News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Twilight, anyone?

Started by Cornflower MM, July 12, 2014, 10:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

Ugh, I HATE that! Just because a FEW people say that it's badly written, everyone else uses it as an excuse to bash the books! It makes me so MAD! READ THE DANG THANGS, THEN JUDGE IF THEY'RE BADLY WRITTEN OR NOT! DON'T JUST TAKE SOMEONE ELSE'S OPINION AND MAKE IT YOUR OWN! *Screams in frustration* If you don't like the fact that the vampires sparkle, I can deal with that. Barely. But please don't make assumptions! *Realizes that I've been muttering the words as I type with a very Southern accent* Whoops. And my apologies for the rant, it just seriously cheeses me off!

And, Jet, if you won't touch them with a ten-foot pole, how come you don't like them? Because a lot of people don't and needlessly fandom-bash?

Jetthebinturong

No, because the vampires sparkle and because I've read enough about Bella and Edward's relationship to know it's abusive and creepy.

To quote myself quoting a Youtuber

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on December 09, 2014, 06:13:29 PM
I hate Twilight because it's poorly written, the vampires sparkle and Edward and Bella's relationship is incredibly creepy

In the words of a random commenter on Youtube:
"He breaks into her house to watch her sleep ... He forces her to do everything he says and at one point leaves her just because he's paranoid he might kill her and drink her blood and she's so obsessed with him that she mopes around in her bedroom for months after he leaves her and at one point she even deliberately jumps off a cliff just so she can see a hallucination of him talking to her. The whole Cullen family threaten to drag her to a birthday party they throw for her if she doesn't come of her own free will. He rips the engine out of her truck so she can't go anywhere he doesn't want her to. And when she gets pregnant with their baby he tries to force her to abort it and calls it an evil abomination. And the author and Twilight's crazy fans actually see this as "true love." It's insane. 

70% is not a few and while that is not a pretty accurate statistic, the majority hate it.

You want a real vampire/human romance look at Simon and Izzy in the Mortal Instruments then again, Simon's whole thing was that he was still more human than vampire.

Meh, best interspecies relationship I've read is Magnus Bane (warlock)/Alec Lightwood (Shadowhunter (nephilim) (which is basically human)) from The Mortal Instruments. They're very cute together but dang do they need to talk about their problems.
Alec, you should forget about Jace, he's clearly straight and you clearly love Magnus.
Alec, because it's due to fear, you should continue hiding your relationship from your parents but you should be kinder to your boyfriend about it.
Magnus, hiding your past won't help anything, why are you doing it?
Alec, going behind Magnus' back to find out his past WILL help but you should probably be more discreet about it and you DEFINITELY should not trust Camille.

Of course, I'm just rambling now, I already know how their story ends
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Hickory

Anyone notice in the movie the ONE asian kid?
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

rachel25

Interspieces relationships never work and there just wrong!

Jetthebinturong

That is your opinion, personally why favourite fictional romances are interspecies

I don't really see any problem with vampires and werewolves having relationships with humans is because they started out as humans. This also applies to Magnus and Alec because both of their species are descended from humanity and on some level still are humans themselves.

Why, pray tell, do you hold that opinion? Is it because two different species can't reproduce? Because God/a god (I'm not sure I remember what your faith is, so sorry if that offends you) intended the different species to be with other members of said species?

rachel25

I'm Messianic Jett and sorry if I offended you I didn't mean to. I don't want to get into an agrument so I won't say why I have that opinion.

Jetthebinturong

By Illuvatar, did I really put "why" instead of "my" in my previous post?

In any case no, you didn't offend me so sorry if I came off like you did, I was merely curious as to your reasoning

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on December 19, 2014, 11:16:18 PM
No, because the vampires sparkle and because I've read enough about Bella and Edward's relationship to know it's abusive and creepy.

