News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Seeing Auras

Started by Unimaginative, August 07, 2014, 06:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwen A. Mouse

Quote from: Izeroth on September 28, 2014, 01:34:24 AM
A lot of people say auras are hallucinations caused by migraines or other brain problems.
In no way am I intending offense here, but just because some people see and hear things that the majority don't, does that really make it wrong or imagined? I mean, look what happened with Joan of Arc- she had divine visions, and was eventually executed for being a witch because the priests didn't think that it was possible for God to talk to her and not them.

In a sense, it often feels the same with spiritual things nowadays. The people who are more open to the universe seem to be the ones most shunned. Because the majority don't see this stuff, so the minority must simply be crazy. Did the majority ever stop to wonder if they had it backwards- if they're just too short-sighted to notice what's in front of them?

I'm sorry if this came off as offensive- that was not my intention at all.

Quote from: PluggFiretail on September 28, 2014, 01:24:59 AM
Just a guess here, but if it exists, I'd say it was life energy. That would explain why it could change colors based on your health/emotions.
Kind of like if the soul spilled over to the outside of one's body? (Which makes sense... who ever said the soul came in a tidy little package, like a picture colored completely inside the lines?)
"You need to get yourself a better dictionary. When you do, look up genocide. You'll see a little picture of me there and the caption'll read 'over my dead body'!" -The Doctor

Izeroth

Quote from: Gwen A. Mouse on September 28, 2014, 07:19:27 AM
A lot of people say auras are hallucinations caused by migraines or other brain problems.
In no way am I intending offense here, but just because some people see and hear things that the majority don't, does that really make it wrong or imagined? I mean, look what happened with Joan of Arc- she had divine visions, and was eventually executed for being a witch because the priests didn't think that it was possible for God to talk to her and not them.

In a sense, it often feels the same with spiritual things nowadays. The people who are more open to the universe seem to be the ones most shunned. Because the majority don't see this stuff, so the minority must simply be crazy. Did the majority ever stop to wonder if they had it backwards- if they're just too short-sighted to notice what's in front of them?

Just a guess here, but if it exists, I'd say it was life energy. That would explain why it could change colors based on your health/emotions.
Kind of like if the soul spilled over to the outside of one's body? (Which makes sense... who ever said the soul came in a tidy little package, like a picture colored completely inside the lines?)

I don't really know my personal opinion on auras. I don't really have enough knowledge on the subject to know if they exist.

BadgerLordFiredrake

Quote from: Gwen A. Mouse on September 28, 2014, 07:19:27 AM

Speaking as a skeptic and a scientist, there is nothing that would allow you to "see" things that our vast array of instruments, along with many (if not all) scientists, could not detect.  Energy, quite literally, is either motion of particles, or those particles' potential to move.  What gives organisms energy is the digestion of food, so you're saying you're seeing that...  Of course, there's your brain's electricity, but that's extremely weak.  This book is pretty interesting.
baby turtle forever

Cornflower MM

Firedrake, I'm terribly sorry if this comes off as offensive. . . . But maybe you could try being a little more open-minded here, and forget some of the scientist-ey things you've learned (Not totally, but just enough) and embrace that, well, some things just aren't meant to be seen by your instruments. . .. . . I really am sorry if that comes off wrong, I just want to help you understand auras, and energy, better. :)

Rusvul

Problem with that is that you're asking a scientific-minded person to accept that something is unknowable or impossible to prove. The first goes against the very base of science- Science is about proving or disproving theories and finding more out about the world and universe we live in, you can't just accept that you'll never know something. The latter doesn't help make a case for auras, either. First, why would something be impossible to prove? Would the reason be unknowable? How and why is that unknowable? Second, if there is no solid evidence and no way to prove something's existence, then what purely scientific reason is there to believe that it is so?

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that this is absolutely wrong and auras can't exist. But given the amount of credible research done on auras (almost nil) and the results of that research... It doesn't seem particularly likely.

