing. And no it is not just because I am religious but because I have experienced it and lived it and if you take the religion out of Christmas it losses something.

No offence to anyone of course.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

The Mask

@Fairyloe, I know what you mean. Some festivals my family celebrate are quite fun but they are even more fun because I can relate to the stories and history of it. But I still don't think that only people of my religion can celebrate it.   
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

Faiyloe

Just wondering but what exactly is your religion if you don't mind?
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

The Mask

Ah well, I knew that would pop up at some point. Well I am a Hindu and I do know the stories and follow the festivals, but I also believe in evolution and science-y stuff. If that makes any sense.

W0NWILL

I am an atheist from a fairly large Christian family in a fairly religious-conservative area. I've grown up Christian and celebrating Christmas as a religious holiday. I really can't imagine doing much else than going to church on Xmas eve.

That being said, though my entire family is religious, I think that Christmas is not strictly a religious holiday. I think the best part about it is the family togetherness and gift-giving.

Jukka the Sling

I'm Christian, but I don't celebrate Christmas. In its origins it has as much to do with Christ's birth as Halloween. Just look up the origins of Christmas and you'll see it's really an amalgamation of ancient pre-Christian festivals.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Mask

Quote from: W0NWILL on June 14, 2014, 03:46:54 PM
I think the best part about it is the family togetherness and gift-giving.

Exactly! At some point it was a religious celebration but now I think it's more about family,love and presents.

Rainshadow

If I remember correctly, Christians only made Christmas a holiday to combat the winter solstice celebrations, which were (I believe) rather dark and evil (although I'm not 100 percent sure I have all my facts straight).  They made a Christian holiday because of that.  So, really, the day holds no religious significance other than that a random day was selected for a celebration.

I still celebrate Christmas as the birth of the Messiah, but I can understand that some may not want to recognize that, and it's totally fine if they just set that day aside for gathering the family together, having a great meal, opening presents, etc.  So, in my eyes, it doesn't matter who celebrates it.  The day may just have a different meaning in others' minds than in my own, and that's alright.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Rusvul

I've heard quite a similar thing- A somewhat arbitrary date made into a holiday to coincide with the Solstice. I believe the idea was that it would help convert pagans who celebrated the winter solstice- However, I could be wrong and you could be right.

I do think you're mistaken about the 'evil' celebrations. From what I've seen, it's candles and leaves, but that might just be a toned down to be more modern. Don't really know :P

The Skarzs

This feast is really both religious and secular. The name quite literally means "Christ Mass", and is the commemoration of the birth of Christ. The date is not completely accurate, but is probably within 7-10 days of the actual event; this commemoration makes it religious. At the same time, the term "Christmas" in the secular world is always referring to trees, presents, and joy. The joy and presents are in origin a reminder of the gift God gave us: Christ. (The traditional Christmas tree and wreath are- I believe- German in origin)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rainshadow

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on June 15, 2014, 01:15:13 AM
I do think you're mistaken about the 'evil' celebrations. From what I've seen, it's candles and leaves, but that might just be a toned down to be more modern. Don't really know :P

I could be totally wrong about that part.  I'm just repeating what I've heard from other people, and I doubt that all of what I hear is true.  ;)
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

The Mask

Yes, the tree and wreath are German. Also a lot of them celebrate Christmas because of Father Christmas, Saint Nikolaus as they call him.

Rusvul

Quote from: Rainshadow on June 15, 2014, 03:57:24 AM
Quote from: rusvulthesaber on June 15, 2014, 01:15:13 AM

I could be totally wrong about that part.  I'm just repeating what I've heard from other people, and I doubt that all of what I hear is true.  ;)
Errr... Yeeaaaahh... Same thing.