To quote myself quoting a Youtuber

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on December 09, 2014, 06:13:29 PM
I hate Twilight because it's poorly written, the vampires sparkle and Edward and Bella's relationship is incredibly creepy

In the words of a random commenter on Youtube:
"He breaks into her house to watch her sleep ... He forces her to do everything he says and at one point leaves her just because he's paranoid he might kill her and drink her blood and she's so obsessed with him that she mopes around in her bedroom for months after he leaves her and at one point she even deliberately jumps off a cliff just so she can see a hallucination of him talking to her. The whole Cullen family threaten to drag her to a birthday party they throw for her if she doesn't come of her own free will. He rips the engine out of her truck so she can't go anywhere he doesn't want her to. And when she gets pregnant with their baby he tries to force her to abort it and calls it an evil abomination. And the author and Twilight's crazy fans actually see this as "true love." It's insane. 

70% is not a few and while that is not a pretty accurate statistic, the majority hate it.

You want a real vampire/human romance look at Simon and Izzy in the Mortal Instruments then again, Simon's whole thing was that he was still more human than vampire.

Of course, I'm just rambling now, I already know how their story ends

Rambling aside. . . Now, I wonder how many of the 70% are like you in the fact that they take other people's opinions of the books? Why go with the majority? Why not go with the minority for once and take your own opinion? The world is full of people who will not like a book because, say, 70% percent of the world's population don't like. If it's that bad, I personally would read just for laughs and to see what's so bad about the thang!

Jetthebinturong

That idea does have merit sure, the majority of the world loves Harry Potter and the Hunger Games, I think they're average stories with sub-par writing. Twilight just isn't my thing, I'm not into romance as a genre unless it's fanfiction. I mean sure, I like to have a healthy amount of romance within a story, but I don't want it to be the main focus. Even if I did, I wouldn't go for Twilight because a creepy vampire who watches women while they sleep and rips the engines out of their cars does not sound appealing. Nor does a girl who mopes around and jumps off a cliff to see a hallucination of her ex-boyfriend.

Cornflower MM

Okay, good point. Especially about Harry Potter, which I was forced to read. But now that we've got past that, is it really necessary to fandom bash? How would you like it if I bashed Percy Jackson? (Not that I ever would, but that's an example.) But if you get past the sparkling vampires, the engine ripping out, and the cliff diving (Which I also think was rather stupid, but Ms. Meyer didn't ask for my opinion, did she? No.), and so on and so forth, I think it's a nice story. (See the keyword there? Story. Not book, story.)

Jetthebinturong

Meh, the story and book seem inseparable, a much more realistic look at the problems with a human/vampire relationship would be Simon and Izzy from the Mortal Instruments, most of the romances in that series are great though.

I think I come off too harshly, I'm just as likely to pick up Twilight as I am to pick up Lola and the Boy Next Door, that is to say not at all because, once again, romance as a genre isn't my thing.

Also, I'm not bashing the Twilight fandom, I'm bashing the books/films themselves, the fandom is the group of people who are fans of the books

The Mask

I kinda agree with Jett. I tried reading it once but all the angst and kissing got annoying. But I've got nothing against people who do like it. I guess it's just  what you like.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Tiria Wildlough

I think you guys should be a little nicer to Cornflower, instead of bashing a series she likes to her face. Personally, I try not to have an opinion about Twilight. Sure, it's not my thing and I don't like what I hear about it, but if someone likes it, I won't judge them.
Seriously though, people seem to blow up with indignation at the very mention of Twilight. Calm down, it's just a fictional story.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Maudie

Oh man, Tiria. Agreed. Definitely! I know how it feels to be part of a frequently bashed fandom. (Ok, not really, but I can imagine.)
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Mask on December 26, 2014, 12:39:50 AM
Oh man, Tiria. Agreed. Definitely! I know how it feels to be part of a frequently bashed fandom. (Ok, not really, but I can imagine.)
Thankyou! #sensiblepeopleontheinternet
;)

EDIT: NU! I lost the Game! MASK!
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.