News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Morgazath's Bar and Grill

Started by Morgazath, July 16, 2014, 02:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

Rusvul

'Snk' as an onomatopoeic snigger.

Cornflower MM

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

BlueRose

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on July 17, 2014, 06:42:47 PM
'Snk' as an onomatopoeic snigger.

I know. I was just trying to be annoying, seeing as I'm alone in an empty house that couldn't echo if it tried and I'll probably be here for several more hours. (I'm ok with houses that echo, but the ones that are silent as the grave annoy me.)
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Bitterly jittery, and not very glittery.

Cornflower MM

Rusvul

I of all people certainly don't have the right to criticize obscure references. I'm the guy who spouts random nonsense about d20s and multiclassing.

And yes. I'm home alone around 50% of my time, it's not the most pleasant of things. Especially with an integrated GPU, ugh.

Yeah, I'm the guy that constantly complains about integrated GPU. And rightly so. IT'S SO STUPID!

Cornflower MM

Integrated computer....? Whaaaat? Rus, speak English. And not Techie English, either.

BlueRose

Yeah, Rus. English. Please. (50%? Wiiimp. 70% here.)
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Rusvul

GPU- Graphical Processing Unit. Used to make your computer actually show you stuff. In terms of gaming, GPU is basically everything. If you have a good GPU, you can run games. If you have a bad GPU, you can't. CPU and RAM are also relevant, but the GPU is generally around half the price of the computer. CPU is a Central Processing Unit, by the way.

Integrated GPU- A very small GPU soldered directly onto the computer's motherboard. Generally used in laptops, these cannot be upgraded, removed, or replaced. They're also really bad and generally horrible for gaming. My computer (ASUS K55A) uses an Intel Integrated GPU (Intel HD 4000) and it is NOT satisfactory.

Advice to anyone who is a gamer and is buying a computer- Know what you're doing if you get an integrated GPU. If you like playing high-end games and not lagging at the less demanding ones, an integrated GPU is most likely NOT going to be satisfactory. If it is AT ALL an option, get a discrete GPU- They function more like desktop GPU, are less horrible, and you can sometimes replace them. Sometimes.

And if you don't need a laptop, don't even bother. Heck, if you don't need a laptop, I recommend assembling a computer yourself. Cheaper, and you don't have to get a whole new machine when one bit breaks.

Err... Might be needless to say, but I have an integrated GPU. REALLY bad. Minecraft medium settings 30-60 FPS. CIV 5 and Kerbal Space Program run 20-30. I'd imagine Starcraft 2 would be 10-20, maybe 20-30, WoW would probably do worse.

Cornflower MM

I'm still confused. Actually, NOW I'M EVEN MORE CONFUSED!!!!

BlueRose

I'm going to go play cards now.... (brain=fried)

Rusvul

What's confusing you? I thought I explained that rather clearly. Any specific questions?

BlueRose

You sounded just like my brother. I think that your explanation would suffice if I knew anything about technology, which I don't. Really. I'm a stupid female who thinks the highest form of enjoyment is a good book. (Games are fun, but books are much better.)

Rusvul

That's not stupidity. Not in the slightest. To each their own, I love gaming, but reading is good too, and if you prefer that? Go right ahead. I will not stop you. :)

Oh, and being 'a stupid female' is irrelevant. Could that be 'stupid' or 'stupid noun/pronoun of your choice' rather than 'stupid female,' please?  ;)

Right. Okay. Let's see about a different angle... And no, I don't care if you actually don't care about any of this. If you don't, just ignore me.

GPU- Graphical Processing Unit. A computer's GPU, or video/graphics card, is what lets the computer show any kind of visual on the screen. In a gaming context, a good graphics card is what lets you play higher end games. Other things are a factor, but for simplicity's sake I'll just ignore them for the time being.

In a desktop computer, GPU is different (And more effective) than in most laptops.

Integrated GPU- An integrated GPU has the same effect as an other video card, but rather than being a component attached to the inside of a case that can be easily replaced, like in most desktops, it's attached directly to the computer's motherboard, a critical component that cannot be modified or replaced in most circumstances. Basically, if you have an intgegrated GPU, you're stuck with it and you cannot upgrade unless you buy a new computer.

Integrated graphics cards are also less powerful- Really bad for gaming, though they're alright for most work and such. And they're most common in laptops, in fact, most laptops use them. I use a laptop, it has an integrated GPU, it doesn't run games very well, I complain about it.

Hopefully that's a little more clear. Sorry about confusion!