News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

What book(s) are you reading at the moment?

Started by DanielofRedwall, August 19, 2011, 02:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firehawke

Quote from: Russano the Wise on July 31, 2013, 07:29:03 PM
Quote from: Firehawke on July 31, 2013, 07:11:41 PM
It's no fun when you have to save up things!
Here's the Amazon link..
http://www.amazon.com/Sands-Nezza-Adventurers-Wanted-Book/dp/1609073290/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375294140&sr=8-1&keywords=adventurers+wanted+book+4

I don't buy very many fiction books (tend to get them from the public library), but this is a series that I try to get every book when it comes out!

Thanks for that link, although I normally buy new books on my kindle because they're cheaper. Unfortunately I looked for that book on the kindle yesterday and it doesn't seem to be on there. I would get it out at the library but I don't think my library has any of those books. 

You could always see if your library takes purchase suggestions...a number of them do.
Hopefully the book is available in Kindle format soon!
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Russano the Wise

QuoteYou could always see if your library takes purchase suggestions...a number of them do.
Hopefully the book is available in Kindle format soon!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my library does. I might do that sometime.
I'll have to check on my kindle after the book is out and see if it's available yet.
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

Ferrousferret

Yeah, most libraries do. If you say they should have something, they'll usually put it on a list.

Does yours link up to a county-wide or statewide system? I don't know where all is like that, just that Ohio is set up that way. You can search any library in the county & have it delivered. If you can't find it, they'll do a state search for you.

Russano the Wise

Quote from: Ferrousferret on August 02, 2013, 12:43:34 AM
Yeah, most libraries do. If you say they should have something, they'll usually put it on a list.

Does yours link up to a county-wide or statewide system? I don't know where all is like that, just that Ohio is set up that way. You can search any library in the county & have it delivered. If you can't find it, they'll do a state search for you.

My library used to be connected too I think three other libraries. But then something happened and they broke the connection too two of them. Now there's a [Name of town] Public Library and a [Name of other town that is close to the first one] Branch Library.   
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

Firehawke

You could see if your library offers and interlibrary loan exchange program.  Lots of libraries do (there might be a small charge), but they usually can't get brand new books from other libraries as soon as they come out...you might have to wait a few months.

Currently listening to Secret Garden (again)
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Russano the Wise

Quote from: Firehawke on August 02, 2013, 07:10:37 PM
You could see if your library offers and interlibrary loan exchange program.  Lots of libraries do (there might be a small charge), but they usually can't get brand new books from other libraries as soon as they come out...you might have to wait a few months.

I'll probably just wait for it to come out on the kindle or request it for my library to buy. If it does come out on the kindle I will probably be able to buy it because I've almost saved up enough for a new computer (only 10$ more). So once I buy that I'll be able to save up money for books again.

I'm reading Mariel of Redwall right now. I wasn't quite finished with Outcast of Redwall but the book was overdue at the library so I returned it and they didn't have another copy to pick up right away. I'll have to go back and check it out again soon so I can finish it. 

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Russano the Wise on August 02, 2013, 07:26:12 PM
I'm reading Mariel of Redwall right now. I wasn't quite finished with Outcast of Redwall but the book was overdue at the library so I returned it and they didn't have another copy to pick up right away. I'll have to go back and check it out again soon so I can finish it. 

I never had that problem b/c I bought all my Redwall book. It took me a long time to get (and find) all of them. :D
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Russano the Wise

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on August 03, 2013, 09:46:43 PM

I never had that problem b/c I bought all my Redwall book. It took me a long time to get (and find) all of them. :D

I only own eight of the Redwall books. I'd love to have the entire collection but it will be a looong time before that happens. I do own Mariel of Redwall though so I won't have to return that one to the library before I finish it.

Redwaller

Same here. I had some problem with finding Rogue Crew if I remember correctly.

SPSF kodachorm otter7486

im reading all hope is gone(its not a good book for younger readers cause of cusses,and other thing),triss,trains magazine,paperwork from today

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Redwaller on August 04, 2013, 01:49:42 PM

Same here. I had some problem with finding Rogue Crew if I remember correctly.

The last two were Tagg and Triss. A friend of my sister gave me Triss, and I got Tagg for Christmas. :D I found my Rogue Crew copy at a Barns and Noble book store.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Ferrousferret

They used to be really easy to find when I was a kid, but that sort of died down over the years. Up until I was (I want to say) 15, 16, my local book store used to have a full on Redwall shelf. They stopped carrying all Redwall & Castaways novels when Brian stopped publishing every years & only carried a handful & the new releases. The old book store went bankrupt & the new one currently only carries the popular ones in-store, which isn't surprising. It's not as big as the last one was. Still, though, when I collected the series originally, it did take me a while- and , at the time I started, there were only 15 of them & I was asking for three at a time every birthday & christmas! ;D

Now, on to business. Since I have a little extra this month, I'm thinking of starting a new series. I'm debating between nabbing Eye of the World (Wheel of Time #1) or going with HRR Martin's Game of you who are old enough to have read them, I know there are a few people under 13 on this forum.

Ferrousferret

*facepalm*

I hate when you make a long post on some forums & it selectively skip information at random when it posts. :-[

Anyway, I ended up going with Game of Thrones first, since I know less about it. That can go either way (shooting myself in the foot by getting bored & having no incentive to continue, or being so good, it keeps me more intrigued than usual to see what happens) but, I doubt it'll go too bad.

I also have to remember the name James Rollins. It seems he created some sort of hybrid Indiana Jones/ Uncharted series about a character named Omaha Dunn & it sounds interesting- primarily because that type of homage treasure hunting/ adventure story is on my to-do list & I want to know what I'm getting into.

AND, on top of that, my book store is FINALLY carrying the other Michael Crichton novels I wanted & the new Sword of Truth novel is set for release on the 20th. Seems, I suddenly have a lot of reading to do...

UNKN0WN