News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Since Today is the 4th of July...

Started by SandyB, July 04, 2014, 08:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on July 05, 2014, 09:08:52 PM
Quote from: Jetthebinturong on July 05, 2014, 02:13:16 PM
Do not tell me the Conquistadors are good people, DO NOT
There there, Jet, calm down. Take a deep breath. Before you chide Skarzs on the perceived evils of the Conquistadors, don't forget that they were doing what "they felt to be right for them." Remember, if there's no God, there's no right or wrong, only opinion. So who are you to say whether they were bad or not?

Being an atheist does not mean not believing in right and wrong, we do have a concept of morality it just doesn't come from a book.

Killing without reason is wrong
Converting people's religions is wrong
Child abuse is wrong
Rape is wrong
Racism is wrong
Homophobia is wrong
Paedophilia is wrong
Stealing is wrong
Being unfaithful in a committed relationship is wrong
Slavery is wrong
Bullying is wrong

Do not presume that atheists have no morality
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jukka the Sling

So where do you get your concept of morality?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

Human nature, common sense and basic decency

Jukka the Sling

What if human nature, common sense, and basic decency permit another person to draw up a code of morality that conflicts with yours?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

Then they and I have a different outlook on life

Cornflower MM

Easy, you two! There's no need for this squabble/debate/whatever......(Why am I, the one with a temper, always breaking up squabbles/debates/whatever you want to name them? It doesn't make sense....)

Jetthebinturong

Why does everyone always say 'easy' when I'm perfectly calm?

Cornflower MM

Honestly? I don't know....I have the same problem. I guess it's because....I dunno.

The Skarzs

I could tell you soooo much about your conceptual errors, but I know you won't try to heed what I say or accept any of it.

I bid this topic farewell.
Do not try to attempt to communicate with me on this topic any more.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on July 05, 2014, 10:17:58 PM
Based on what you just said, you are in no position to say whether the Conquistadors were good or bad, no matter what they did. After all, they just had a different outlook than YOU do.

Leatho Shellhound

Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Rusvul

The thing about the Aztecs, they believed that human sacrifice was necessary for the sun to rise each day and for the world to not end. Greed and religion would seem to be the biggest causes of bloodshed, another example of this would be the Crusades. Err, except that was really greed and bloodlust thinly disguised under the guise of righteous, religious combat. Er, sorry, tangent.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on July 06, 2014, 03:34:01 AM
Based on what you just said, you are in no position to say whether the Conquistadors were good or bad, no matter what they did. After all, they just had a different outlook than YOU do.
According to my moral code, the Conquistadors were terrible people and if anyone's moral code allowed them to defend the Conquistadors then I'd wonder how on Earth they came up with such a skewed moral code

I agree Rus, also, what about the Spanish Inquisition and the Al Qaeda 

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on July 06, 2014, 11:00:44 AM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on July 06, 2014, 03:34:01 AM
According to my moral code, the Conquistadors were terrible people and if anyone's moral code allowed them to defend the Conquistadors then I'd wonder how on Earth they came up with such a skewed moral code
Again, according to what you said earlier, the Conquistadors just had a "different outlook" than you do. So did the Aztecs. Yet you have the audacity to say they were evil? That's completely inconsistent with your worldview, because according to the logical conclusions of atheism and its poisonous fruit, moral relativism, everything's relative and there's no objective standard to judge anyone's actions by. Your declarations on their behavior is merely how YOU feel about it. Your opinion is not based on any transcendent moral code. Ergo, it carries no weight.

Cornflower MM

*Starts screaming* *Stops screaming* Okay, CAN YOU TWO PLEASE STOP SQUABBLING?!?!?! YOU'RE RUINING MY PERFECT DAY HERE!!!!!

There. That feels much better/. *Stalks out of topic, slapping hands together as I go*