Cornflower MM

BadgerLordFiredrake

Quote from: Cornflower MM on September 28, 2014, 04:10:52 PM
Firedrake, I'm terribly sorry if this comes off as offensive. . . . But maybe you could try being a little more open-minded here, and forget some of the scientist-ey things you've learned (Not totally, but just enough) and embrace that, well, some things just aren't meant to be seen by your instruments. . .. . . I really am sorry if that comes off wrong, I just want to help you understand auras, and energy, better. :)
Open-minded is being able to accept evidence that clashes with your beliefs, not accepting things by word-of-mouth that clash with evidence.  "Aren't meant to be seen" isn't really a valid argument, as we can even see the extremely faint traces of cosmic radiation from the Big Bang.  Telling me "be open-minded" and "they're just not meant to be seen by instruments" doesn't really have any foundation, and to make an argument, it would help to answer some points I brought up in my post :)

And going "facepalm" won't help, either ;)
baby turtle forever

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Gwen A. Mouse on September 27, 2014, 05:37:21 AM
Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on September 25, 2014, 03:21:26 AM
The reasoning you give for auras can't possibly be correct. An aura a magnetic field? Impossible.
Actually, what I said exactly was this:
Quote from: Gwen A. MouseYou know how Earth has an electro-magnetic field around it, right? Auras are sort of like that, only with individual things.

I realize that that may be a bit misleading- I did not mean that auras were exactly like the EM field except in the respect that they are surrounding individual things, but rather that they were similar to the EM field only in the respect that they are energy fields surrounding an object. It wasn't the best analogy, but it was the best one I could think of at the time.

Quote from: PluggFiretail on September 25, 2014, 03:19:55 AM
Kinda off-topic (not really, based on the thread title ::) ), but do auras have layers? I thought I heard something like that once.
Yeah, pretty much. Not necessarily clear-cut divisions, like if you cut an onion in half and you can pick out all the individual layers, though. As a general rule (in my experience), auras are sort of like your "personal space"- some people's are bigger, some smaller, and some have definite layers of comfort/discomfort within that overall space, while the layers of others just kinda fade into each other.

I hope that all helped, rather than serving to make things more confusing.

Han said they were electromagnetic fields though, in the topic post.

I don't necessarily not believe in auras, just that explanation is faulty. I don't see any particular reason for them to exist, though.

I don't know anyone who sees auras, so I can't test their accuracy (which would be fascinating, but...) and I don't find much of any other data, either. My lack of belief (and non-belief) is simply caused by lack of information.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: BadgerLordFiredrake on September 29, 2014, 11:34:28 PM
Quote from: Cornflower MM on September 28, 2014, 04:10:52 PM
Open-minded is being able to accept evidence that clashes with your beliefs, not accepting things by word-of-mouth that clash with evidence.  "Aren't meant to be seen" isn't really a valid argument, as we can even see the extremely faint traces of cosmic radiation from the Big Bang.  Telling me "be open-minded" and "they're just not meant to be seen by instruments" doesn't really have any foundation, and to make an argument, it would help to answer some points I brought up in my post :)

And going "facepalm" won't help, either ;)

Never mind. Forget I said anything - I very obviously didn't say it right. Maybe I should stop clicking on this topic. . . . . . . .

Kitsune

Revive!
How does one feel an aura?

MatthiasMan

I'm not even sure I understand what people mean when they say they see someone's "aura."
I'm not even sure if I believe people can see them. Or maybe I'm seeing them and I just don't care or never noticed.

Kitsune

Revive.

Quote from: PluggFiretail on October 05, 2014, 07:58:00 PM
Revive!
How does one feel an aura?

There is much you must learn, young one. ;) Anyway, if you do not know, my aura's first layer is purple, the second layer is navy, and I think that the third is a bright color, like white. I can see and feel auras, as well as manipulate them to an extent.

Delthion

So these things have layers? I mean, it sounds pretty fanciful.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jukka the Sling

Yeah. I don't really believe they exist...
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Delthion

Yeah, I can't say what I really think, it would be edited in a heartbeat.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.