News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

De-Extinction: Is it good or bad?

Started by Izeroth, August 23, 2014, 06:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is de-extinction a good idea?

Yes
2 (18.2%)
No
9 (81.8%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Cornflower MM on August 27, 2014, 11:24:15 PM
Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on August 27, 2014, 07:52:30 PM
I don't necessarily see the point- or methodology- of "resurrecting" extinct creatures. 98% of life is extinct- and most of it is not our fault. Extinction is part of life, and I say, let it be, and learn from what happened.

And you say what I've been trying to get through in three sentences, while it took me how many? :P

I just have a gift with words, I guess. It happens when you are a writer.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Cornflower MM

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on August 28, 2014, 10:27:38 PM
I don't necessarily see the point- or methodology- of "resurrecting" extinct creatures. 98% of life is extinct- and most of it is not our fault. Extinction is part of life, and I say, let it be, and learn from what happened.

And you say what I've been trying to get through in three sentences, while it took me how many? :P

I just have a gift with words, I guess. It happens when you are a writer.

It might happen in your case mate, if so, more power to you but words don't come naturally to all writers, I would know
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Wylder Treejumper

I did not say that words necessarily come easily to writers, but that we have a gift with them: We manipulate them to do as we wish.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Jetthebinturong

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Izeroth

Considering the fact that we have cars that can drive themselves? I don't know about that . . . .

And, Izeroth, if they are put in zoos, think about all the info we DON'T know about these creatures. Something in the zoo could be completely and totally wrong, and then the moeny would be wasted.

We know a darn lot about passenger pigeons, and other animals that have gone extinct fairly recently. Mammoths are not too different from elephants, and I don't imagine their food or care must be incredibly different either.

(By the way, there is no way to bring back dinosaurs. Their DNA is much too old.)

I don't necessarily see the point- or methodology- of "ressurecting" extinct creatures. 98% of life is extinct- and most of it is not our fault. Extinction is part of life, and I say, let it be, and learn from what happened.

But what about extinctions that we caused? Those aren't supposed to be a part of life, or at least I don't think so. If we have the ability to right the damage we've done to the ecosystem, shouldn't we?

James Gryphon

Blatant gravedigging is fine, for Forum Games and the Cellars. Elsewhere it should be avoided, unless you have something to say that contributes to the topic.

Quote from: The Rules2. Bumping topics is allowed in most sections, as long as you have something worthwhile to contribute to the discussion.
« Subject to editing »

Izeroth

Ah, yeah... I was planning on editing that later.

Søren

Wit, wait....if there's no way to bring back dinosaurs, what exactly are we talking about here? Resurrecting ice age creatures or ones that humans have hunted to extinction?

I'm retired from the forum

The Mask

Mainly ones we made extinct. Passenger pigeon, Tasmanian tiger etc.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Izeroth

Quote from: Soren the Warrior on January 13, 2015, 03:23:42 PM
Wit, wait....if there's no way to bring back dinosaurs, what exactly are we talking about here? Resurrecting ice age creatures or ones that humans have hunted to extinction?

Some animals fit in both of those catagories. It's speculated that many of the North American megafauna went extinct from over hunting before the Europeans had even arrived.

Starla1431

It depends on what animal that they're trying to bring. If it's something like the tasmanian tiger, then I guess bringing it back won't be all bad since it died out recently and has a chance to adopt to it's homeland. Something like the mammoth, I don't think would fit in today's world.

The Mask

I disagree. Look at Siberia, Russia. Mostly uninhabited. Grasslands are dying without mammoths.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: The Mask on February 09, 2015, 06:01:19 AM
I disagree. Look at Siberia, Russia. Mostly uninhabited. Grasslands are dying without mammoths.

Why? Also, about the passenger pigeons and the like, wildlife has adapted to this species's absence and with new birds, trying to fill up a hole that is already filled up makes no sense.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

The Mask

Pollination. They need large herbivores to spread seeds and graze. What other large herbivores live in Russia?