News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Twilight, anyone?

Started by Cornflower MM, July 12, 2014, 10:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainshadow

Quote from: Cornflower MM on July 16, 2014, 12:04:02 AM
Well, Ms. Meyer decided that they'd sparkle. So, they sparkle. And look beautiful.

Quote from: Rainshadow on July 16, 2014, 12:01:52 AM
Quote from: rusvulthesaber on July 15, 2014, 11:48:54 PM
...Aren't vampires supposed to burn in daylight, not sparkle...?

In Skyrim, a vampire's blood boils in the sunlight, making them lose their stamina and not regenerate health quickly (if at all).  In Supernatural, the light just hurts their eyes...

Quote from: Cornflower MM on July 15, 2014, 11:33:43 PM
Quote from: Rainshadow on July 15, 2014, 09:17:33 PM
Quote from: Cornflower MM on July 15, 2014, 08:53:31 PM
You should read the books, then, Rain. Just to give it a shot. Pleeeeaaaase? I want someone to obsess over the series with....

Lol, I'm pretty sure I'd get disgusted looks from the rest of my family if I chose to read them.  (My family despises the series.  I'm more of the "meh" opinion.)

Aww, come on! Please? Just the first one!

But... romance...  And why is it in Washington?  I mean, sure, it's cloudy there a lot, but it doesn't rain THAT often.  And in Eastern Washington, it's actually quite dry and warm.

What's wrong with romance? C'mon, it's not THAT bad, I promise!

And, the Olympic Peninsula (As I've pointed out before) Is supposed to be the rainiest place i the world. As they sparkle in sunlight, they decided to move there again.

I'm sorry, but as someone who lives in Washington state, I find it hard to believe that.  It's been clear skies and 90 degrees outside for the past several weeks, and I haven't seen rain since April or May.  I probably won't see any rain until September.  We don't get THAT much rain here.

But that's just my area.  It's probably rainier somewhere else in Washington.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

BlueRose

They sparkle. It's freaky, not beautiful. The only movie thing I have ever seen in a movie that looks beautiful when it sparkles is natural water. Really. I swear.

And Ms. Meyer could never even think about holding a candle to Brian Jacques or J. K. Rowling. (Well, she could, but she'd be wrong.)
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Bitterly jittery, and not very glittery.

Rusvul

I hope she doesn't burn anyone...

BlueRose

*laughs too hard at that*

Nah, she's more likely to burn herself than anyone else. (Unless they are worse than her....)
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Rusvul

According to a few people I know who read the books, they're somewhat compelling stories, but badly written.

BlueRose

Badly written is what gets me. Also, the relationships are immature and unwise. As well as the sparkling. Vampires who sparkle are pansies. Just sayin'.

Cornflower MM

Ay yi yi.....First: I think the sparkling is cool, and pretty. And original. That's me. Can we not argue? I don't think I want this topic locked. Two: Badkly written squat! But that's me. Three: Romance is romance, plus some bad relationships are pretty good in books. BOOKS, mind you. But I honestly don't think the Twilight romances are bad. Four: No, Ms. Meyer couldn't hold a candle to Brian. J. K. Rowling....Not so much. Ms. Rowling started following a formula, if you ask me: They go to school, somdthing happens, Harry fixes it (With help from Hermione and Ron), they go home, then they go back to school, etc. Five: Really, Rain? Someone else in the nineties? WHOOP WHOOP! But, I'm just going by what the books said, and another source. The other source is something I've forgotten.....

BlueRose

Ok, I was chill with everything until you pulled a knife on Rowling. Sure, she's got something of a set formula, but the writing is fabulous, and the story was original until everyone else realized that Rowling had a good idea.

Rusvul

....I would argue that most long book series end up being somewhat formulaic. Redwall and Harry Potter both show this, many others do as well.

BlueRose

True. But good writing overshadows the formulaic aspects of the stories.

Jetthebinturong

Don't hate me but I think Harry Potter is average writing at best. It doesn't even come in my top 12

Twilight.... ugh. Vampires are supposed to burn in the sunlight and they're supposed to be vicious killers not broody teenagers, especially the 100+ year olds
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Gonff the Mousethief

My mom has watched all the movies, and so have I. They were boring, to drawn out, and EVERYone was SOOO pale! I mean every on at the school, other non vampire people, Pale! They were just not my thing. My cousins LOVE the book . I just don't see why! Oh, and here us my take on Harry Potter. I read the first 5 books and watched all the movies. Yes it has a theme through out every book, but every book has something to do with the end of the series, like leading up to it. Ya know what I mean?
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

BlueRose

Oh, come on. Harry Potter is bloody brilliant. There is CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, a literary device which has fallen quite by the wayside to make way for stupid romances.

Jetthebinturong

I rate books and series like this

Terrible
Bad
Average
Good
Brilliant

I divide it into categories for different aspects, here is my rating for harry potter

Plot: Average
Characters: Good
Writing: Bad

I then do this with a scale of Nonexistant, Negligible, Average, Lots, Far too much

Needless Romance: Negligible :)
Needless action: Nonexistant ;D

Overall it is either average or slightly above it
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

BlueRose

I think you are insane, and do not feel bad about saying so.